Bake Off



I bought sunflowers from Aldi tonight.
They look cheerful in the kitchen as the autumn evening draws in. 
The Great British Bake Off starts tonight


Another signal that winter is almost here.
I’ve lit the fire as Roger is gleefully chasing a daddy long legs around the kitchen . 
It’s a habit William used to do with honey bees in the garden and it pleases me to see Roger playing the same games
Weaver is sat under my desk and has already grumbled at Mary as she ambled to the sofa to sleep her old lady sleep.
I’m counselling all day tomorrow so have put beef and vegetables in the slow cooker with stock , chillies and Worcestershire sauce…..beef stew is a great supper on an autumn night.

I will leave you with this video , which a friend sent me this morning , a memory from 2018
The best memory of an awful year…..thanks to you guys I raised 5 grand for Samaritans , even though I looked like Shelley Winters in a sleeping bag



66 comments:

  1. Yorkshire Liz7:12 pm

    Jet propelled John! What a wonderful and breathtaking memory! Time to do it all again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The scariest thing was the land rover drive up the mountain

      Delete
  2. Anonymous7:25 pm

    Oh, I wish I had the nerve! But I suppose, once I’m strapped in there is nothing to do but enjoy…hmmmm. Olivia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a good challenge for a dreadful time

      Delete
  3. Nigella is the star of the new bake off ! The Queen Prue is dead long live the new Queen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG, Prue is gone from Bake-Off?!?! She's not literally dead, I hope. I quite liked her and her colourful fashion sense.

      Although I could have a thing for Nigella, I must say.

      We in North America will see this year's Bake-Off next year. It takes a year to be broadcast here, I don't know why.

      Delete
    2. Nigella won me over in the first episode a real queen

      Delete
    3. GBBO was lovely as the first of this series. Now if they can keep it up - GRAND!

      Delete
    4. I noticed the bakes were simpler

      Delete
  4. You're a braver man than I, Gunga Din! Made my stomach turn just watching from the comfort of my armchair. But what a fantastic amount you raised! Did you enjoy it, or was it definitely a one off? xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous8:24 pm

    Is Bun still around?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would never have the nerve to zoom in the air like that, John!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I remember your zip line fundraiser, John. You were so brave to do that, but it DOES look like fun. Like being Superman for a day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You do not look fat, why do you put yourself down. I do understand it is a British male thing, but still. And you were super brave. What a stupid sport, we should have paid you NOT to do it, lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You don't have to point it out, people see your warm expression, you kindness, hear your lovely voice, we don't care about your weight or judge you for that [except in a health sense which is none of our business.] BTW Your sunflowers are gorgeous, flowers are so important in one's home.

      Delete
  9. Anonymous9:32 pm

    Oh my Giddy Aunt! John you are going to live a long life! Many more adventures to come .That’s also proof you have the determination the guts and the glory to be brave for others .

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh dear god!!! And that was only 8 years ago. You’re a braver man than I.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Did you get a new phone?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Was this the zip trip to benefit someone? If so, I remember it! YIKES! You'd not get me to do that - no way. Could you breathe?
    Brilliant to come home to beef stew tomorrow. Your cottage will smell divine. Be sure Mary, Roger, Bun and Weaver cannot knock your slow cooker on the floor so they get the stew and you don't. It might be best to have the slow cooker behind a door they cannot open. Just sayin!

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was for the Samaritans help line , for suicide prevention babs

      Delete
  13. Here I watched people ziplining past niagara falls. They were suspended rather like parachuting. Belly down looks so. Much. Worse! No. Just no.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Jo in Auckland2:57 am

    Wow, was that eight years ago! I remember it. I thought you were fantastic for doing it despite not liking heights. I think you raised a fabulous amount for your charity.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anonymous3:16 am

    Hammond's accent hurts my ears. I cannot bear listening to her so am unable to watch. I have watched the Bake Off since the first viewing. I loved Mel and Sue and Mary but not Prue or Matt. I even watch the Juniors. Is a lovely show with no swearing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nigella has rebooted the franchise quite nicely

      Delete
  16. That looks wonderful. A few minutes of panic, but superb.
    I don't watch Bake-Off any more, I find it's always much the same.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Watch it cro, Nigella has given it some sex appeal

      Delete
  17. Carol Caldwell6:42 am

    I love Nigella in Bake Off. It's a refreshing change to have someone younger. She was who I would have chosen. She fits in perfectly. I too remember that zip wire. I can't believe it was that long ago.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Anonymous6:45 am

    Is Weaver the bitch you’ve won over or was that one Bun?
    weavinfool

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is indeed…..she’s very cuddly but only in the dark when I’m in bed

      Delete
    2. Jackie7:47 pm

      OMG John, I spewed my drink when I read that -thinking of our beloved Weaver! She would have SO enjoyed that comment about her namesake!!!

      Delete
  19. Anonymous10:54 am

    How have been able to determine the cat that has stayed with you is Weaver?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ultimately how she behaves…Bun was physically more demonstrative

      Delete
  20. It will take a couple of years for the Nigella version to show up here, Amazon Prime Video has about a dozen series of cooking shows with Mary Berry, I keep nodding off the a nap while she is cooking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah the soothing tones of granny Berry

      Delete
  21. This must have been before I started visiting you here. I think I would have remembered this.
    Oh dear god, no.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I needed a diversion from being newly separated….it achieved its purpose

      Delete
  22. Camille11:40 am

    I do remember your zip adventure John and still get heart palps imagining myself doing the same. Nope,nope,nope! Sunflowers are so wonderful displayed in the home before the long winter to come. Love that fox platter! X

    ReplyDelete
  23. John, you are a very kind and lovely man inside and out, your appearance is the least important part of you.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love that, flying downhill above the ground! Such fun.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Anonymous1:20 pm

    I can't imagine anything worse than that zip line thing.

    Ceci

    ReplyDelete
  26. I hate that i have no way to see Bake Off... No way unless i put out some money that is.... and i won't.. I used to catch some clips and even old episodes on YouTube ... but they have gotten pretty good at keeping it off there now... Do let us know what you think of the new season... i look forward to that.. Hugs! deb

    ReplyDelete
  27. OMG - what guts❣️

    ReplyDelete
  28. Oh Lordy that zipline....you're a better man than I, dudeboy!

    ReplyDelete
  29. `For me - that zipline is a no deal! But I loved that little fox platter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’m not a fan..I may use it as a gift on a blog quiz

      Delete

I love all comments Except abusive ones from arseholes