Streams Full of Stars, like skies at night

 The delightful P reminded me of a poem I know but have never read.
W H Davies’ Leisure 

WHAT is this life if, full of care,
We have no time to stand and stare?—

No time to stand beneath the boughs,
And stare as long as sheep and cows:

No time to see, when woods we pass,
Where squirrels hide their nuts in grass:

No time to see, in broad daylight,
Streams full of stars, like skies at night:

No time to turn at Beauty's glance,
And watch her feet, how they can dance:

No time to wait till her mouth can
Enrich that smile her eyes began?

A poor life this if, full of care,
We have no time to stand and stare.

I went to Chester this evening to see the Spanish comedy The Good Boss with the delightful Javier Bardem.
It wasn’t as good as I hoped , so I left the Storyhouse early .

It was raining so I drove home and got home late for me at around 10.30. 
The dogs and Albert and I walked down the Lane soon after 
It was humid and raining still, but only lightly 
And we all stopped at the end of the lane and stared at the sky to the West, the clouds over the hawthorn hedges that shadowed the hidden moon.
Albert chatted his teeth at the bats that circled the single street light and seemed to stand and stare too
And Dorothy growled a low growl when the horses in the livery fields stomped their feet in the grass.
Mary sat down and leaned against my calf , just happy in company

We stood there for an age, until my hair flattened 

A poor life if, full of care,
We have no time to stand and stare

53 comments:

  1. And what good company you had with which to stand and stare!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Totally in the moment. Just being with your family. Beautiful. One of my favourite pieces x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These animals have kept me sane patty

      Delete
  3. I do exactly that-Each day-In a stream with my dogs needing it to continue my day x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was standing peacefully and barefoot with my dogs in a ford early one morning beneath the trees - A middle aged gentleman was sitting down in the water close by wearing his trunks-Apparently he does this every morning throughout the year x

      Delete
  4. Love this!!! Thank you so much.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Barbara Anne11:20 pm

    What a lovely poem! Ta to P and to you for posting it. It seems as if part time work is suiting you to a T!
    Puppy day tomorrow?!!!

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's lovely, John! xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I enjoy a poem that actually rhymes! This is a good one!!
    I was wondering, too, if the pup is coming home very soon?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Made me smile , the end was ideal.

    ReplyDelete
  9. How lovely...both the poem and the moment. Ironically I was watching a bat tonight too. He was in the the house.

    ReplyDelete
  10. How wonderful. Thank you for this.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have just come downstairs to find a huge telescope in the sitting room. I suppose son and grandsons were stargazing last night. Perfect weather for it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous5:25 am

    There is too much light where I live to see much beyond the brightest stars on a very clear night. I have taken to staring at the James Webb telescope pictures that I find on YouTube. They are breathtaking.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Resting in and enjoying those wonderful moments. It's a beautiful poem. Your evening walks with the dogs in summer are to be treasured.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anonymous5:52 am

    Such a simple but lovely poem. I hadn't read the whole verse before. This is a lovely post. Ro xxx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anonymous6:20 am

    This is one of my favourite poems having learnt it in primary school over sixty years ago.

    I would like to thank you so much for writing your blogs.
    I look forward to reading them as they are so varied and interesting.
    Wendy.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wendy's said it for me!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Animals know best; just take life at a slow pace. Stop and smell the flowers, bask in the sunshine. Life has a nasty habit of getting in the way of living sometimes! xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. And such moments are free!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I’m lucky to be able to experience them

      Delete
  19. Beautiful poem - I like the rhythm. 'We stood there for an age, until my hair flattened' I love this description of your conclusion to your stopping and staring at the end of the day. x

    ReplyDelete
  20. Maybe this is why old people drive more slowly, they are taking time to see the world that has buzzed past in a lifetime of swirl.

    ReplyDelete
  21. One of my favourite poems, it does come back to be in moments of unexpected contemplation ... especially when looking out to sea or over a countryside gate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’m always learning, all I knew is the repeated one line

      Delete
  22. A beautiful poem.
    Should be required reading!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Observation is all so important.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Beautiful, John Gray.

    ReplyDelete
  26. And soon there will be 4......Hugs! deb

    ReplyDelete
  27. Anonymous7:14 am

    I once set a class to memorise this poem for homework and they did a great job. Out there is a group of thirty something multi cultural inner city dwellers who have this tu led away in their subconscious.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Anonymous11:08 am

    Such a fascinating poet too

    ReplyDelete

I love all comments Except abusive ones from arseholes