Flower Show

 

My flower show entry for the photograph class “ pet”

The Manley’s came to the kitchen wall this afternoon  with boxes of dog food for my pack.
It was a bittersweet visit as they’ve just had to put down their floppy setter Gilly but I managed to make them laugh a bit as Roger bounced madly in the background like a loon. 
I like the Manley’s, a no nonsense couple in their 50s who love their community and who can be relied upon to do what they say they will do. 
Ma Manley sported a great homemade pair of dungarees and Laurie Manley seemed enchanted by Roger’s welcome. They are entering the flower show and are looking forward to it . 
Minutes later Boffin Cameron’s mum popped around with her old flower show cup.
I have a soft spot for her, as Lorna loves to support the Flower Show and has exhibited for years.
“Is it ok that I enter 20 classes?’ She asked
Is the Pope Catholic ?” I replied 
And she beamed and laughed sweetly

She’s a star.
Mrs Trellis waved at me at teatime too , when I was drinking a brew on the patio
I’m entering the vase of flowers “ she called energetically as she passed  and I suddenly felt like having a weep

The troops are starting to come up trumps 

Me thinks



32 comments:

  1. Oh, how I wish I could visit and see the flower show! I love Trelawny and I've never been there. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Be lovely to see you here x

      Delete
    2. Anonymous7:43 am

      Let’s get a coach party together! I’m coming from Dorset!!

      If only

      Delete
    3. Anonymous9:20 am

      I'd love to visit too :) Sharon x

      Delete
  2. I envy you and your friendships.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The flower show is being well supported and everybody seems to be looking forward to the event. You must be very pleased.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is The Pope a Catholic? I thought he was a vegan.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What joy it must be, to live in a village where everyone knows you, and you have emotional connections to your life there. You're a lucky man, John.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this little snippet, a glimpse of a town turning out. How nice to be a part of it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The excitement is spreading!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That pan is just the right size for Roger.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous2:01 am

    Maybe enter that photo of your 3 pooches sitting on the chair along with that cute photo of Roger in the pot! Gigi

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous3:24 am

    Roger is adorable.

    Ceci

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good for them. I think there's nothing village folk like more than a bit of competition.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Barbara Anne4:34 am

    Clearly, you're not the only one who has missed the flower show!
    The picture is one of my favorites of your many wonderful pictures.

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Have you ever heard one of Garrison Keeler's broadcasts of “Lake Woebegone”? Your stories of Trelwanyd remind me.

    ReplyDelete
  14. If you build it, they will come! xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. One of my favourite photos. Still makes me chuckle.

    ReplyDelete
  16. It will be great fun I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yorkshire Liz9:09 am

    A perfect post to illustrate a lovely community and how it works and flexes it's muscles as well as showing your heart at the heart of it.
    There is no-one better than someone who says they will do something - and then does it. I hope they are soon ver their loss and turn their minds to a new dog; a rescue one, of course.
    Good luck with rolling in all thoese entries for the flower show!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lovely entry!!
    I miss the Manleys..the next smallholding down from us in Garn Dolbenmaen..
    Pirate's one is "does the Poe wear a dress?"!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Replies
    1. Karen spoke of you yesterday

      Delete
    2. I wish we could've met when they were up in this direction

      Delete
  20. Always a beloved community event.

    ReplyDelete
  21. You are a man much appreciated John x

    ReplyDelete
  22. Best photo of the pooch ever

    ReplyDelete
  23. Anonymous2:44 pm

    The community feeling in your town is just amazing. (With enough flower foam I bet you could replicate Roger with marigolds.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now there’s an idea, but it’s Mary in the photo

      Delete
  24. Anonymous3:56 pm

    Feeling like a proud papa when his children do well. I feel your gush , your heart welling in your words.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get emotional very quickly, it’s a curse

      Delete
  25. How lovely that everyone is getting behind it again. We had hoped to be able to visit the show from our Welsh flat, but now we have visitors coming to stay at home.

    ReplyDelete

I love all comments Except abusive ones from arseholes