Let Not Poor Nellie Starve


Nell Gwynn by Jessica Swale , is a warm, witty, bawdy and at times moving romp into Nell Gwynn’s rise as London’s first leading lady actress. A former prostitute, hawker and orange saleswoman , this quick witted and humorous survivor of the slums developed as a talented actress through natural skill and sheer tenacity. Played with some gusto and cheeky charm  by Rose Shalloo the audience at the Grovernsor Out Door Theatre in Chester, warmed immediately to her rather moving scenes with King Charles 11 ( Guy Wolfe) and I think we all felt that we learned rather more about the characters than his final words of “ let not poor Nellie Starve”


 

2 comments:

  1. Bel Gwynn has always been one of my favourite figures from history.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous11:31 pm

    I’m home after Docks …..looks good

    ReplyDelete

I love all comments Except abusive ones from arseholes