A Thong For Europe, Pond, News and Flis

 

I am lucky, living in Wales near the border as it’s only 29 minutes ! by car to Chester and only an hour or so from Liverpool. 
Last night I bought tickets for A Thong For Europe at The Royal Court , now I knew what I was getting into ( the title somewhat gives away a degree of dumbing down) and I was right.
Think of a Liverpudlian pantomime on steroids set against the backdrop of the City’s venture into Eurovision stardom and you may get the gist. 
Writer Jonathon Harvey loves his grotesque, matriarchal characters and Lulu ( Lindi Germain) is not a stones throw from Linda Ha Hughes ( His Kathy Burke Character in Gimmie Gimmie Gimmie) she opens the show with a bang, when she gives a hilarious and foul mouthed eulogy for his mother in church , a mother who loved Eurovision and whose ghost will haunt her is she cannot scatter her ashes on the Eurovision stage.
I think you are aware of the the level the musical is heading for from its opening moments and despite its silliness , the foul mouthed, Liverpudlian humour hits you between the eyes from the get go and it is what it is. An affectionate look at Eurovision from the eyes of a dysfunctional family of stereotypes.
Harvey throws everything at it , with a selection of iconic Eurovision entries to get the crowd clapping, a bizarre and rather amusing appearance  of a Sonia lookalike ( Sonia is a one trick UK Eurovision entry from Liverpool in 1993) and more scouse humour than could be seen at a Ken Dodd convention .
The mostly female audience , several of them almost collapsing drunk, were out for a good time , and boy did they have it, ( a fact that reminded me of my recent post of bad behaviour in theatres) 
But the whole musical was frothy, happy rubbish , so nobody cared too much .

I was home just before midnight, which wasn’t bad timing, even on the occasional school night. Liverpool has a good selection of theatres  too, which perhaps I’ve underused over the years. …time for a change me thinks.

Anyway I’ve had a nice, busy and enjoyable week off so far. 
I’m about to go and join a few more volunteers and will weed the pond borders shortly.
That will be about it for today.
And I will post some photos shortly.

I also note that blog commentator Flis has been absent for a while. I understand that one troll has taken a dislike of her comments and often says so, which is rude, nasty  and bullying behaviour. Flis has gone quiet and I want her to know that she is always welcomed here. 
End of.

Now I’ll end today on a light note. And a happy one.
Facebook has a memory app thing that shows you posts from years ago.
These photos were sent to me the other day .
They are from a sunny afternoon when I babysat the Randa girls one day and I decided to show them how to blow and decorate goose eggs




We had such a happy time messing about with those eggs on the lawn.
A precious memory now the girls are grown up now.
Little Women indeed.


34 comments:

  1. Yellow Shoes9:26 am

    Someone signing themselves flis has quite recently commented on Hard Up Hester.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous9:53 am

      She can post comments wherever she likes.

      Delete
  2. Did you ever go to a Ken Dodd show? We went to the Floral Pavilion to see him on many occasions, and dragged ourselves up the hill home, barely able to walk as all our energy had been expended in laughing until we couldn't breathe! We were fortunate to live in New Brighton, so no transport costs or finding parking spaces involved!
    Liverpool has no shortage of good theatres, and we see quite a few good productions!
    We've already booked our tickets for the Everyman Rock & Roll Panto for this Xmas!
    It's always absolutely wonderful, loud, great music, lots of stamping of feet, clapping of hands, singing and shouting ('he's behind you' etc) until you have no voice left!
    We always book an afternoon performance as we take our grandson and he's only six years old, (this will be his second R&R Panto, but his fifth trip to the Everyman) and we have lunch at the Philharmonic Dining Rooms as an extra part of the treat!
    Both lunch and the Panto are worth every penny! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I went to see Ken Dodd as a child , I think we saw him in Blackpool. It went on and on and on
      And I remember having restless legs , I was that tired when got home

      Delete
    2. Oh yes, Doddy was well known for not leaving the stage at the appointed time. It was always said that his audiences should take picnics with them to fend off starvation as they headed towards midnight and beyond!
      He was especially keen to stay on stage well over time when he was surrounded by other scousers, as he 'fed' from them!
      We always got out of the theatre when we expected to though, mainly because we expected to get out about two hours late!
      Do you know that his funeral over ran too? It seemed perfect that he kept folk in their seats too long, right to the end!
      My personal favourite thing that I ever heard him say was, when talking about an imaginary variety act, "Not forgetting the Russian knife thrower, Vladimir Hadhisheadoff". You have to say it fast, the way all scousers talk, really, really fast!
      I'm not at all scouse, but do have the quick speech thing going on!
      My mum even lived in Knotty Ash in the mid 1930s, but she didn't work in the Jam Butty Mines! Now, let's see what any American readers make of that! X

      Delete
    3. That made me smile, his funeral ran over lol

      Delete
  3. Anonymous10:29 am

    Those school uniforms on the little girls bring back memories of the years i went to a girls school. I have never blown out an egg but am positive that I would have egg down my front . I eat with a bib on or my shirts would look like a Picasso! You have had a busy week off, glad you are enjoying yourself. GG

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am a dribbler too, I christen most of my tops with my lunch and dinner…I blame my dyspraxia

      Delete
  4. Scouse humour is in a league of its own! I, too, noticed that flis hasn't commented for a while. I hope she hasn't been deterred by the nasty trolls. xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a fun evening out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was , something silly to be lost in that didnt tax tge intellect too much …like a frothy magazine

      Delete
  6. The Randa Girls sounds like a singing group. How quickly time has passed since they were little.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, mind you children are not children for very long

      Delete
  7. Sometimes "frothy, happy rubbish" is just what the doctor ordered!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And the musical had that in spades. I know I’m sounding snobby ….I am snobby

      Delete
  8. I can't believe those girls are already all grown up. How time flies.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like a good evening out. Musicals combined with comedy bring laughter and good fun. Folks at the theater needed to let off some steam. I hope Fils is okay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I think letting off steam is one reason…..reacting to a bad and long winter and covid before that is another mebthinks

      Delete
  10. I haven't blown eggs in years — and never a goose egg. What a great memory! I could use some frothy, happy rubbish. I've been experiencing a bit of the bitters lately.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh poor you….it comes in waves sometimes and often out of the blue

      Delete
  11. Barbara Anne2:26 pm

    How wonderful you had such a good week away from work and last night's even sounds like the cherry on top!
    I;ce never blown the insides our of eggs either but have seen some amazing hollow eggs that have been decorated.
    Best wishes to Flis.

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I’ve only ever blown one before I taught the girls to do so

      Delete
  12. As I live in the US I have no idea what you are talking about but happy you had a good time. I LOVE laughing so it does sound right up my alley. Enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Think of a working class silly musical set in Pittsburgh

      Delete
  13. I made a comment regarding comments, are you saying that I'm a troll?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’m saying that the person who was consistently rude to flis was a troll

      Delete
  14. Anonymous4:24 pm

    Ok. I'm not your anonymous troll. I didn't mention flis by name in my comment but yes I did find her constant replies to the troll irritating, resulting in the troll being more persistent. Others commented in the same veein and suggested that she was "feeding the troll" but perhaps she didn't realise what that meant.
    No offence intended.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, forgot to put my name.

      Delete
    2. It wasn’t you Anne, this has gone on a long time

      Delete
  15. Come back, Flis!

    If an audience has to act up at a show, THAT's the kind of show where it makes sense.

    I never appreciated how quickly children grow up until I began working in a school!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you see students return as grown ups to see you steve

      Delete

I love all comments Except abusive ones from arseholes