Knives Out (Spoilers)


Director Rian Johnson is reportedly a huge fan of Peter Ustinov's 1980's cinematic Poirot, and so it seemed unsurprising that he would pay homage to the genre by creating his very own movie whodunnit in the shape of the entertaining and rather good quality Knives Out

Knives Out has the crime novelist patriarch (Christopher Plummer) apparently committing suicide on the night of his 85th birthday. All of the guests at his birthday party have good reasons for wishing the old guy dead, and his visiting and reassuringly dysfunctional family are all played by a delicious selection of Hollywood elite ,
We have Don Johnson, Jamie Lee Curtis ( on fantastic scene stealing form)  and Michael Shannon playing Plummer's high achieving children whilst Chris Evans and Toni Collette support as evil grandson and dippy daughter in law respectively.
Only the family nurse (Ana de Armas) seems innocent, a "fact" which is overturned as the plot takes on a twist after twist when a famous detective Benoit Blanc ( Daniel Craig) mysteriously turns up in the big dark family house to interview the suspects.

Like I said it's an entertaining romp which zigzags nicely between laughs and tension, and the final " arhh haa!" moment is clever enough for most of the audience to enjoy with gusto even though I was slightly let down by who eventually did it!
Unfortunately Craig is no Peter Ustinov - he simply cannot command respect and interest in the main role and his miscasting as the detective ( and almost bloated continual close ups ) almost ruins the film.
Thank goodness for Jamie Lee Curtis . I won't be at all surprised if she doesn't win an oscar for best supporting actress as her few scenes as the straight talking bitter business woman daughter are a delight to watch.

26 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Great for me, good for you. I enjoyed every second. I even liked the detective having nothing to go on before like you.

      Delete
    2. I thought craigs accent dreadful.....i guess i just miss Ustinov the king

      Delete
    3. Ustinov was a master!

      Delete
    4. What has Ustinov got to do with this film? Was he in it once? I went to see a film called Knives Out with actors who were not someone called Ustinov. I thought we were talking about Knives Out, now, today, 21st Century, present. I have no interest in hearing about someone who wasn't in the film, has never featured in my film going life. Daniel Craig was great.

      Delete
  2. One I would love to see. Thanks John.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed the fun ride.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Barbara Anne9:38 pm

    I'll look forward to seeing this film. I cannot imagine Daniel Craig ever being round enough to play the marvelous and much missed Peter Ustinov.

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am looking forward to seeing this one but have not had a chance to go yet. It seems almost like a Clue game type of movie and I love Jamie Lee Curtis in just about any movie.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I tried to see this twice, but it was sold out both times. It sounds like great fun and something we could all use to escape all the crap going around us.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I won't read this, because I will likely go see the film, I hope it is fun.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Excited to see the film. Ustinov as Poirot was a fave of mine.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have seen it and enjoyed it very much! -Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  10. One of the real highlights of 2019 cinema.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Raymondo your praise of it surprised me x

      Delete
    2. Can't think why it should have. Just being honest. :-)

      Delete
  11. I enjoyed it enormously. Didn’t drop off to sleep once, which is high praise indeed given my previous history of being a cinema in a comfy chair in the dark.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I loved it too. My friend said it was like an episode of Columbo, which I agreed with, as I am a big fan of that show. Ustinov and Charles Laughton, two amazing character actors who should have made more films!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ooh I quite fancy this now after reading your review. I'll try and stay awake, I fell asleep during a live performance of the Mousetrap and Alan had to whisper to me whodunit.

    We're off to the ballet tonight, just a live link-up at the cinema in Llandudno Junction, but it's fast become our Christmas ritual. I'll be practising my pirouettes around in the kitchen in readiness any moment now.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love Jamie Lee Curtis! I'll confess, I'm always a little disappointed that she's not a lesbian...

    ReplyDelete

I love all comments Except abusive ones from arseholes