The Finlay Memorial Cup

 Today is the first day of my holiday from the hospice. 
I’ve kind of wasted the day making mental to do lists, but on the positive side, I’ve also made a chicken and leek stew which I ate with some relish. Roger had a haircut and the stew leftovers 
Mary has a gippy tum , so had chicken and rice.
I’ve had to shampoo the bedroom carpet 💩💨..poor old gal

The First of the flower Show trophies was delivered home today. 


It’s the Finlay Memorial Cup a solid silver cup of good style and value
Seeing the cup again, prompted me to clean his headstone, tucked away by the agapanthus in the front garden 

And I will share this blog entry and memory of Finlay from 24 years ago

A Happy Dog

I was reading Yorkshire Pud's blog last night and was reminded of  an area in Sheffield I used to know very well. YP rented an allotment off Hagg Hill, which was the back road between the surburbs of Crooks and Walkley and Rivlin Valley which led into Hillsborough.
At rush hour these essentially country roads were often gridlocked with commuters so  the usual five minute journey across the valley could take a frustrating half hour or so.
Back in 2002, we had only one dog, a bouncy, lively Welsh Terrier called Finlay.
Finlay loved Traffic jams , for it was the only time he was " allowed" to drive the car.
Ok when I say drive the car, he used to sit on my knee with his paws on the steering wheel and his head sometimes out of an open window, a position of power where he could  watch the world move slowly by as we edged our way through the traffic home.
His happiness of this simple little treat always made my day.
On one of these treat days, We were spotted by the traffic police. I never saw the policecar behind me, so the sharp knock on the window threw me slightly
I wound down the window fully and Finlay stuck his head out to say hello to a slightly amused policeman
" What are you doing? " the policeman asked as Finlay smiled broadly at him with big goo goo eyes.
" He likes to drive" I said lamely
" Has he past his test?" The policeman asked
" well  no but , I do the peddles for him " I tried to be funny
" In the back" the policeman ordered with a smile, and before he walked back to his car he kissed a very happy Finlay very gently on the head.”


Finlay leading the charge with Meg and George




15 comments:

  1. 😂😂😂 💕💕💕

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous7:41 pm

    Lovely memory X

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous8:06 pm

    So first there was Finlay , then Meg, William, Mary and Roger
    The terriers

    Lee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Constance , Mabel Winnie and Dorothy ( the bulldogs)

      Delete
  4. Anonymous8:11 pm

    I can see why you love Welsh terriers so much

    Keith

    Xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. You chanced upon the right officer that day. Most don't have a sense of humour and gentility these days. The military style training has a lot to answer for (I have friends who went through it)
    Understaffing doesn't help...as in so many fields

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's one of the reasons I love British police - they DO have a sense of humour. I hope Mary is feeling better. Upset tums are not pleasant. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The first man I kissed was a policeman in full uniform 1988

      Delete
  7. That is the sweetest story.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, now I'm in tears. How sweet and how I wish Finlay was still with you though I know he lives on in your heart along with George, Meg, William, Winnie, Dorothy, and Albert. Did I omit anyone?

    Big hugs!

    ReplyDelete

I love all comments Except abusive ones from arseholes