Little Korea

 



In an old post I bemoaned the much maligned phenomenon of the dinner party. 
It still exists I guess,  outside the old formalities, but now it’s called “ supper with friends” or some other dumbed down event epithet.
Yesterday my friend Ruth and I went to dinner with our friend Ben and his wife Sokyo in their charming cottage along the coast. Ben and Sokyo have just returned from a three year visit to Sokyo’s home in South Korea, and Ben is returning to his old job as nurse at my hospice.
It will lovely to have him back, for he has a warmth and a humour I adore and feed off. ( warmth and humour is something which has been sadly lacking in blogland recently I must say)
Ben also looks like an unmade bed,  a look I have made a lifetime perfecting, so I always feel at home in his company.

Ruth and I had planned to visit them in their trendy 1960’s Seoul a year or so ago but circumstances and events put paid to our plans.
Yesterday was catch up. A full Korean dinner with sizzling beef, and kimchi and pickles and miso soup, noodles and rice , all served in tiny bowls at a pretty table. 
The effort of the event was clear and much appreciated. 
This is what I miss by talking about the dinner party
I also miss talking and laughing in a group. 
I’m a good guest, I know that, but I’m a good guest because I enjoy not only talking but listening. 
Sokyo had a fascinating take on her own culture and how it has evolved so quickly over recent years but she is also an artist who has been trained in Japanese flower arranging ( something I would adore to do) 



It was a lovely afternoon and I could tell by osmosis that everyone thought the same.
Wonderful.

Tonight I’m working, so today is a mindful day. 
I’m mindful of my friends and readers in the southern states who are and have taken a battering in the storms 
Be safe 
Be kind


12 comments:

  1. I am pleased you had such a nice afternoon. I worry about you, but then I don't. You do far more than I do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol thank u for worrying just a little

      Delete
  2. That looks like you had a lovely get-together, and yes Ben is perfecting the rumpled but happy look as well as you do it ... although I suspect with less food stains. ;-)

    I only learned about inviting people for 'supper' when we lived in Oxfordshire and we had many evenings with friends there. At the first invite I imagined what I considered supper to be, a couple of biscuits and a nice cup of coffee at 10pm, but no this turned out to be a friendly meal eaten around the kitchen table with no airs and graces but lots of fun. Luckily I didn't turn up in my pyjamas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are perfectly right about the food stains

      Delete
  3. It sounds like the perfect afternoon. Nothing beats a long relaxed meal with friends.
    I rather pride myself for warmth and humour. I wonder if I can single handedly tip the balance in blogland

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a potluck once a month w/friends. Is so lovely to get together, and it makes me clean my house when it's my time to host.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I suspect the "formal" dinner party has all but disappeared. I think most people prefer an informal get together, with food, family and friends, pleasant chat and lots of laughter.
    I hope the damage caused by Hurricane Milton isn't too severe, and all are safe. Very frightening. xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous11:39 am

    Supper or dinner parties can be ruined by one person who doesn't have any listening skills and likes the sound of their own voice..........it takes skill to help guests feel at home too, your evening sounds lovely.
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous12:02 pm

    My neighbor is from South Korea. I call her Super Woman because what she creates on a daily basis is beyond astounding. As for Dinner/Supper parties my husband loves them and I am too much of an introvert to enjoy them. I love chatting face to face for coffee with a friend or two but even the thought of a gathering around a table for a full meal makes me panic! Thank you for the email. You are very kind. We continue to clean up downed trees but our house had no damage. Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  8. That does indeed look lovely. And your description of Ben makes me wish I knew him.
    Thank you for caring and mentioning the storm in Florida. We in North Florida are fine but I fear for those south of us.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks like a wonderful time with sweet friends. Three years sounds like a long time, then I think of how fast the past three years have gone by. Take care of yourself,

    ReplyDelete
  10. I too think and worry about the people I know in Florida. I'm sure you are a wonderful guest and whoever hosts you wins.

    ReplyDelete

I love all comments Except abusive ones from arseholes