Liars

 This is a muse whilst at counselling work , not a personal reflection 


Never ask a liar why they lied!
Because to explain the first lie they usually have to create another one and before long the story becomes so complicated that everything can no longer be remembered .

This is how deception works.
It does not stay small,
It grows,
It changes details , 
It re works conversations 
And eventually the liar may even start believing the version they created.
Because accepting the truth would mean accepting responsibility .
So stop waiting for honesty from someone who has ready shown you that protecting their image means more than protecting your trust.

Closure does not always come from their confession, sometimes closure comes from recognising the patterns! 
accepting what their behaviour has revealed 
And walking away

36 comments:

  1. Anonymous1:57 pm

    Someone let you down I’m so sorry
    Lizzy d. B

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No not a problem of mine , just musing regarding my counselling

      Delete
  2. Barbara Anne2:01 pm

    How very - and how sadly - true. Take our "Liar, Felon, and other horrible monikers In Chief" for instance. PLEASE, take him!

    Big hugs for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My first husband admitted to me after we divorced that he had lied to me about things that didn't even matter.
    Which leads me to what a woman I used to know said which was, "Do you know what liars do? They LIE! Liars lie."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like something shirleymcclaine would yell in a movie

      Delete
  4. This sounds like you are speaking from recent experience. I do hope not. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not recent memory , more a counselling muse

      Delete
  5. "Oh, what a tangled web we weave / When first we practice to deceive."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. “ liar liar, your knickers are on fire! “

      Delete
  6. The truth is so much easier to remember.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lying liars will always lie. To others. To themselves.
    Liars are not worth our time, love or attention.
    Not even our pity.

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  8. American politics spring to mind.. . .

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wisdom.
    Sometimes hard to believe that someone is lying when you have given them your trust

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Understood….the red flags wave albeit gently

      Delete
  10. Sometimes a liar will readily accept responsibility for lying and then do it again, right away. Because "accepting responsibility" is just another lie. (I had a coworker like this.) A congenitally dishonest person is simply unable to stop.

    ReplyDelete
  11. SG and I were just talking about this having had a recent acquaintance who has a problem with the truth. We once had a friend who was a pathological liar. He was charming, intelligent, talented, and clearly damaged. He was on my technical support team at work and was the only one who could resolve any issue for our team of artists and editors. The friendship became impossible (the stories grew and grew and began to not match up). I gently questioned things a couple of times and the behavior just got worse. It was heartbreaking.

    ReplyDelete
  12. All devastatingly true! I know from personal experience.

    I also just read your post from yesterday. Sometimes we just have to doggie paddle to get through the hard times but you will be swimming again full force. I have no doubt. XO

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anonymous6:16 pm

    OK, I have accepted that Big Liar and all the attendant liars are unfixable. Now if we could just all walk away.....

    Ceci

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous6:34 pm

      Put the liar down
      Walk away from the liar

      Lee🍸

      Delete
    2. Walking away is best ceci x

      Delete
    3. Lee….i suspect you don’t do liars well

      Delete
    4. Anonymous8:44 am

      You just summed up the Democratic party perfectly, and yes, i too wish we could just walk away

      Delete
  14. Traveller9:17 pm

    Interesting. I need to think about this and apply it to the times that I have lied.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anonymous10:27 pm

    My dad used to say “ he’d rather know a thief than a liar..you know what’s happening with a thief whereas with a liar ??

    That’s from Tweetart

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think it was Judge Judy who used to say that it was easier to tell the truth because it was easier to remember. If you lie you tend to forget the last version. She was right.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Anonymous7:36 am

    Yep, reading this I guess I just realised that is the situation I am dealing with, the person said dreadful things, then made up lies about me as to why I was the problem, and have then just added more lies and more dreadful things on top to presumably I now just realise to hide the first lot of dreadful things and lies and to retaliate and attack because of their own issues. I didn't think of it before in terms of lies, but that is what it all is, they aren't even being truthful about their own issues. Thank you John for this little explanation and moment of clarity!. (don't want to say my name just in case they somehow find this!)

    ReplyDelete
  18. That's a perfect description of trump. I hope we can walk away from him and I can't wait for that day.

    ReplyDelete

I love all comments Except abusive ones from arseholes