Gongs and Bhajis


 It’s 14 degrees, warmish, slightly overcast with a breeze from the south East. The cattle in the fields West of the village are all sat with their faces to the weak sun . Their backs to the wind.
The cottage smells of turmeric and mild curry powder.
I’m making low fat vegetable bhajis.
I’ve decided that the tulips I bought will last another week if I’m lucky, a Walker in the lane commented only last week that he always like the fact I have flowers in a vase in the lane window.
He mentioned that my wisteria had started to sprout on the garden arch.
I hadn’t noticed.
Last night I watched the Olivier Awards. 
The compare Jason Manford set the tone straight away by joking with the audience that “ This is an evening of back-slapping, not face-slapping!”
I think everyone seemed to appreciate the comment. 
Lovely to see Sheffield’s own Life Of Pi do so well and I was made up to see the four leading actors in Cabaret winning a gong too….especially Elliot Levy and Lisa Sadovy the old German couple who find love in the twilight of their lives.


The bhajis have turned out exceptionally well.
So much so that I will post the recipe 



One large onion, thinly sliced
One large sweet potato grated
One large carrot, grated
2 cm fresh ginger grated
2 tsp curry powder
1 tsp turmeric
50 g of chick pea flour
Zest and juice of a lime
1 red chilli chopped
Mix ingredients into patties
Cook in hot oven 200 for half an hour

Serve with soya yogurt flavoured with mango chutney

It’s the half season finale for The Walking Dead later


50 comments:

  1. Mmm... your bhajis sound delicious. I must get some chick pea flour and have a go myself. I love onion bhajis from our local curry house. It is time I made some of my own - served with minty yogurt and a little salad. Thanks for the inspiration young man.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The turmeric is a bit strong ..
      They are very low fat

      Delete
  2. When do you go to work or are you on holiday?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All my days are later this week I’m working wed Thursday , sat sun
      All 12 hour shifts

      Delete
  3. You are A Man of Many Talents John x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Barbara Anne1:55 pm

    A new word to me, bahjis, and a new food idea. Ta for the recipe!
    Love your tulips in their beautiful vase.
    Which Walking Dead tee will you wear today?
    Enjoy the days off early this week.

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your plate of bhahis looks like they come from a restaurant! Nice presentation!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Flowers, home cooking, clean pottery. John, you elevate the ordinary.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So happy Cabaret did well in the awards.
    Thank you for the recipe. Especially as it uses chickpea flour instead of wheat flour (I can't eat wheat flour). Will have a go at making them later this week. xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. What does compare mean in this context? "The compare Jason Manford set the tone "?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. A compere is the person who introduces the people taking part in a radio or television show or a live show. The person who comperes a show introduces the people who take part in it

      Delete
    2. My spelling…apologies

      Delete
    3. Aaah: 'compere" --master of ceremonies/ host. Got it.
      recipe: I will look for chiiick pea flour. Thx

      Delete
    4. Sainsbury’s sell it

      Delete
    5. It's also called Gram Flour.

      Delete
  9. And do you hand grate the veggies or use a food processor?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hand grate , if you use a processor too much water comes out and the bhaji doesn’t bind

      Delete
  10. Thanks for the recipe. I am only missing one ingredient.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...which I never even knew was a 'thing'. Thanks for the education, oh wise one!

      *genuflects deeply, backing out of room*

      :D

      Delete
  11. I love the tulips and the vase. Nice that someone notices them. Where do you get your recipes from? You always seem to cook such tasty food! xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. I no longer cook as my carer is also responsible for my main meal - but think I will give her this recipe in the morning. She is trying to lose weight and is always on the lookout for a new thing to try.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Can't beat freshly cooked homemade bhajis; I make my dip with mango chutney and sour cream :)
    Love the tulips, they're so beautiful inside as the petals fall and reveal their centres :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I’ll make a mint tip next time, the mango was a bit too sweet

      Delete
  14. no chick pea flour in my grocery store... is a there a substitute??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ordinary flour I suspect is ok

      Delete
    2. A tempura flour would work well

      Delete
  15. Your vase of tulips are lovely. The bhajis are very nicely presented and sound excellent. I'll will try making them.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you for the recipe. Hope they turn out as well as yours!

    ReplyDelete
  17. btw Take care not to soak antique ceramics very long, especially in hot water and or bleach , it can cause fine crackling in the glaze and also fade the patterns. Use
    just enough to get the piece clean.
    lizzy x

    ReplyDelete
  18. If you put a 1p or 2p coin in with tulips they dont drop. Apologies if you already know this

    ReplyDelete
  19. Dear Americans,
    200 Celsius = 392 Fahrenheit

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  21. The 'low fat' meaning they weren't deep fried I suppose. They look superb.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thank you for the recipe, I will try it when I get chick pea flour.My favourite at the moment is Zucchini fritters with home made Tatziki dip.

    ReplyDelete
  23. The food looks delicious... but I've been searching my brain and can't for the life of me figure out what R-E-C-I-P-E means. Must be Welsh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha! Made me laugh out loud.

      Jo in Auckland

      Delete
  24. Ooh, will give them a go this weekend.

    ReplyDelete

I love all comments Except abusive ones from arseholes