Outside day

Just got in after a day in the allotment and garden! It has been a lovely sunny day and I can't believe that I prefer to be outside when it is fine, as I never used to be like this even though I always loved gardening in my little garden in Sheffield.



This morning after a long walk on the beach, I have replanted violas in the heavy metal planter by the front door and have dug in a load of cottage plants in the back garden, despite Joan flattening most of them. (pic). I always loved the planter as we bought it from Ecclesall antique centre in Sheffield, and its heavy industrial "look" reminds me of the city.


All the strawberry plants have been potted up,the front garden weeded and lawn cut. I have even cleared another 36 square feet of the allotment, moved and cleaned the chicken house and weighted it down as the badger nearly dug his way inside it last night.




Perhaps it is my weight loss but I even had enough energy to walk the dogs up the Gop again, and the views of the village were lovely. With the dogs groomed it is now almost impossible to identify Maddie from George,( see pic...which one I have no idea) and I have found myself sounding like my grandmother as I have been mixing up their names constantly.

I wonder too if I am getting more antisocial the older I get, as I have really enjoyed not chatting to anyone except the odd neighbour. Gardening and walking allows you to think properly about a whole range of things, and I only used to do that in Sheffield when I was commuting on the 97 bus to work. Today I was thinking about cinema quotes -A Sky Movies poll of 1,000 UK film fans and critics picked their fav quotes and I did find it slightly bizarre that Kenneth Williams' "Infamy! Infamy! They've all got it in for me!" - won! from Carry On Cleo (1964). "Remember you're fighting for this woman's honour, which is probably more than she ever did." - Groucho Marx (Rufus T Firefly) Duck Soup (1933) came third!

My favourites would be

"This is the people's war! It is our war! We are the fighters! Fight it, then! Fight it with all that is in us, and may God defend the right" spoken by the vicar at the end of Mrs. Miniver (1942)

"What a dump.!!!" spat out by Bette Davis in Beyond the Forest (1949)

"You're maudlin and full of self-pity. You're magnificent!!!" spoken by Addison De Witt in All About Eve (1950)


ps. Shocking turn of events in The Archers tonight, Siobhan has liver cancer and wants Brian and Jennifer to take Ruairi ! after her death (http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/archers/catch/synopsis.shtml) excellent twist!!
Pic of the trio watching me garden

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love all comments Except abusive ones from arseholes