The Trelawnyd Tapestry


 Ma Manley asked me around to talk about her ideas for a history archive for Trelawnyd . She has researched so much more than I could ever had done and together with hubby Laurie , we cobbled together a few possible initiatives  for 2027. We need to share the historical documents already collected for future generations into an accessible archive and hope that one special initiative in this history journey will be the Trelawnyd Tapestry 

We hope that the school and the friendship Group  and ordinary villagers will take part in designing and making  a village tapestry over the autumn and winter of 2027 . A tapestry that can act as a snapshot of today’s  history and which can focus on getting the community together and focused on a joint project.

The Flower Show, Production Team, Go Green Group, Youth Club and TCA could all be represented as well as village heroes such as Auntie Glad,The Male Voice Choir, Di Ellis, and Michael Ralli amongst others 

I think it’s a great idea 



51 comments:

  1. northriding8:57 am

    It's a lovely idea, visual and informative, and I would guess, beautiful too. Something tangible like that for people to see in years to come, rather than read it in a book - who knows, if it survives for a thousand years it may be as famous as 'the other one'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I m all about being immortalised xx

      Delete
  2. sue p9:56 am

    What a brilliant idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. πŸ˜€πŸ˜€πŸ˜€πŸ˜€πŸ˜€πŸ΄σ §σ ’σ ·σ ¬σ ³σ ΏπŸ§΅πŸͺ‘πŸ™

      Delete
  3. Oooh, I'm getting excited, and I don't live in Trelawnyd! I'm sure the whole village will want to be a part of it. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well a few will, I’m resigned by the apathy of people with normal lives

      Delete
  4. Everyone who has lived there, is a colorful stitch in the history of the place.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a great idea; and get everyone involved.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Another initiative to get people together

      Delete
  6. That sounds like a brilliant idea. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Me too! An impossible feat here in the US... But i think maybe you could pull it off.. :) Hugs! deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous7:23 am

      I have a book on the creation of a series of tapestries of a small community in the foothills of the Sierra Nevada in Northern California. I worked on 3-4 of them along with many who lived there. It was sewn with wool on linen and each tapestry depicts an aspect of the lives in the community. You and Ma Manley are welcome to look at it anytime.
      weavinfool

      Delete
  8. The tapestry sounds fabulous. I'm wondering who/ how many people have the skill and time nowadays in 2027 to produce such a needlework treasure?In the 80-90s it was popular here to make ''history of our town[s] ''quilts, a much simpler project--and they were made by skilled guilds and sewing groups. Not easy to produce and complete, and sadly no longer valued.In the event the tapestry gets made, where will it be displayed and how/ how will it be cared for, textiles fade and rot/ how would it be safely stored and again, where? All things I m sure Ms Manley has in mind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barbara Anne7:32 pm

      One major consideration is the tapestry would have to be kept out of direct sunshine in all seasons and times of day from nearby windows. A textile museum could tell you about what type electrical lights would be kind to the fabrics, embroidery floss, and yarn. That is the extent of my knowledge on this subject!

      Hugs!

      Delete
  9. You are a very important person in your community, John. You make ideas into realities.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous2:47 pm

    WONDERFUL IDEA!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/How_to_Make_an_American_Quilt

      Delete
  11. What a wonderful idea. I never thought about it before but a tapestry is not so different from a photo album. I'll be looking at tapestries differently now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It’s about the effort and love put into the stitching

      Delete
    2. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/How_to_Make_an_American_Quilt

      Delete
  12. I love the idea and think the tapestry should include Ma Manley and her wonderfully creative book of Trelawnyd! Also, Trelawnyd's other choir that you belong to.

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous8:35 pm

      I agree

      Lee πŸ₯‚πŸΈ

      Delete
  13. I wonder who would embroider a mature gentleman in pink crocs moseying down the lane with various dogs and cats and a turkey called Boris?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some kind of bribe may be required.

      Delete
    2. I want to be immortalised lol

      Delete
    3. northriding9:09 am

      Be wary of arrows. Just saying xx

      Delete
  14. What a wonderful idea. Some day it will be loaned to the British Museum.

    ReplyDelete
  15. MarisAna4:53 am

    I think that's a wonderful idea and should bring much pleasure in the making too.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Look up the Last Invasion Tapestry, made in the 1990s by local women to commemorate the 'invasion' by the French near Fishguard, foiled (as the story goes) by local women in traditional Welsh costume. The background to the making of the tapestry should be useful. I knew the four women who were the main drivers behind it, and can tell you that it took a massive commitment, although you could always go for something a bit more modest!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did…amazing 🏴󠁧󠁒󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿

      Delete
  17. What a fabulous idea! If anyone can get this organized and done, it's you, John. Please keep us updated!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Anonymous4:05 pm

    Indeed a magnificent idea!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I pictured you knitting the tapestry like Queen Haelena in House of the Dragon πŸ˜€ Prince Juan Grisarien πŸ’ Wonderful idea! Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Am I too camp for house of the dragon ?

      Delete
    2. Of course not! You would be a fantastic dragon rider πŸ˜ˆπŸ’

      Delete
  20. How clever! I wonder if many towns will do likewise in turn.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi John, I am reading every day but most of the time I am unable to comment. Something keeps blocking me!

    ReplyDelete
  22. That's a great idea. I can't wait to hear how it turns out!

    ReplyDelete
  23. With the Bayeux Tapestry in the news, more will be receptive to the idea..and it is a great idea!

    ReplyDelete

I love all comments Except abusive ones from arseholes