More Christmas Stories

* see below

The West Cheshire hospital . way back in the early 1980s still had a small and functioning Church. It was a rather unwelcoming, mid Victorian building of red brick, which always seemed rather more utilitarian in its design, for it had few of the period excesses and decorations one would expect from a Victorian house of worship.
Many of the long stay patients, most of which lived out their twilight years on the hospital back wards, would attend Church services on Sunday and occasionally we students would accompany them, especially if there was a "big" service on , say at Christmas or at Easter.

I remember one Christmas marshalling perhaps 15 patients from Irby Ward and with my fellow student helping out ( the trained staff would all be drinking coffee in the office) we walked down for Church service.
The chaplain was a man , I had never met, but I kind of took a dislike to him immediately for his obvious lack of warmth he showed to any of the institutionalised patients filing in to his church.

Dressed in some sort of robe ( robe in a Hospital Church?) I remember quite clearly the look of distaste on his face when one old lady chirped up loudly "Are you God?" from her place in the pews...
His reply was a short and rather sharp "No!"

Late to arrive was a patient called Pat, who was always a favourite with the students as she was "almost normal" in her behaviour and affect. Pat had been in hospital since the 1940s, and although dreadfully institutionalised , still retained a noticeable sense of humour, which was a rarity. She also took a great interest in people and would go out of her way to make a nervous young student nurse welcome on her ward, a fact that was much appreciated , especially as some of the ward staff were well known for not being THAT student friendly.
Pat always had a bad perm,an oversized overcoat with matching handbag (which was filled with fags and sweets) and too much make up on.....she also always had a strange companion in tow, by the name of Phyllis 
Phyllis , too had been in hospital probably over forty years, but whereas Pat was sociable and interacted with staff, Phyllis remained in her own, isolated little world.
Today she perhaps would come under the broad definition of someone with learning difficulties.... back in the 1940s, she would have been lumped with the official title of "Moron".

Phyllis could not speak, in actual she had difficulty breathing, which she did in strange guttural gasps and she had  odd "look" to her as she looked permanently surprised with her pencilled in inverted eyebrows. She had great difficulty walking and would only do so by holding on to Pat's arm, and the two women were devoted to each other as they pottered around the old asylum, running errands and smoking cigarettes together.

Anyhow,like I said, Pat and Phyllis were ever so slightly late for service and as they entered the Church door, we all heard Pat cheerfully apologise to the chaplain who was just about to start his service.
The chaplain walked across to the two in silence showing Pat where to sit down with a wave of his arm, and impatient at the interruption he actually pushed Phyllis, who was somewhat slower than her companion, brusquely to her seat.

I could see a couple of female student nurses in their pink uniforms and blue capes bristle at his behaviour, and as he started his big speech about the importance of Christmas, he looked annoyed at the clip clop of Phyllis' built up shoes on the stone flags as she struggled to find her pew.

I remember thinking... well if this is Christianity in hospital well you can shove it up yer arse!

The rest of the service was nice enough.... the hymns were sweet... the lady that shouted out "are you God?"...did so only once more....and  despite it's austerity the Church felt just that tiny bit festive, no thanks to the Chaplain...
But do you know what made the whole experience a memorable one for me and all of the other students dotted around the pews? it was Phyllis!
For when she and Pat got up to leave...Phyllis  tottered to the front of the aisle, and just as the chaplain was being congratulated by the hospital bigwigs for a job well done... she growled like a lion, squatted down, and pissed all over the floor like a horse!





* my secret Santa gift from work 
 

79 comments:

  1. Sounds like Phyllis was giving the chaplin a well-deserved piece of her mind, in her way. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful story, John - sad, and sweet, and "up yours" - the best mix of the spirit of Christmas! I also quite like your gift.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It’s a welsh lady with framed welsh sayings

      Delete
  3. Phyllis is my hero for the day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Barbara Anne1:57 am

    What a great story and a perfect final 'comment' from Phyllis about that chaplain! I remember patients at the psychiatric hospital who were remarkable and so very memorable! Bless Pat and Phyllis and those like them everywhere, then and now. Bless, too, the staff who care and cared for them.
    Love your Secret Santa gift!

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Santa gift is a tiny depiction of a welsh lady in national costume
      The framed words are welsh / English translations , a reference to my spoken welsh which is getting better at work

      Delete
  5. Yay, Phyllis! She made her outrage known to that pissy pastor (so to speak)! It's jugmental and unkind "Christians" like him who give Christianity a bad name.

    Love your adorable Secret Santa gift! She'll look great in your art collection!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your secret Santa gift, she is darling! Glass? Is she a traditionaly garbed Welsh lady?

    ReplyDelete
  7. He well and truly deserved that-and he should have been most thankful that it wasn't something else x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was a horrid man with an unfortunate manner

      Delete
  8. How funny; good for her!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good for Phyllis! That chaplain epitomises all that I hate about religion - holier than thou. Your secret Santa gift is just perfect. Someone knows you well. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think the pastor was holy at all let alone holier than thou. He was downright rude.

      Delete
    2. It was always rude. I posted the same on my Facebook account and an old colleague from those days reminded me of the chaplains name and background
      He said he had an unfortunate manner about him

      Delete
    3. I didn't mean that he was holy, quite the opposite. He obviously thought he was superior to everyone else.

      Delete
  10. Hurrah for Phyllis! How unfortunate that patients who needed to be treated with extra care should be subjected to such an A-hole!

    I love your Secret Santa's gift. It's someone who knows you well, and cares as well.

    Are you on duty over Christmas? I remember you are getting together with some of the family, but I wan't sure whether you were having to squeeze that around duties.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’m finishing nights at 8 this morning then not back on duty until Boxing Day when I’m working the 26th and 27th long days.
      I’m also working nights over New Year’s Eve and day

      Delete
  11. John, I've been thinking about the chaplain wearing robes. I think that as a chaplain I would be keen to give patients the closest thing possible to a regular church service, as a matter of respect. That would require me to wear the garb that was expected in the context. So my question is, why would robes not be appropriate?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I always saw him as a status chaplain
      He liked the look of the role and seemed to suffer from little man syndrome

      Delete
  12. I live your little ornament! Way to go Phyllis 👍

    ReplyDelete
  13. A pretty impatient and poor spirited pastor. Not much kindness or Christmas cheer there. Well done to Phyllis for demonstrating her feelings so well! The close friendship between the two ladies was very touching.

    Like your little welsh lady too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Replies
    1. She’s sweet simple and rather beautiful, she’s very tiny too

      Delete
    2. It’s so small blink and you’d miss it , I’ve sat her on my tiny tv so I can see her everyday

      Delete
  15. Well, I didn't see THAT ending coming!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Go Phyllis!!! Well deserved! I've yet to meet a humble person of the cloth in charge of a church, it's always about them.

    Love your Welsh lady!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It’s nice she now seems to have a fan club

      Delete
  17. Replies
    1. She was a delightful character, the6. Both were

      Delete
  18. coming from a family with a long line of morons and imbeciles , i loved this

    ReplyDelete
  19. Phyllis wasn't too much of a 'moron' then! That chaplain sounds horrible! I think your secret santa gift is delightful.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Joan (Devon)11:09 am

    Even being as you described her Phyllis obviously felt disrespected by the chaplain and doing what she did was her way of reciprocating. Well done to her.

    We also had a little church in the grounds of our hospital, but it was built of stones and much more welcoming. In fact we had our daughter christened there by the chaplain who was the total opposite of your chaplain. I hope it wasn't demolished when they built the housing estate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the church was demolished, I will try to research it

      Delete
  21. A good case of actions speak louder than words.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I think we may all have wanted to emulate Phyllis at some point. Oh OK, just me then.

    ReplyDelete
  23. It sounds like the chaplin was in the wrong assignment, he needed a real understanding of the parishioners.
    The Welsh lady is so cute, 20 years from now she will remind you of the wonderful people you worked with when you were young.

    ReplyDelete
  24. OMG! So funny. John, you do have some stories to tell! Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I adored that story from beginning to end. I feel as though a fascinating novel could be written about the friendship and lives of Phyllis and Pat. I was left wanting more...

    ReplyDelete
  26. Phyllis had the perfect response/action. One good deed deserves another...in reverse. Your story made me very happy that Phyllis and Pat had each other.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Phyllis sounds like my daughter. Piss on you. Well done Phyllis.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Oh Phyllis! Well done. And I can't believe administration would congratulate someone who didn't show an ounce of kindness for anyone.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Well, I'd say she made her opinion known!

    ReplyDelete
  30. The gift is you. I have seen that figure before..in your photo of you and another man swapping hats for a wedding.
    A Gentle Man ...your book cover photo.

    ReplyDelete
  31. You will never forget that Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Exceptional story, it made my week. Thank you very much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  33. That's quite the story good on Phylis ! lovely to read about the bond between Phylis and Pat I hope they did not have to endure the chaplain every week.

    ReplyDelete
  34. My sister..who is also of a lower IQ..has recently taken to growling when upset or offended. It is a new behavior and possibly is being continued because I asked her not to. I'd say she is forever about 9.. we do have fun and play most of the day. Thank goodness she is not peeing on things.

    ReplyDelete
  35. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Yay for Phyllis!!

    ReplyDelete
  37. I love people like Phyllis! Comic timing and straight to the point. Well done that woman. Very touching that Pat and Phyllis made a strong connection. I am amazed at the strength of people like them. I worked with people with intellectual and physical disabilities for about 9 years. They were in equal measure a delight and a horror. Kept me on my toes I can tell you.. but I loved that job.

    You Welsh lady is adorable. I love anything Welsh.

    Merry Christmas John and lots of pats to the fur babies. I hope you have a great time.

    Jo in Auckland

    ReplyDelete
  38. I just had to trawl down through all the comments to see if I left one yesterday. Turns out I didn't but I have now. I wonder how the vicar reacted to crying babies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We never had any in hospital , perhaps that why he worked there

      Delete
  39. adore the secret santa

    ReplyDelete

I love all comments Except abusive ones from arseholes