I started work at the hospice seven years ago. This full time job saved my cottage from sale, as well as my sanity from the prospect of leaving Trelawnyd and I shall always be grateful for the hospice, who took on a retired nurse in the twilight of his career.
I was a deputy director of a Samaritans branch back then.
And I left the charity as soon as I started to understand the stressors of the hospice
Hospice and Samaritans don’t mix.
I worked as a Samaritan for over five years.
In that time I talked to literally thousands of people on the phone
Just one will stick into my psychi for life.
I referred to this caller as Jim.
Jim, was a young teacher.
He was polite and well spoken
Articulate and emotional
And he had already taken several tablets before ringing me and told me that he wanted to hear a human voice before the medications took hold.
He told me, he was depressed.
He told me, his class of 30 had underachieved in their exams
He told me he had failed
And he told me he had had enough of living.
A small gulp and he swallowed another tablet.
And my initial rapport felt lost,
I found out he was sat in his car at the seaside
But he said no more.
I tried to work out his accent
Anything that could point to where he was in the UK.
We talked about music,
His family, his friends
And I tried every trick in the book to help him stop short
But every few minutes there was another gulp, and another tablet was swallowed.
After an hour I waved at my colleague for help and she came over to listen in
Eventually she shrugged her shoulders gently and rested her hand on my shoulder
She felt as helpless as I did.
Jim started to slur his words a little. He cried.
And asked questions of his own,
I asked him permission to ring for an ambulance , I asked for his location but he refused politely,
Knowing I could do nothing without his say so.
I talked about my dogs, a film I had seen, his favourite tv show.
And he laughed
And suddenly he said “ Goodbye John. Thank you
And the phone went dead.
I never knew what happened to Jim
I scoured the news channels daily online but failed to find out the sad tale of a young teacher’s suicide
I had a lengthy de briefing, but I knew meeting that sad polite young man on the phone that night almost crippled me

You were there with him when he needed you. And he touched your soul.
ReplyDeleteHe did, and I wish I had helped him more
DeleteEven if you were unable to talk him out of his plan, you helped him by being a friendly, caring voice, who listened, without judgement. xx
ReplyDeleteI hated Sam’s for a long time after this
DeleteGut wrenching for your care John, you will always carry this you. Damn anyone who says suicide is an easy out, over the years there has been two persons in our family who have taken their own life and they were the bravest and most understood and we live with all the questions still. Jan in Castle Gresley
ReplyDeleteI hate it when people say “ easy way out “
DeleteIt’s a last choice
Jesus John!
ReplyDeleteJESUS !
Lee x
Sorry darling xx
DeleteOh, John, what caring aid you gave Jim on the other end of the phone, a kind person who listened and shared stories with him, and he no doubt understood you wanted to help him, to lighten his load, but he was determined. You did your best for Jim and all of the others you spoke with because that's the kind of person you are.
ReplyDeleteHugs!
I still wish i knew what happened
DeleteYou gave Jim what he wanted... a kind, caring human voice as he left this world.
ReplyDeleteI'm curious as to what triggered the retelling of this experience today.
A radio four discussion on suicide in general doctors …a suicide every three weeks !
DeleteI am touched and impressed that Jim had such a caring special person to figuratively hold his hand on his final journey. You couldn't change what happened but you stood by his side and changed how it happened. You did your best.
ReplyDeleteI remember this incident and the cottage being listed, the terrible time---how far you have come, again so impressive. Be comforted and be proud of all you have accomplished.
Whatever the outcome, I am sure you gave him comfort. I suppose it is like that for most call takers who work or volunteer in similar places, that is you rarely would know of an outcome.
ReplyDeleteThis takes me back my old friend - sending a gentle hug
ReplyDeleteOh, I would have found that unbearable, especially not knowing the aftermath.
ReplyDelete