Breakfast Out, St David’s Day, a very small world and A Pure Heart

 

Americans seem to do " Breakfast Meets" . Brits less so. 

I like them. Ive Just got Dorothy out of her car crate( which went much better than I dared hope, -probably because of the pigs ear I'd hidden in her blankets) and after a walk on the beach I'm off to meet my friend Polly for breakfast at Bryn Williams in Colwyn Bay

Breakfast always tastes fabulous after a walk

And it did.

Film studies  on zoom lecture thus afternoon, then choir....




My film studies course is an in-depth review of five world famous movies. This week the film in question was the 1935 musical comedy Top Hat.
It’s not a film I particularly like or indeed have ever sat through for its entirety , but I enjoyed the forensic dissection and discussion of the movie, which is also stimulating . 
In one of the breakout groups I met a woman from Kent who, as it turned out knows my ex mother in law.
It’s a small world.

The “professional “ Trelawnyd Male Voice Choir singing Calon Lân


Choir was hard tonight. Jamie ( sans 1940 RAF moustache) only had 13 of us to deal with and decided we
Should sing the traditional version of Calon Lan which is one of the most famous Welsh Hymns ( it means a pure heart) 
The harmonies proved to be very difficult for me as the bass lines are so different from the original tune.
We also sang an anti war song which had incredible resonance with the news from the Ukraine and today I’ve been reminded of my own Ukrainian Village here on the field which also has its own resonance .
One of the village wardens , Jo ( the powerhouse that runs the toddler group in the hall) has organised a collection of necessary goods to be sent out to the Ukrainian refugees and within hours had pledges of all manner of items by village people. 



40 comments:

  1. I love breakfast out, looks wonderful

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One day soon we will have one together I hope

      Delete
  2. A bracing walk by the sea, then breakfast with friends. Can't be bad! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was lovely .
      I met my friend polly who is half my age , but who is luckily an old wise soul

      Delete
  3. veg artist2:51 pm

    Hope you were wearing a daff!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dydd Gŵyl Dewi Hapus! X

    ReplyDelete
  5. Barbara Anne2:54 pm

    A walk, then breakfast with a friend is a wonderful start to the day and your plans for later are delightful.
    I was surprised to see only poached eggs on the menu. Do they offer scrambled or fried eggs if you ask?

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barbara Anne7:00 pm

      Oh, and Happy Mardi Gras, too!

      Delete
    2. It’s a nice but rather regimented menu

      Delete
  6. breakfast out along with great coffee is always enjoyable. Your walk on the Bay looks divine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Look in the fpvery far distance and you can just see the Gop hill 20 miles east

      Delete
  7. I miss the big skies and early morning prom walks in Llandudno so much. A coffee in the fresh air is always a treat isn't it.

    Happy St David's Day. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Colwyn bay has skies reminiscent of the Turner skies in Margate x

      Delete
  8. Do you wear the girl's leads attached to yourself John? x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy St David's Day to my favorite Welshman! Breakfast at the coast sounds lovely. Glad the crate wasn't too difficult for the bulldog. She'd be hard to wrestle!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. croeso
      Which means you’re welcome xxx

      Delete
  10. We used to go out for sumptious (i.e., over the top) breakfasts. Former Americans, you now. Now, it’s mostly just coffee. Porridge honey and pumpkin seed sure sounds good. Enjoy yourself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What no bacon and maple syrup x

      Delete
    2. Bacon, yes, please! Maple syrup, I’ve never been a huge fan. Just a dollop is plenty for me. SG has pancakes just for the maple syrup. He should serve it in a bowl. But back to the bacon...

      Delete
  11. I didn't know I had a day?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The welsh patron saint
      Dewi sant
      ( welsh for Saint David }

      Delete
  12. I love breakfast out even for dinner! My granddaughter requested for the family to have a brunch out at a favorite nice restaurant for her birthday last month. It was wonderful! I hope you enjoyed your film studies group this afternoon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did , it my kind of film , but I enjoyed the chat

      Delete
  13. Ginger Rogers said 'I did everything Fred did only backwards and in heels'.
    Do you read music, John or do you learn your part by ear?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I referred to that quote today xx

      Delete
    2. No we all learn from Jamie who sings our parts and shows us a level with his hand we follow his lead

      Delete
  14. Barbara Anne1:37 am

    What a thrilling song sung by the Trelawnyd Male Choir and it gave me chill bumps! Heartfelt thanks.
    Enjoy another day off tomorrow!

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  15. A beach walk and then breakfast is so good! Even better with a friend to talk to.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Anonymous10:48 am

    Saturday Night Live opened with a Ukranian Choir instead of a comedy sketch. It was very moving - particularly at the end. I've popped the link here in case you're interested
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjE4_h0t7qI&t=9s

    ReplyDelete
  17. Bloody Mary! Bryn William's prices are high. I hope that he donates generously to Ukrainian causes.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I saw "Top Hat" ages ago and I remember enjoying it, but I don't remember anything about the plot. (Or if there even is one!)

    ReplyDelete
  19. That breakfast menu is extremely cheap if compared to NZ prices. We went out for brunch the other day and it cost $47.00 for Country mince on toast with a poached egg on top (overcooked) Nachos with the said same County mince and no promised jalapeno chilli and a pot of tea for 2. I'd rather have yours.

    I remember Top Hat from my childhood; my mother was a great fan of Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers we watched every movie.

    Jo in Auckland

    ReplyDelete
  20. Breakfast out is the best way to start the day.
    On another note. Our little quilt/fabric shop which also has online presence raised 34,000 for refugees in 4 days. The owner has a sister in Poland and 100% is going to aid the refugees. I was amazed.
    So glad Trump didn't win this term..he probably would have paved the road for Putin's entry. I want to know who let all the crazies out..love you Dorothy..miss Ms Winnie but Albert has my heart.

    ReplyDelete

I love all comments Except abusive ones from arseholes