The Muddy Coloured Hen

 


It’s been a bloody difficult shift all told and I feel rough 
This is a repeat of an old post from a decade ago
It will please the animal lovers here
And those who pine for the Ukrainian Village


2013

This spate of wet, blustery and cold weather will see off the old and the sick within the hen population. Several of the nondescript " refugees" that arrived in the autumn have already faded away, their bodies keeping the small badger population in the next field topped up with protein during the sparse winter months.

Such is the way of the world.

Last week one of the refugees ( an old muddy coloured hen) started to look somewhat frail and unwell. She was light and off her food, so I popped her in with Phyllis Diller , gave her a short course of antibiotics then placed her back in her own hen house to let nature swing her one way or the other.
The hen neither improved or deteriorated , she remained stubbornly " unwell"...so it was inevitable that the other hens, who often mistrust a fellow that is " different " in any way, would start to pick on her.
On Christmas Day the muddy coloured hen disappeared. I suspect the other hens had driven her out into the field to die, so I thought nothing more about it.....I had more pressing things to think about......
That was until I locked the animals up for the night yesterday.
It was almost dark and terribly squally when I  tottered from one hen house to another in my hat and scarf.  The Ukrainian village was deserted, for even the sheep had hidden themselves away in the bad weather, so it was a case of lock the doors and leg it back to the cottage.

I was just dragging my wellies through the mud, when a movement from the hawthorn hedge caught my eye. I thought it was a rabbit at first, but out of the darkness, about thirty feet away crept the muddy coloured hen.
Purposefully, she made her way over to where I stood, and stopped an inch from my foot. There she stood hunched and sad obviously waiting for me to " do something" before the darkness really hit home.
When the shit hits the fan, animals will often overcome any natural shyness with humans, in order to maintain their own safety....it's a strange phenomenon , and a rather a moving one to witness.
It is also not as rare as one may think.

I picked the bland little hen up and tucked her safely away in my coat where she shivered quietly against the crook of my arm before I found her a space in a spare coop with food and water....and I thought to myself that I had just witnessed something rather wonderful.....a small little moment of contact between a nondescript pea brained, sick old hen.....and a 51 year old fart who was rushing home to keep warm

38 comments:

  1. This story touched my heart. You were her saviour that night.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’ve had a few waifs like that hen struggling to keep going

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. One of life’s underdogs , we Brits love an underdog x

      Delete
  3. Anonymous3:57 am

    John. Love you man. You write extremely well. Do great. ReTi e people need to be tortured or is it okay to give the past a rest. If it had. If I’d say stay tortured cause you really do move me with your musings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol have you been smoking something….
      Thank you I think xx

      Delete
  4. Animals really do ask for help. I remember my Lab' Monty stopping in his tracks, holding his front right paw in the air, and asking for my attention. It was just a small thorn which was easily removed. He then simply continued on our walk as if nothing had happened.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What I remember about this hen was her ordinariness
      No,one in her corner

      Delete
  5. Barbara Anne4:39 am

    Kindness abounds in the small moments and makes all the difference. Bless yu, John and may wonderfully restful sleep be yours tonight.

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I remember there was something rather valiant about her walk in the rain and the dark

      Delete
  6. Yorkshire Liz6:25 am

    A post I have never forgotten; such moments keep the world turning the way it should.
    For goodness' sake, go and look after yourself! Absent yourself from the blog for a few days if you need to. YOU are more important.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry, JayGee, but I didn't and won't (re-?)read the story 'cos I know it'll touch me deep within, flicking a switch that can sometimes be too painful to bear - even if the tale be a 'nice' one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not a sad ending Raymondo

      Delete
    2. I've now seen the video you posted (for me! - and others). 'Ta' for your trouble. XXX

      Delete
  8. Will you please stop making me cry!
    As Yorkshire Liz says - look after yourself and if needs be, don't post for a few days while you do so. Be kind to yourself. xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. I remember reading this and am as moved by it the second time around. A very special moment.

    Wish you could take time off fully to rest and recover.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous8:24 am

    Thanks for sharing John. Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  11. I do miss stories of the Ukrainian Village.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous9:31 am

      Me too

      Delete
    2. Well they are all there in the archive xx

      Delete
  12. Did Putin later send his forces into The Ukrainian Village?

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's a nice memory John, as is my memories of your Ukrainian Village. Who back then would imagine Ukraine to be a country fighting against a Russian invasion.

    ReplyDelete
  14. A life as a caregiver.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anonymous12:06 pm

    Aww that’s lovely 🥰

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They,like all of us struggle to keep going

      Delete
  16. Oh, how I miss my chickens. There was something so soothing about them and they have such a special kind of intelligence.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, like cats they provide a backdrop to things

      Delete
  17. How very nice. Do we want to hear the next chapter of this story?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It wasn’t a happy ending but she plodded on for a while as I remember

      Delete
  18. flis🚩🚩3:28 pm

    John - Can you look at the comment I have left on previous post 🚩

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’m afraid i deleted the entire thread because I’m feeling unwell and haven’t the energy to delete each comment . Flis don’t engage
      Water is a good deterrent though for fighting dogs

      Delete
    2. I think that’s a load of crud flis they are bullshitting u
      I have no way of seeing who is commenting except what country they are in
      They certainly can’t see your web address

      Delete
    3. Anonymous1:47 pm

      I saw the comments before you deleted them John.
      Advice to flis, why are you constantly engaging and encouraging anonymous commenters by replying to them? You had replied approximately 9 or 10 times on that one post.
      You've previously asked John to intervene when you've done the same thing before.
      You say you feel scared, if that's true why do you continue to engage them?

      Delete
    4. Anonymous1:48 pm

      The above comment - I'm not Anon, I'm Debbie.

      Delete
    5. Anonymous2:10 pm

      Well said Debbie. Flis incites and inflames with there/her/his smutty or fantastical comments initially and then always snaps back when challenged.
      If you are 'frightened' as you say, then just go away.

      Delete
  19. Anonymous5:05 pm

    Your writing gets me every time. And, I love it. Get well so you can write us some more stories. Love from Gail in California USA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was an old story but one which kind of resonated with yesterday’s wet day and my mood

      Delete

I love all comments Except abusive ones from arseholes