How Green Is Our Valley


Richard Llewelyn wrote How Green Was My Valley even though he was English and seldom visited Wales.
I always thought that Sara Allgood who played mother Beth to be the only Welsh actor in the cast but recently I found out that she was indeed Irish. 

I always loved this scene, where her sons return home, even though , that house would have been a two up two down in real life

The rain that we’ve had overnight for the past two nights has lifted the countryside around Trelawnyd back into a hopeful green. Things feel fresh again. The Velvet Voiced Linda and her volunteers held an afternoon tea in the hall this afternoon . 

I missed it

I took a card round to the youngest Randa gal, who has got a’s and a+’s in every exam . I hear she’s planning a career in medicine. I’m so proud of that little girl who I used to make zombie cookies with and who brushed Winnie’s teeth with the Prof’s toothbrush. 

Ten years ago I wrote this blog about Liv 

Enjoy

What made you laugh last?

Now, I'm not talking about a furtive titter at a joke, or a polite ha-ha in a casual small talk conversation here.
I am talking about an unrestrained, let rip chuckle or belly laugh that underlines a moment of pure mirth.
Yesterday I took the girls through the churchyard to see if the wedding flowers had been left around the Church door. Liv, who is Margo Channing in a 6  year old's body , skipped around the graves like an Marta from The Sound Of Music before asking about the large 13th Century Cross which stands on the South lawn.
" It's a prayer Cross" I explained, " it's where services were taken before the church was built"
Liv rolled her eyes theatrically then rather dramatically clasped her hands in prayer and knelt at the foot of the cross with all of the grace and chutzpah of a drag Audrey Hepburn in The Nun's Story.

Now this tickled me. I am not quite sure just why...I think it was all just too camp for one Wednesday afternoon to cope with , but I laughed a big belly laugh laugh all over the churchyard

When did you laugh last?
And why? ”

37 comments:

  1. Do you know, I don't think I've ever watched How Green was my Valley, or if I have, it was many moons ago. I must look out for it.
    Well done to Liv. A fantastic achievement. Her sweet innocence in that story is charming. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It’s a lovely watch , Maureen o hara is especially good

      Delete
  2. Anonymous8:59 pm

    Sweet squire,, you adopted two girls when you needed them

    Lee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They adopted me when I needed them dear Lee

      Delete
  3. I think I need to watch How Green Was My Valley.

    Love your Liv story and now I can safelt say that the last thing that made me laugh was ...
    "Liv rolled her eyes theatrically then rather dramatically clasped her hands in prayer and knelt at the foot of the cross with all of the grace and chutzpah of a drag Audrey Hepburn in The Nun's Story."
    Yup.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Went to the movies today with the GrandLittles... 5 and 7yr old girls and i couldn't help but giggle at their giggles at the cartoon movie ... sometimes they gave a down right belly laugh at some silly thing... They had made me smile and laugh more times than i can remember.... a downright belly laugh? i don't know if i ever have... Hugs! deb

    ReplyDelete
  5. A few days ago it was horribly hot and humid and I was reminded when our younger son (a former preemie who weighted 2lb 3.5oz at birth - 3 months early) said when he was about 3 years old and it was a horribly hot and humid day, "I feel like it's raining inside my clothes" . So true and I had to laugh all over again!
    What a sweet story about Liv and I could just see Audrey, too.

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that short video, it always makes me emotional. As for the last thing that made me laugh, I found this yesterday.

    https://www.facebook.com/reel/4606517486302909

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am sad to say that I really cannot remember.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I remember being seriously moved by this film and laughing at your original post.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yorkshire Liz8:20 am

    I am old enough to remember that original post! However....belly laughs are not my thing, but a few weeks ago I went to the cinema to see Masters Of The Universe, and happened to walk in with five reet Yorkshire lads (young enough to be my sons) and somehow we all ended up sitting together. Turned out this was the third time we had all seen the film, and so kept each other entertained throughout sharing He-Man info and silly asides. This was probably the most fun I have ever had in the cinema.
    As we left, as if all the boys had rehearsed it, they each gave me a hug and a kiss on the cheek.
    "I'm going to bring me mam to see this tomorrow. If you've loved it so much, then she will too."
    There's no answer to such a compliment apart from to laugh out loud at the surprise of it, and to deliver a swat round the ear. Which made the others laugh too. A lovely memory. Only in Yorkshire!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a lovely capture of the film, it definitely brings tears to the eye. And little Liv perfect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She’s an actress of giant proportions

      Delete
  12. If she can laugh, and make people laugh, she will be the best doctor they have ever met.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Camille11:52 am

    The retelling of the Liv story just made me laugh as did the Yorkshire Liz adventure with the charming lads sharing the movie with her. Both pure gold.

    ReplyDelete
  14. My children and my grandchildren make me laugh. We are some seriously funny people.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love to make people laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Anonymous3:01 pm

    Kids grow up fast. That’s a funny story… I can picture her doing that. lol. Best of luck to her on her career choice in medicine. Am sure she will succeed. Cali

    ReplyDelete
  17. I never knew Richard Llewellyn was English! Apparently he was of Welsh descent, for what that's worth.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Barbara Anne8:36 pm

    Dearie me. I know she's a sweet beloved old lady now but you and the rest of us aren't ready to say good-bye to her yet and am glad she's still with you today.

    Huge hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I try to laugh with every patient I can.
    Apart from the professional laugh, I cannot remember when I last laughed a genuine belly laugh. That ain't good.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Anonymous12:50 pm

    My daughter is getting married in 59 days and has just had her hen do. A video clip of all her friends dancing with (very realistic) face masks of her fiance on, was sent to me over the hen weekend. I laughed so much I literally cried and my dog just looked at me in disgust! I have kept the clip for when I feel a bit down. Tricia

    ReplyDelete

I love all comments Except abusive ones from arseholes