Little Women

 Grosvenor Park Open AirTheatre was holding their version of Little Women tonight
The night the heatwave properly broke and the heavens opened.
But it was fun
My sister and I got incredibly wet


The open air theatre produces bawdy, musical and comic versions of classic novels and reworked Little Women into a 1914 Edwardian Chester drama with the March sisters , working in ammunition factories, nursing soldiers in hospital and with Laurie going off to war in the trenches.
It worked rather well, which is surprising. 
The actors were as soaked as the audience which endeared us, especially to the doomed Beth , who slipped and fell flat on her face on stage just before her death.
A death which was incredibly moving , given the lightness of the production.
I’ve always remembered her matter of fact speech to sister Jo

“ I have a feeling that it never was intended I should live long. I'm not like the rest of you. I never made any plans about what I'd do when I grew up. I never thought of being married, as you all did. I couldn't seem to imagine myself anything but stupid little Beth, trotting about at home, of no use anywhere but there. I never wanted to go away, and the hard part now is the leaving you all. I'm not afraid, but it seems as if I should be homesick for you even in heaven."

You can see the rain
Ive had a nice week…..working sat and sunday  

18 comments:

  1. You and your sister are dedicated theatre goers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We paid our money and we made out choice lol

      Delete
  2. The rain would be a welcome change. Your garden will be soaking it up. We're at the end of two weeks of school holidays when it has rained Every Single Day .. and gale winds as well. At least it is winter here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think no one was really upset by it

      Delete
  3. Poor Beth. I love the 1949 film with Margaret O'Brien as Beth; she was perfect for the role, and almost demanded our sympathy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Claire Danes was my favourite Beth with June allyson as my favourite jo

      Delete
  4. We had rain yesterday, too. I could almost hear the garden drinking it! That production sounds fun. I read Little Women when I was a young girl. I think I'll have to revisit it, as I can't remember much about it. xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. You sure CAN see the rain. You are all troopers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is it a British thing , sitting in the rain ?

      Delete
    2. Oh, I’ve been to and seen news of major concerts that got rained on and continued. Diana Ross in Central Park, for one. Besides, if Seattle canceled anything on account of rain, they’d cancel just about everything. Other parts of the country may not be as hardy -- San Diego, for instance.

      Delete
  6. Sounds to me as though the performance might have been enhanced by the rain.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Always loved Little Women. This sounds like a fascinating reworking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It worked very well, which surprised me as the story to me is quintessentially American

      Delete
  8. That last sentence of Beth's speech which you quote is so much a part of me that it is frightening. I am elderly and doomed for several more years of life based on the longevity of my parents. But, there is a part of me that want to just be eternal. When it is all said and done I am going to really miss life on Earth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beth was the constant in the March family , and by dying remained one for everyone.
      She is a force for good we all wish we had in us

      Delete
  9. Performing in the rain -- that's dedication!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Definitely a British thing sitting in the rain
    We had a jubilee celebration in a neighbour's garden in the rain, eating cake and drinking wine. It was an excuse to drink quickly before the rain diluted our drinks too much
    It was great fun and there was lots of laughter.

    ReplyDelete

I love all comments Except abusive ones from arseholes