Stritch


 

Sometimes I feel I’m slowly morphing into Elaine Stritch
No ,I haven’t got a voice like glass strewn sandpaper, 
No, I don’t breathe whiskey fumes from behind eye glasses the size of the Titanic’s portholes
And no I don’t burst into a rendition of I’m Still Here every time the fridge door is opened 
But we do have something in common, with this old Broadway Babe and that is humour.
I have used humour all my life, well later on in my life as I , like Stritch admitted in her famous 2008 interview with Robert Faires. 
You make people laugh and you can get them to do anything for you she rasped 
My family may question this statement as they have experienced a more reflective, quieter John these past few years , but in general I can perform just as stridently as the old hoofer with an attitude, when the wind is in the right direction and the mood takes me.
And people like to laugh, and smile and giggle
It’s a powerful skill, especially in nursing

Strange as it may seem, like Stritch I have hardly any memory of life before I was eleven.
I am sure there are psychologists from all over who would have a lot to say about that one

I’ve just been making a co worker laugh after an ok shift
You won’t go to heaven
She told me in between giggles
I hope not I said, channelling my best Stitch, scenery munching expression
Humour giving me much more back .....




19 comments:

  1. The ability to make others laugh is a true blessing, especially in your line of work. When emotions are raw and in turmoil, laughter can soothe and release the tension. We all need a good laugh and giggle at times. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Accepting that you claim to have "HARDLY" any memory of your first eleven years, you surely must remember at least one thing about your first day at school, yes?

    ReplyDelete
  3. The ability to make others laugh is a precious one. Have you noticed how every Liverpudlian who ever lived seems to have that gift in different proportions?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous8:48 am

    I'm not bad at humour, but I think I need to use it more at home with my grumpy arse partner rather than just publicly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. She was one of my showbiz heroes. Saw her one-woman show. Fantastic. My humour has sometimes backfired spectacularly, so I try to keep my mouth shut these days.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Humor is much better than misery. I cannot remember much of large portions of my life, especially my married years. What I tend to remember are the traumatizing parts :).

    ReplyDelete
  7. Making people smile and laugh is a gift John-I was in shock and could hardly speak after my top dog had passed-I took him to the doggy crem and the lady who met me there was an angel and immediately put me at ease in a caring but happy,jovial way and I was soon smiling and felt safe for her to help x

    ReplyDelete
  8. My favorite people are the ones who are easy to laugh with! These kind of people don't take life too seriously, even the worst parts of it, yet they are kind and loving. I suspect this is you, John!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love Stritch.

    If I was only allowed to choose one trait/characteristic as a human...it would be a sense of humour. Fortunately, we're not limited to one, and luckily, a sense of humour is definitely one of my defining characteristics. Wouldn't have survived to my eighth decade without it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. "And no I don’t burst into a rendition of I’m Still Here every time the fridge door is opened "

    I do. =) And I loves me some Stritch.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Continue morphing...lucrative new career as a standup comedian?!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Barbara Anne1:31 pm

    Laugh and the world laughs with you! What a delight it would be to work with you at the hospice. Your gift of humor invites good karma as well as lifting the spirits of those around you.

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  13. The next stage of the morph could be beard loss.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Laughter/humour can assist us in getting through rough patches in life. It has for me. And I think I can be very funny! My Dad had a wonderful sense of humour that got him through his very hectic life.......sometimes it drove me nuts but now I understand more.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love making patients laugh too. It is the best medicine.

    ReplyDelete
  16. In this life, you have to either laugh or cry. Laughing is better, if you can manage it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Good to know there are no whiskey fumes. I DO break into I’m Still Here at the drop of a hat. Does anyone still wear a hat? Oddly, I have distinct memories from when I was about a year and a half old. I wonder what THAT means.

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a shame you can't remember your earliest years, you should try some regression therapy ... but I wonder if you would find much humour in those years, hopefully the answer is yes.

    Humour is the only thing getting me through at the minute 🙂

    ReplyDelete

I love all comments Except abusive ones from arseholes