Hathersage and Hope

 
The Sheffield City Hall Ballroom

The dining ballroom in Poseidon

When I was repainting my bedroom that smart navy I cleared out lots of clutter and flotsam.
Amid the detritus of 59 years on this planet, I found a box of photographs.
We don’t seem to have or keep boxes of photographs anymore do we?
Amongst them, , when I got to sort through the memories as I was sitting in the bedroom window seat, was a postcard of the moors above Hathersage in the Hope Valley.
I remembered who had sent it before I re read the inscription on the back

Sorry, call me please….Adam x …it said simply 

I had met Adam at the unlikely sounding Poptastic back in 1995. I was on a break from a boyfriend and a relationship that was fraught with difficulties and too much drama, so wasn’t looking for anything in particular. 
Poptastic was a camp-as- Christmas gay night at the city Hall Ballroom  in Sheffield.
I loved the night, not particularly because it was gay themed….it was more that the surroundings reminded me of the Art Deco dining room in The Poseidon Adventure . 
A middle aged gay movie buff’s fantasy .

Adam was a farmer, well to be absolutely pedantic , he was a  powerfully built livestock feed salesman who used to be a farmer and he looked every inch of one, what with a rosy expression, a tweedy jacket with brogues,  and several young female friends from Hathersage and Grindleford and Hope all determined to have a great time on the works night out. 

He was perhaps 32 and had genuinely never kissed a man before 
I was a tiny bit older and had kissed a few so I was surprised that only after some mild flirting on my part
he came home with me. 

He was closeted, gauche, sweet and very serious and he fell in love with me after that first fumbling evening, even though he was terrified of his family’s and friends’ reactions to the fact he’d gone to bed with a scruffy nurse from Walkley. 

I fell for him too.
For he was a gentle, kind and old fashioned soul
Who couldn’t of? He was a big puppy of a guy. But I was in the throes of a destructive relationship where my boyfriend was already closeted and secretive and at the time ashamed to be gay and I was realising what I could cope with and what I wanted and so a man who was so new to the the gay world wasn’t quite what I needed .
But I saw him again, and again, when he would turn up sweetly with bunches of flowers and an uncorrected assumption  by his parents that he was visiting a girl in Sheffield . 

Then my ex started to call too…..we’ve all been there…..

When I finally broke up with Adam , he cried like a baby. and broke a pane of glass in my kitchen door as he stormed home …..soon after that I disastrously revisited my former relationship which lasted and limped on, like a sick rat until the millennium.  

In retrospect I’d probably been better staying with Adam 
It was a timing issue  I guess. 
It often is…….

The postcard arrived six months later . 
I kept it but never replied to it

I’ve always liked Hathersage 
Such a pretty place.


69 comments:

  1. Hathersage & Hope sounds like a Wallpaper Co, or maybe a Soap maker.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Barbara Anne3:40 am

    What a touching story and a festive, beautifully decorated room in Sheffield's City Hall.
    Yes, timing is everything for many things and events in life.

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The building is rather beautiful babs , full of character

      Delete
  3. A touching story John - what complicated lives some people have - it makes me so sad for them. Take care dear one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yorkshire Liz4:55 am

    What a whole world there is in that story. Thank you for sharing such a bittersweet part of your past. But guard your soul on here. Not everyone will!ove and understand, more's the pity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had almost forgotten about Adam until I started the painting.
      His postcard is now on the mantelpiece . I have been meaning to write about him for a while.

      Delete
  5. Lovely story of the one that got away or was pushed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the Art Deco look!
    Being in a relationship where your partner is unable to be open about themselves must be so difficult for the other person. It is really sad what happened but, as you say, timing is often everything. The past is so full of "sliding doors".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could of coped with just one in a fashion but not two
      In the end I could cope with neither

      Delete
    2. Yes you could have coped with one, you just chose the wrong one.....we are all wise in hindsight😪

      Delete
  7. It could be a subplot in a Patrick Gale novel!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. man in the orange shirt is one of my favourite of his

      Delete
  8. Sorry that the timing was wrong. Hathersage to me means swimming baths (daughter and partner used to go there) and a night spent in an empty and spooky house turned into a bunkhouse, with middle daughter, on the way up to check out Durham Uni . . . It was so spooky we spent the night on the sofa!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We’ve all had that timing thing…..it has stopped and ended many a relationship

      Delete
  9. Thank you for baring your soul. We all make decisions, which on reflection were, perhaps not the wisest. It reminded me of the film I watched the other night on Talking Pictures - "When I'm 64". Have you seen it? xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not baring HH JUST REMEMBERING , I’ve done too much baring over the last couple of years

      Delete
  10. That would have been really complicated. I remember a secretive relationship that would have shocked our friends witless, and that was simply “ boy/girl who were supposed to be models of upright behaviour “ and that was hugely stressful. Growing up is complicated!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My thoughts we clouded by my first boyfriend who couldn’t publically cope then with his gayness

      Delete
  11. Amazing the memories a 25-year-old postcard can stir up.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The 'might have beens' in our lives can bring up so many emotions. The truth is, we will never know how it might have turned out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed…..it was a nice memory to revisit
      I’ve had too many sad ones

      Delete
  13. From your description I thought I too was falling in love with Adam - until I read about his breaking the glass.........

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was only a door slam raymondo , we are all allowed at least one door slam

      Delete
    2. I'd thought it had been in a fit of mad rage, so I suppose now that he can be forgiven.

      Delete
  14. Anonymous9:48 am

    Adam sounds very nice but then to become a glass breaker, maybe not. A good an interesting story. Go on John, contact him to say hi and that you fondly remember your time together. At times we just have put ourselves out there to be ignored or not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I let that go , it was a door slam and he apologised after he did it

      Delete
  15. i wonder what ever happened to him.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Here is hoping he found happiness, and self acceptance.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have stayed at the Hathersage Inn.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have made very poor choices regarding men-looking back the seemingly quiet kindly ones I wasn't interested in-never mind the life I have now with my dogs is just fine-but it could have been very different-worryingly though aI was involved with one acting suspiciously another wanted to marry for a passport etc etc-I was naive x

    ReplyDelete
  19. I was talking about a similar situation to my hairdresser last week.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Why not try to contact him? Maybe not for a life long relationship but just to get caught up, and maybe have a friendship. We can never have enough friends, and he sounds like a very nice guy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don’t have his number even if I wanted

      Delete
  21. Have you thought of contacting him again John?

    ReplyDelete
  22. Anonymous2:36 pm

    I also hope he found the courage to be able to live his life. And add me to the list of those who think you should at least look him up, try stalking him on Facebook, just put his name in and see what pops up. It's what I have done, and still do from time to time.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Timing and circumstances are everything. If you reach out to Adam, the timing might be right today.

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a touching story to share. If I found that card I'd wonder about where he's at and what he's doing now. We often wonder about a path not taken but as that song in the movie reminds us, "there's got to be a morning after..." and we all move forward with our lives.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that you know The Morning After

      Delete
  25. A weekend at the Hathersage Inn?

    ReplyDelete
  26. So much is all about timing. It's a shame you weren't in the same "place" emotionally speaking, but that's just the way of it. Maybe you could send him a note? It would be interesting to know what he's up to now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have no idea where he is Steve and I never kept his number lol

      Delete
  27. What a touching story so many what if's and second guesses all part of what makes us who we are today, I hope Adam came out to his family and friends and no doubt remembers you kindly I hope.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I recently found a friend from nearly 30 years ago, a romance that because of circumstances was at the wrong time, I put a post on his local towns facebook group, (name of Town, Remembered) asking if anyone remembered him and several people remembered him and we're now back in touch.
    Both of us now single again and as they say watch this space! Give it a go John, you've nothing to lose and could regain a lovely friendship.

    ReplyDelete
  29. coulda - woulda - shoulda! didn't!
    it's sweet sadness...thank you for sharing. hugs, John, from the base of the mini-mountain in Maine.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I photograph, primarily with a camera, not my phone, but a seperate camera. I have tens of thousands of photos on my computer. I have started printing images that I like, saving and sharing them. Do people who shoot mostly on phones, back up the images on a computer? Do you print any of them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I upload my phone pictures to my PC and they are stored on the cloud. Not that I am totally familiar with the cloud being a technophobe but it helps having an I.T. expert for a son.

      Jo in Auckland

      Delete
  31. John, I do believe you have mentioned Adam before. Unless, I dreamed it.
    I thought then ...wonder what happened.
    Could you be in a position in your life now to look at him anew. I am , of course, such a romanicist.
    We could try, could't we?

    ReplyDelete
  32. We sometimes romanticize lost loves but then if by chance we meet again, we are reminded why we left them when we did.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Feathers on the wind..
    Softly flowing with the breeze..
    Forgotten memories return
    Thoughts of what might have been.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Adam sounds lovely. Timing in life can get you what you desire but more often than not is out of whack.
    My relationship with my lovely man was all about timing!

    Jo in Auckland

    ReplyDelete
  35. I have boxes of photos!
    I love that he brought flowers, did he know it was a particular love of yours or was he just a big romantic?

    ReplyDelete
  36. Life is filled with "might have beens". I hope that Adam got to live an authentic life. Perhaps you helped him to get there.

    ReplyDelete

I love all comments Except abusive ones from arseholes