A Man Called Otto

Saturday night, 
A night in
Feeling a bit blue 
I dug out this little gem to watch on the couch, covered in dogs

The delightful Mariana Trevinô

Hollywood seldom remakes foreign language films that well
It’s as though popularity automatically means success so let’s not work too hard in the translation . 
A Man Called Otto is based on the Swedish hit A Man Called Ove,which is a story of a suicidal man who is encouraged to start living again by the interaction of friends and neighbours of his neighbourhood association . This was a gentle and amusing film with a big heart thanks to Rolf Lassgård, it’s leading man and the remake is amusing and warm too, but not thanks to its lead Tom Hanks , who remains slightly miss cast. 
In Otto, the Hank’s character is one most of us know in one way or another. He’s a man of policy and process, a man who fights against injustice and the faceless corporations . He is a stickler for rules, is grouchy, mistrusted by neighbours and irritatingly bad tempered but when a Mexican family move in opposite , the garrulous, opinionated, heavily pregnant and big hearted mother Marisol ( a delightful Mariana Trevinò) slowly wins him over making him realising that suicide isn’t the answer to his long term depression.

Hanks as Otto and the wonderfully inept Manuel Garcia-Rulfo as Marisol’s husband Tommy

The message that community heals depression and isolation is one dear to my own heart, and is one I totally identify with, and so when Otto slowly begins to thaw, I sobbed buckets .
Mariana Trevinô is the real heart of this movie, cumbersome and shrill yet exuding bucketfuls of affection and warmth , she is more than a match for Otto’s depression , literally pulling him back into the land of the living with some beautifully judged one liners and a genuinely infectious and tearful smile.

It’s a lovely, gentle film that says a great deal about community and love and genuine affection.
Want to feel good? 
Watch it
My Marisol? There’s been a few


33 comments:

  1. I'm shedding a silent tear just reading your review. We can sometimes underestimate the value of community and belonging, until something happens. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous8:59 pm

      Why?

      Keith ( worried)

      Xx

      Delete
    2. I will bog about it

      Delete
    3. Connie10:27 pm

      "Anonymous" is not as anonymous as she thinks.

      Delete
  2. Anonymous8:18 pm

    I loved this film and the book. Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved the book so I won't watch the movie.

    ReplyDelete
  4. weaver8:25 pm

    Shall look for the book. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous8:55 pm

      Pat, the book is A Man Called Ove by Swedish author Fredrik Bachman. Also the Swedish film is very good. I loved all three versions. Jackie

      Delete
    2. Thanks Jackie , I’ve ordered the book too

      Delete
  5. Traveller9:10 pm

    Bra straps lad…. Villa Borghese….and I do hope you have pre booked tickets.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved that book and the movies too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have not seen the movie, but I loved the book. So much so, that I read it twice, so far. Who knows how many more times I will read it? When a book can make me cry, I know it's been written well. Keep the tissues close at hand. Ranee (MN) USA

    ReplyDelete
  8. Loved the book & the movies. And yes, you'll need a hankie/tissues nearby.
    I highly recommend another of Fredrik Backman's books... "My Grandmother Asked Me to Tell You She's Sorry".

    ReplyDelete
  9. You nail the review.
    I loved the Swedish version best but couldn't get into the book.
    I need more community but I'm struggling to build it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous1:03 am

      I wonder... I got into community choir partly due to John's enjoyment of it. One of my choirs is soprano/alto, there is no audition, we sing popular songs, and I have rarely met a more inclusive fun loving bunch who do more than sing together and come home from any event full of joy. The other is all singers and super fun too, we even did a 1000 voices event! Recommend!

      Delete
    2. Anonymous1:03 am

      Tina in west oz.

      Delete
    3. Hey Tina,
      I love to sing and I looked into a pub choir I heard of but the director moved on. I don't stand well enough for a regular choir.
      Never mind, I'll find my tribe some day

      Delete
  10. I listened to the audiobook and loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have the book on my Kindle, now I will read it. Where I live is not friendly, sad to say.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I loved the book and the Swedish film. Maybe I'll give the Tom Hanks version a try. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. A blanket of dogs can do no harm. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love me some community

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anonymous12:14 am

    My Marisol - a coworker Fran with her gentle sense of humor and well told stories. Llynn

    ReplyDelete
  16. The book was so moving! I haven't seen the movie because I have my idea of Ove, and I think Hanks isn't it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I read and reread and reread the book, to miss nothing. And saw the Tom Hanks movie, which was decent.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm glad you mentioned about Tom Hanks being slightly miss cast - although he was the obvious 'big ticket' name for the role. I don't know who I'd have cast instead.

    ReplyDelete
  19. We all need a Marisol in our lives, I'm glad you've got yours. I must look for that book.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I really want to see this now! May start with the book as I love to read.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I loved the film, and she played a wonderful full role.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Anonymous10:58 am

    Just downloaded the book to my phone. It sounds like a good read for a holiday weekend. Gigi

    ReplyDelete
  23. Sounds great! I haven't heard of this film but we'll be sure to watch it now.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I preferred A Man Called Ove, but the Otto version made me cry a bit, too.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  25. I absolutely loved this film. I thought Tom Hanks carried it very well ... although he was just very 'Tom Hanks' every now and then, if you know what I mean.

    ReplyDelete

I love all comments Except abusive ones from arseholes