Pan's Labyrinth


Pan's Labyrinth at the newly vamped "arthouse" cinema in Theatre Clwyd is not for the faint hearted! Dreadfully brutal and frighteningly dark it takes an hour or so to "grow "on you, but hook you it does and the nightmare visuals linger in the mind long after you leave the cinema.

The story is not THAT original for those who have sat through Jacob's Ladder (1990/I), and you can either choose the nice fantasy ending or the sad realism of wartime Spain as experienced by an abused ten year old girl, Ofelia ( Ivana Baquero), strangely for me I chose the latter ! Watch out for Sergi López as Ofelia's psychopathic step father! the nastiest film villain I have seen in a long time!
The new cinema looks great and very comfortable. I was very impressed! Looking at the programme or forthcoming films, someone in management seems to have got their finger out and have picked a nice selection this spring and summer ! (oh there IS a god!!!!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love all comments Except abusive ones from arseholes