Tula Tula

 A new normal has begun me thinks. 
Travel chaos seems to springing up in hotspots. 
Covid has reached another hidden peak 
And The Archers have finally returned to their Friday night, 7 pm slot.



I listened to The Archers with interest last night ( For those that perhaps don’t know , The Archers is a radio 4;soap opera which has been running nightly ( except Saturdays) since 1951. It airs for under fifteen minutes a night and centres upon the farming community of Ambridge located in the Midlands) 
During the programme, the only Welsh character Natasha ( Mali Harries) has brought her newly born twins home with clueless husband Tom. Whilst the usual banal banter continued ,Natasha and her mother sang a lullaby ( Suo Gân)to the twins in Welsh, the two woman harmonising quite beautifully.
It proved to be a rather sweet moment of gentle drama and pathos in a soap, not always known for its subtly and it’s nostalgia and sense of place can be described well by the welsh word Hiraith

Recently one of our more serious and devout nurses left the hospice and I remember her gently singing the Welsh Hymm Dros Gymru’n Gwlad alongside a patient who was approaching end of life. The music to the hymn is well known to me as we sing a version of it it choir. Sibelius’ Finlandia, but there is something magic and somewhat humbling when you hear someone else sing it out, without embarrassment of self doubt.


Years ago, and I mean perhaps, twenty five years I remember watching one of the African nurses singing a lullaby to a young male patient who couldn’t sleep. The boy was paralysed from the chest down, and was on strict bed rest so she almost knelt at the side of his bed and held his hand, which she  placed under her chin so he could feel the song as well as hear it.
The lullaby was called  Tula Tula and I remember to this day how the busy  ward slowly quietened to silence as everyone, patients and staff, all stopped to listen




47 comments:

  1. There is nothing quite as soothing as a lullaby. I used to sing "Sweet Baby James" to my children as they were going to sleep. During the lock downs I was sent a secreted video taken by my daughter's partner of her listening to it with tears in her eyes. It touched me how much it meant to her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The story gave me chills and tears.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The power of a bit of singing x

      Delete
    2. The power of your words. Couldn't listen just then to the audio.

      Delete
  3. I particularly liked the Kings College Chapel choir singing Suo Gan from a few years ago. They perfected it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just for you, I found the video

      Delete
    2. My favourite version is at the end of the film Empire of the Sun sung as the boy is finally able to reconnect with his parents.

      Delete
    3. Yes, I wonder where Spielberg found the hymn ? It was a stroke of genius using the theme
      I would so love to ask him

      Delete
    4. Thank you John. I love that version.

      Delete
  4. Barbara Anne5:27 am

    Ta, John. The songs and singers were lovely.

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Never heard this 'Tula Tula' before though it was clearly familiar to this native South African audience. It certainly captures one's attention on a very first hearing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not many black faces in the audience Raymondo

      Delete
    2. Yes, I did notice that. :-(

      Delete
    3. Was she singing in Afrikaans in the second verse?
      I wonder how many of that audience had black nannies that sung that song to them

      Delete
    4. I played it again, and though I used to be able to read, understand and even speak a modicum of Dutch I didn't recognise Afrikaan sounds in her singing - but then the audience suddenly burst into applause for the second verse so it could be that you were right.

      Delete
  6. This brought tears to my eyes, John. When my Mum was at the end of her life, I sang the lullabys to her that she used to sing to me. She joined in, with a weak voice, remembering words I'd forgotten. The power of music and song. xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yesterday the African nurse in charge of my care was humming as he went about his business. It was far more soothing than any painkillers he could give me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you sharing such beautiful moments.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The memory of Tula Tula shot out of the blue as I listened to The Archers. Funny how memories like these surface, right out of the blue

      Delete
  9. That was lovely. Especially the last one. I used to sing 'Dream a Little Dream of Me' to my son as a lullaby. Years later when he was about 16 he heard it being played and asked 'Why do I know this song?' It had stayed in his memory from baby times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It’s only the second time I have ever heard Tula Tula
      Better known apparently as Thula baba

      Delete
  10. John, You are truly and extraordinary man. Yes, I think so.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not for this post woody m but thank you, I have a good memory x

      Delete
  11. A lifetime of experiences that will forever shape your view of life

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have several memories from the hospice too, with many of the welsh nurses featuring in the singing, also I remember one patient playing Schindler’s list theme on the piano we used to have in our old chapel
      Now that was bloody moving

      Delete
  12. I used to love listening to old time radio shows. It is such a lost art. Now, you get podcasts. Endless people talking about themselves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, radio four in the BBC still features the different and the out of the ordinary , it’s still top of its game

      Delete
  13. Oooh, that gave me goosebumps, just beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  14. My beloved Aunts nieces were surrounding her as she lay in bed before she passed on - One stood at the foot of the bed and began to sing Onward Christian Soldiers with marching arm movements-I accompanieded her-We then made eye contact with each other and stopped-but my Aunt always had a sense of humour x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your family , like you were drama gals
      A lovely memory flis

      Delete
  15. Nicely done. Singing and song is good for the soul on any occasion. The newer Covid variants are on the rise in the US too. Here we go again!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Three beautiful songs and reminiscences -- thank you, John!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Another wander, the older I get, the more sentimental I become

      Delete
  17. Music soothes the savage breast!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Music in the right setting and circumstances can be magic,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’m more drawn to folk music recently

      Delete
  19. Absolutely beautiful. The Carols have always been a favorite of mine. The Dros was new to me and is now in my top 10 and the Tula, along with your story, made me realize yet another area that the US health care system lacks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’ve worked ( briefly ) in the US HEALTH care system and as I think our NHS where healthcare is free, is the best system , nursing is nursing anywhere

      Delete
  20. Anonymous4:20 am

    I’m so glad you and your sister are together. Posting on Here to avoid sugary comments.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Anonymous4:21 am

    And thx for answering my question on Rachel

    ReplyDelete

I love all comments Except abusive ones from arseholes