Women Talking


 I forgot it was half term today.
So no college and no late night home journey.👏🏻
I gave the dogs an extra long walk this afternoon then came to Chester where I treated myself to a beef pitta, coffee strong enough to blow your tits off and a film. 


The film is Women Talking .
Sarah Polley’s version of Miriam Toews’ novel which tells the true story of a group of Mennonite Women in an isolated Bolivian community, is a serious watch. A grim and talky piece with a stella cast, has the women beaten, sexually abused and degraded by their men folk.
Taking what time they have together, the women young and old have to decide whether to fight the abuse from within the community, acquiesce to it, or escape to form a new life , albeit one which is excommunicated from their community . The parallels with Weinstein’s Hollywood are only too clear.

Claire Foy shines with anger as Salome as does Rooney Mara and the powerhouse Jessie Buckley and their scenes are compelling to watch but, after a while the film feels as though it’s constrained and is what it is ….a sort of filmed play 





20 comments:

  1. I look forward to seeing it, especially as it is based on real events (hard to f'n believe). -Kate

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes…..on reflection I should have chosen a different movie today

      Delete
  2. Barbara Anne5:48 pm

    What a glorious surprise: Half Term! I'ts like Snow Day in the way it makes you feel inside. Enjoy!
    Methinks that's a movie is a bit grim for today. Yes? No?

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes babs, worthy , but a bit grim . I will do something frothy tomorrow

      Delete
  3. I happened to read this book about a year ago and found it very compelling. Maybe it's something that just doesn't translate to the screen. I don't watch many movies, preferring books, but if this comes to my town I might see it. Thank you for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I adored this film and had to see it a second time with my partner so that I would have someone to discuss it with. I thought it was effective and absolutely difficult to watch but I would have never wanted to miss this one. Sisterhood even under the crushing weight of an all consuming patriarchy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Claire Foy’s Hardy suppressed suppressed anger was amazing to watch

      Delete
  5. Traveller6:29 pm

    I read the book and that was a tough read. One of those situations for me when I won’t see the film.

    Agree with you about The parallel to Weinstein

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Next time I’ll pick Disney

      Delete
    2. Traveller8:46 pm

      Must admit our Tv watching of late has been cosy murder mysteries set somewhere scenic and warm!

      Delete
  6. That sounds like a hard watch. I prefer something a bit lighter, personally, especially as I get older. There's plenty of gritty reality on the news for me! xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the Canadian author Miriam Toews and have read several of her books, which are pretty much always heavy-duty reads (often dealing with suicide, depression and despair). But I cannot bring myself to read this book or the movie made from it. It would be more than I could handle.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Enjoy Half Term. A bit of fun and relaxation will be good.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I placed a hold on the book with my library. It's a few weeks out so hopefully I can get past my blues before I read it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I never heard of any abuse in my dad's village -There was a lot of hiding though as it was during wartime - and I did overhear whispers at getogethers from my aunts and other women about a visiting dr and a priest x

    ReplyDelete
  11. I find that I am really struggling with 'grim' lately. My reading has been fluff. My movies too. The world is a just a little to 'world-y' for me lately, and I'[ve taken to hiding out.

    ReplyDelete
  12. SG's cousin was just telling us about Women Talking. She found it profoundly moving and recommended it.

    ReplyDelete

I love all comments Except abusive ones from arseholes