Barcarolle


Yesterday I found myself changing two syringe drivers at a patient’s beside.
For those that don’t know a syringe driver is a device that gives a specifically measured amount of drug to a patient via an abacath placed subcutaneously under a patient’s skin. 



Large amounts of analgesia, anti sickness meds and medication  that combats terminal agitation can be given safely and incrementally and the drivers are the staple in a palliative care nurse’s weapons to maximise symptom control
Checking the drugs for these drivers has to be done with with another trained nurse and this is time consuming, but I always take my time when changing the drug syringes as it gives you a change to assess your patient, often in the quietness of a side room without distraction or fuss.

My patient was unconscious and alone when I started work changing his meds yesterday morning.
Classic fm was tuned on the tv by his relatives .
And the Barcarolle from Tales Of Hoffman was playing 

It was a beautiful moment of peace on a busy day 

Sublime

It’s cold again this morning……

21 comments:

  1. If your patient's level of consciousness is sufficient, I hope they were soothed by your calming presence and the gentle music. Thank you for being the caring person you are. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I rather think I'd like to be looked after by you in my final hours. You seem such a kind and gentle person John.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope he never gets his hands on me - payback time...

      Delete
    2. I would need my own personal bodyguard.

      Delete
    3. The plaintive flat-line tone...

      Delete
    4. Oh dear. Now I'm worried.

      Delete
    5. No need for you to fear anything Cherie.

      Delete
  3. I remember learning this on the piano as a child and loved it even though I didn't know the lyrics. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It must take a lot of strength to care for patients in their final hour.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That radio station, is often playing-streaming in my office https://internetradiouk.com/#classic-fm.

    Many studies show that music soothes us at the most difficult times in life.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Medical science to ease dying should an option for everyone. A gentle passing with classic music playing in the background sounds perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for explaining exactly what a syringe driver is.

    ReplyDelete
  8. One of my favourite pieces of gentle, peaceful music John.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I met a hospice nurse at the gym just last week. I've seen her before - she is always smiling. We chatted at length about her job - it's hard, yes, she said, but one of the most fulfilling of her life. I told her that it would take very special people, to be able to do it. To be able to help and not be derailed by death. She said she didn't think she was special. Isn't that the way of special people? Special like you, John.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So pleased for you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. My grandmother’s favourite piece of music. I think of her whenever I hear it. She and all her sisters died with cancer, I wish they had had a hospice to care for them.
    Thank you for the work you do.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can recall changing umpteen syringe drivers when caring for the dying as a community nurse in the mid - late 90s. Never easy, but really a blessing for those in pain. We always had two of us to check the dose, until some head honcho at the NHS Trust where I worked, decided that only one nurse was necessary. I was never comfortable with this and thought it dangerous - I believe the rationale amounted to cost cutting. I usually listen to Classic FM when driving - calming (mostly).

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a beautiful piece of music!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anonymous6:35 am

    Thanks for sharing the blog so well and I hope you have something new for me to study.
    តើកាស៊ីណូអនឡាញជាអ្វី

    ReplyDelete
  15. Haven't heard that melody in years. Thanks for the reminder. And I really need to thank you, from long ago, for telling about the Welsh lullaby Suo Gan. Such a lovely tune. It's become a favorite.

    ReplyDelete

I love all comments Except abusive ones from arseholes