Joyland

 


I know nothing about the Pakistani film industry, absolutely nothing at all, so I was interested to see Siam Sadiq’s gentle and dignified exploration of a family whose lives don’t quite measure up to the ones they wanted for themselves
Wheelchair patriarch Abba ( Palman Peerzada) shares his ramshackle crowded Lahore flat with his two married sons. The elder son ( Sohail Someer) has four daughters and the household is run by his wife (Salwat Gilani) and the gentle younger unemployed brother Haider ( Ali Junejo) whose wife Mumtaz ( Rasti Farooq) has a successful job as a makeup artist. 
This complicated family dynamic is put under strain when Haider eventually finds an unlikely job as a backing dancer to a transgender singer Biba ( Alina Khan) and as the pair embark on an affair each member of Hadier’s family have to reevaluate their lot as life for each one changes from the path of their expectations .

This is a sad, gentle film where tradition and honour are awkward bedfellows with modernity, personal autonomy and fluid sexuality.
It’s beautiful film to look at too, with most of the filmed shot in rich , earthy colours within crowded tenements and theatres ,
But, it’s sadness makes you realise that overly rigid social constraints still feature in some societies much  more than they do in our own




16 comments:

  1. Sounds like a film that will break your heart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol you use my phrase , which I often overuse…it doesn’t but it is sad

      Delete
  2. It's on my list and now even higher than before. It sounds lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lovely isn’t a word I’d use…
      Worth seeing? Definitely

      Delete
    2. Anonymous10:17 pm

      Makes a change to have a post in which you have not cried

      Delete
  3. The film sounds good. Factual presentations and hardship along with family dynamics usually makes a great story.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the look of it. Cocaine Bear is coming out here, just for contrast

    ReplyDelete
  5. It sounds like a deeply moving film - and one I'd be likely to weep bucket in! It's gone on my list.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It must be so hard to get caught in between rigid social constraints and feelings. I would like to see it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like it's worth seeing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. His name is Saim. You'll be the first to be stoned.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't think I'd fit into a society that was so constrained, but the film sounds like an interesting watch. xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'd find the 'no crash helmets' rather worrying and distracting (though that's doubtlessly disproportionate?).

    ReplyDelete
  11. That sounds like quite a daring film for Pakistan. I'd see it based on your review.

    ReplyDelete

I love all comments Except abusive ones from arseholes