A Rose , A Puffin, The Women’s Institute Concert and a 24 year old thank you!

 I’ve talked of serendipity a great deal on Going Gently over the past two years .
It’s a phenomenon that has swing into my life like the pendulum of a great clock
And like a good clock, it’s presence has been timely.

Last night’s shift was a busier one than normal. I was knackered afterwards , and when I had breakfast this morning, I ate left over coriander salad with chicken out of the side of my mouth as I leaned sleepily across the kitchen table still in my uniform
I looked down at Dorothy who was licking her lips from her position in Winifred’s arm chair and told her to bugger off 
“Its been an emotionally  tiring week!” I told her, but unlike Winnie she didn’t understand my words and just looked guilty.
Winnie would have nodded benignly and would have mew mewed me a kiss.
I was in bed only ten minutes before a rather gorgeous delivery driver knocked on the door
The box was large and contained a standard rose for the garden.
The roses depicted on the accompanying label were old fashioned yellow and scented and called “ Winnie” a gift from my friend Colin 
A wonderful gift , and one that couldn’t be more timely 

The girls and I went back to bed feeling happy and warm.
An hour or so later another delivery man knocked .
He left a small square package, a gift from another friend
The card accompanying it said simply a puffin for an old dear poof...add it to that bloody art wall of yours



I returned to bed and slept.
When I  did eventually woke I noticed a message on my phone from the Trelawnyd WI .
They have organised an on line Zoom concert for Monday and wondered if any of the villagers wanted to join in. The singer is Iona Fyfe https://ionafyfe.com/
So there is Monday evening sorted ....village elder Ian says he’s quaffing craft ales during the concert.
I think I may have some gin left over in the fridge.

Iona Fyfe


Tonight I feel much brighter because of the rose bush, and the puffin and the concert.
And of this short note which popped up tonight from Facebook messenger 

“Hi John, you probably can’t remember me but I was an inpatient at sheffield spinal injuries unit in 1996/7, at the same time that the then nikki Claxton of gladiators came was there. I was just chatting with another fellow inpatient of the time,  and he mentioned the sheffield SIU friends page and there you were! You were such a terrific charge nurse and helped me and my family through what was an incredibly difficult time so 24 years later, a big Thank you to you for really making a difference all those years ago.

I hope this finds you well.Best wishes, Amanda”

How lovely!!!! a thank you message 24 years “ late” but like the rose bush, and the puffin and the concert invitation...oh so timely.

Serendipity? Perhaps ?....it’s a funny old thing

43 comments:

  1. Barbara Anne12:55 am

    Your deliveries and email from caring friends were excellent, timely, and just right in every way! I didn't realize there was a type rose named "Winnie" but am glad Colin did.
    "Serendipity" is one of my favorite words.

    Big hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's also a rose called serendipity!

      Delete
    2. Barbara Anne2:56 pm

      Interesting! Ta, Adie!

      Delete
  2. I think John you may have had a rather good puffin perfect day in perspective x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad your day turned out so well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely and thoughtful gifts and thanks.

    Can we see the rose's label/photo? I looked for a Winnie rose, but couldn't find one, I d love to see it. What an amazing find from your friend!

    Lizzy x

    ReplyDelete
  5. The universe is showering you with love and appreciation right now -- lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And the power of positive thinking too

      Delete
    2. See, I never really believed in positive thinking, but then again... Can't hurt! ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿคท‍♂️

      Delete
  6. Wow, what a lovely bunch of surprises! You deserve it all. I especially like the sound of that rose bush! ๐ŸŒน

    ReplyDelete
  7. Timely serendipity indeed. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. A very good day, by the sound of it. How very kind of that lady to thank you after all that time. You have no idea how much you affect people's lives; well done.

    ReplyDelete
  9. If you put good out into this world, it returns to you. I think that you're seeing that very thing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The rose bush has touched me enormously. What a kind and thoughtful gift.The puffin made me smile. Be gentle with yourself John. x

    ReplyDelete
  11. A nice feeling when good things happen one after another.

    Our front door opens into the living room. A while ago, we were both sat drinking coffee watching TV when a delivery person knocked on the door. We both simultaneously showered ourselves with thankfully not-too-hot coffee.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops! Sorry, Carruthers, but that made me giggle. I'm glad the coffee wasn't too hot.

      Delete
  12. Sounds like a lovely day. The rose sounds gorgeous, such a beautiful way to remember Winnie.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Just lovely. Thank you for sharing with us.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a wonderful thing to do to send you a 'Winnie' rose. It tugged at my heartstrings. x

    ReplyDelete
  15. What cheek...you're not old!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. How good the 'night' turned out to be John. X

    ReplyDelete
  17. Serendipity indeed ! I myself had just finished mentioning Winnie in a Christmas card I will be sending you before reading this post, my name is Amanda ! X

    ReplyDelete
  18. Such lovely things to have happened. The rose will be wonderful to remember Winnie by. I hope more lovely things happen for you in the weeks ahead. x

    ReplyDelete
  19. What you give off, you get back, a lifetime of improving others lives . . . the best . . .

    ReplyDelete
  20. No what goes around comes around. What lovely thoughtful people and some lovely gifts you are indeed blessed x

    ReplyDelete
  21. It’s a wonder you didn’t drag the vision on the doorstep into your bed, or were you too tired?

    Sad to hear of Winnie’s death, I did try and comment but I have been having a bit of bother with my equipment! The old girl had a stylish exit, only she could have done it with such aplomb. Good gett’em girl...

    LX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Go, that should have been, this blooming machine... or is it me?

      LX

      Delete
  22. Such lovely, thoughtful gifts and how nice to receive the thank you message just at the time you needed a little boost x

    ReplyDelete
  23. a busy day at the little cottage! cute puffin!

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a coincidence! With all you do and all you share, YOU are a gift that keeps on giving. Thank you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Yes, Pooh, a funny old thing.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Time has its rewards :) And kindness. Love the roses. And the Puffin. Have a lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Words of gratitude are never late and are always welcome. More reminders of how much love surrounds you. Just the tonic you needed, sans gin. X

    ReplyDelete
  28. I think all of you front liners should be thanked daily!! You are true heroes.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Life is a funny old thing indeed. Sending hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  30. In the words of an old aunt - everyone gets their just reward in the end.

    ReplyDelete
  31. That thank-you message is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  32. That's lovely,a Winnie rose!

    My Pippin was cremated and part of her ashes were used when we planted a Lilac on the spot where she liked sunbathe.

    Our Laddie is 14.5. When he passes (and I hope he has a home death) he to will be cremated and will have a Plum Tree in his honour. The current Plum has died and my boy loved to lick fallen plums and lie under it's blossoms

    ReplyDelete
  33. Amazing how sometimes things happen at just the right time.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Perhaps we get the messages when we need them. They are not late they are right on time.

    ReplyDelete
  35. I would highly recommend Mr Benjamin services to any person in need of financial help and they will keep you on top of high directories for any further needs. Once again I commend yourself and your staff for extraordinary service and customer service, as this is a great asset to your company and a pleasant experience to customers such as myself. Wishing you all the best for the future.Mr, Benjamin is best way to get an easy loan,here is there email.. / 247officedept@gmail.com Or talk to Mr Benjamin On WhatsApp Via_+1-989-394-3740 Thank You for helping me with loan once again in my sincerely heart I'm forever grateful.

    ReplyDelete

I love all comments Except abusive ones from arseholes