Last Night In Soho, Maryland and Albert Snogs Dorothy

 
Polanski’s Repulsion 

It’s been a corn beef hash of a day today
A right mixture.
This evening I’ve not felt 100% ( my bladder is playing up)  so Ive missed choir and rescheduled a badminton game with Gorgeous  Dave until Monday.
Don’t worry, it’s not covid, I got my negative PCR test result back early this morning.
Soon after that I took myself to the cinema then to the theatre to see a short rehearsed read through . The cinema ticket was complementary . The theatre ticket was free.
Before I went out, I popped to Old Trefor next door to change his recent minor surgery dressings. He rang up last night asking for some help. I’ve told him I’ll pop in each day to change them.



The film I went to see was described as a psychological horror movie. Last Night In Soho , as it turned out was really a sort of remake of Roman Polanski’s 1965 study chronicling the decent into a psychotic illness of a shy Belgian woman living in 1960s London.
The Polanski film was a chilling and truly terrifying piece….stark and almost documentary in its style, whereas the Edgar Wright film is a vibrant, loud evocative mixture of 1960s music, Hollywood slasher movie and indie drama with an excellent performance by the lead Thomasin McKensie as a mentally fragile fashion student who becomes obsessed with dreams and visions of a 1960 cabaret starlet (Anya Taylor Joy) who apparently was stabbed by an abusive pimp in the bed sit bedroom they both shared albeit it fifty years apart.
Wright’s movie uses the ambiguity of mental illness versus psychic visionary to its hilt and uses clever cinematography and vibrant colour to reenact a  Soho 1965 rather impressively 
I’m not a lover of horror films , but this one has some style,and class and I loved the fact that Wright featured three 1960s icons in the supportive roles, namely Rita Tushinghan, Terrence Stamp and the glorious Diana Rigg in what was her final film.

After this I went to Theatre Clwyd watch the rehearsed read through  of the controversial Maryland by Lucy Kirkwood which had recently caused such a stir at the Royal Court In London.
This is an extraordinary piece of writing and theatre , written quickly and in anger beyond anything any man can truly understand
Maryland features the meeting of two women who have been sexually assaulted and watching this 30 minute essay piece of theatre provoked and upset me more than anything I have ever watched in the cinema in a while
The theatre asked all patrons send a donation to https://rapecrisis.org.uk/ in Lieu of a ticket charge

Watching Bake off now with a gin and paracetamol 
Love Noel’s description of Lizzie
Princess Leia dressed as a children's bullfighter“






28 comments:

  1. I hope you are feeling better soon. How provocative should theater be? Two close female friends have told me about being assaulted, one was shocked that her family did nothing about it, one still believes it was somehow her fault for having one to many glasses of wine. For both it was a defining moment - in bad ways.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you have covered two terrible aspects of the iceberg which is female assault

      Delete
  2. It all sounds very harrowing, and not one for me. I get enough horror and angst watching the news. How lovely that Trefor has his own personal nurse on hand! I hope you feel better tomorrow. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’m glad I went The Q & A afterwards was eye opening

      Delete
  3. I worry about your waterworks. Drink more water darling x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It’s a chronic problem mave ,,,,I’m under an urologist
      ( say nothing)

      Delete
  4. countrygal9:37 pm

    I hope your urology problems get sorted out; talking about such things I have the marvellous men to empty my cess pit this week - they are two gorgeous men in overalls and eyes that say 'come to bed'. No, I am not answering any questions but suffice to say get a cess pit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. flis..10:31 pm

    Albert and Dorothy look to be good friends John-thank goodness your results were fine-sorry to be personal but I wonder if you are a bit warm in the gusset department and that's why it returns-perhaps a bit of a draught would help-and by the way tomorrow my chimney sweep will be calling with his equipment-he is very thorough x(love A Taste of Honey)x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Flis has a point John. Recurring infection must be caused by something.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My dear John,
    You drink too much coffee and not enough water.;-)
    Hugs, Cyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I drink 4 litres a day Cynthia xxx

      Delete
    2. Have you tried drinking cranberry juice or take cranberry tablets ... you can find them with the vitamins and supplements! They are for urinary tract health. I know you are on meds, but the cranberry tablets are safe and good for you and they do work. I take 500 mg every day!

      Delete
  8. Female assault is often violent and quite common. Sadly, many women end up blaming themselves for the crime which is often wrong. There can be many variations on circumstances for the victim and the aggressor. No surprise that it hits the big screen.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can't read the bit about the theatre :-( I'll comment on Bakeoff instead - I love Lizzie, would really like to see her win. She's a genuine, honest soul with a great sense of hunour, and a good foil for the gorgeous Noel :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm glad you enjoyed the film. Thomasin is the nice of a friend of mine, and comes from a "theatre family" - her grandmother is Dame Kate Harcourt and one of New Zealand's most well known actresses. Both her parents are in theatre arts too. "Blue blood"! and thoroughly nice people.
    We've just come home from the latest James Bond movie ... corny funny, and altogether trying to be PC... a romp, but not James Bond as we've known it ... in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I remember the Polanski film, and especially the scene you illustrate with the arms coming from the walls. Spooky!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Barbara Anne3:23 am

    Albert seems to have reconciled himself to snuggle with Dorothy since soul friend Winnie is nowhere to be found.
    Cheers for a negative test, commiserations for the bother of the recurrent UTI (yes, to water and cranberry juice).
    Methinks I'd just stay home from such spooky films and the sadly all too real theater.
    It's good to be the nurse on call for family and friends. Just today I emailed a friend who lives on the other coast to give nurse-advice after she fainted yesterday. In her 70s, stood up too quickly, fainted ... possible Postural Hypotension, you know.

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm not too crazy about horror films but if it was well done I might be able to see it. I know I could not see Maryland. Hopefully you will feel better soon and get some rest when possible. I absolutely love that picture of Dorothy and Albert!

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's depressing, but I wonder what changes to society it would take for women to "reclaim the streets" and also to stay safe in all situations. I don't think I could watch Maryland although the message is so important.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for explaining the Polanski link to the film.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Good day Readers and bloggers, I am so Delighted sharing this great testimony on how i was in search for a solution on the internet then miraculously i came Across HERBALIST RAZOR the powerful African herbalist that Cure Numerous individuals Herpes Simplex Virus, so I contacted him due to the testimonies I'm seeing about him on the internet, I was cured too by him, kindly contact him act today through his email he can help you email ; herbalistrazorherbalhome@gmail.com and so he can cure types of diseases like,HEPATITIS B,DIABETICS,CANCER,HPV,LOW SPERM CAM HIV/STD FIBROSIS LOST OF WEIGHT .. all thank to you HERBALIST RAZOR for your kind help in my life his whatsapp number +2349065420442
    Herbalist Razor Facebook PAGE : https://www.facebook.com/HerbalistrazorMedicinalcure/
    Visit his website : https://herbalistrazorherb.wixsite.com/drrazorherbalhome

    ReplyDelete
  18. H.I. stayed in the flat where Repulsion was filmed. She said it was a horrible place. I believe her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting....I spoke to a friend who interviewed some of the cast , he said the cast had a real blast making the movie despite its austerity

      Delete
  19. Oh Repulsion is one of my most favourite films and I have watched it many times.It gave me the idea of putting hands coming out of my kitchen wall,which have been there for about 10 years..my Hubby doesnt even mention them now,lol.I am off to see Last Night in Soho with my Daughter next week.I just love these sort of films,xx

    ReplyDelete

I love all comments Except abusive ones from arseholes