The End Of Oak Street

 


Set in an American Small town Suburb in 1982, this dino thriller is clearly a homage to Spielberg’s ET and Poltergeist as well as the obvious nod to Jurassic Park. The Platt family ( Anne Hathaway and Ewan McGregor) have a troubled marriage. Daughter Audrey (Maisie Stella) is finding her way before college and son Brian ( Christian Convery) worries about his parents and is bullied by local boys . 
The family dog Starbuck makes up the family. 
Suddenly a large circle of the  neighbourhood is inexplicably transported into prehistoric times, and the family has to band together in order to survive the resulting dinosaur threats. 
It’s a daft film, which entertains but doesn’t quite thrill. 
David Robert Mitchell wisely makes the family fallible. Closet lesbian Audrey hides in the garage to gain solace from the Steve Winwood song Valerie, Brian’s only injury comes from an encounter with the bully and father Greg wears some unforgivably nasty shorts and boring white y fronts 

The dinosaurs too are not quite Spielberg. We have slightly unbelievable. giant snakes, copulating herbivores being photographed by Hathaway( the most amusing moment in the entire film) , and quick moving crocodile lizards who know how to break into houses 


Ok the final message is pure optimistic Spielberg , family is everything , and always follow your heart and in the end 
Does the dog survive ? 

I can’t possibly say 



16 comments:

  1. Anonymous7:45 pm

    I adore a lesbian sub blot

    Lee

    ReplyDelete
  2. I suspect my son would enjoy this, but it's not one for me! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous9:06 pm

    I liked it , though Ewan’s accent is dreadful

    Keith

    Xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous9:40 pm

    Essential for films these days. LGBTQTI, person , person of colour , a person with a disability…the rest follows.
    I just hope the dog survives.
    Have just seen some fabulous Nordic films and one from Brazil .

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an odd plot and subplot. Generally, dinosaur films aren't for me. The scariest film I've ever seen was The Shining and that wasn't too bad as I'd already read the book!

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dinosaurs! Love them! I always root for them too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Carol Caldwell6:17 am

    I love dinosaur films however bad they are so this is one for me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Carol Caldwell7:06 am

    Every time I comment I have to put my name in again. I am just trying again to see if I have fixed it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous7:06 am

    Didn't work.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The TImes should really hire you as a movie reviewer.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have never used to word "daft" and it's such a perfect word. You gave me a good idea of the film but then called it daft and now I know!
    It does make me wonder how they got Hathaway and McGregor to sign on.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for the review John.... Hubby and i are going tomorrow.... date matinee... lol It doesn't have to be perfect... hoping its a bit of fun.... Our favorite restaurant (Mexican) is opening up that day after a 2 week vacation... win/win...Hugs! deb

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think I will wait to see this on the 'small box' at home rather then go to the cinema ... as long as the dog survives!! At least the idea of 'quick moving crocodile lizards' breaking into homes won't keep me awake at night. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Aren't lawyers the favourite snack of dinosaurs?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anonymous3:31 pm

    Picking on dogs or cats is a NO for me; I still can't read Lad, a Dog, or Old Yeller. And I like Debra's crack about lawyers!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh, I’m seeing this tomorrow!
    Love me some dinos!
    Also, are these hoochie-daddy shorts Magnum PI style? Because I love me a daddy in short-shorts!

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete

I love all comments Except abusive ones from arseholes