Silent Call

The Samaritans Charity has faced an interesting challenge since it changed it's practice a couple of years ago by offering a totally freephone number for people to be connected to a trained volunteer.
Where we would be receiving intermittent callers over a volunteer shift, now we often have queues of callers waiting to be connected.
The charity needs more volunteers covering more 24/7 shifts,
plain and simple.

Some volunteer shifts can be challenging too
In addition to the calls you may expect to receive, there are other calls that can complicate a volunteer's work
"Snap" calls are calls where the caller puts down the phone immediately after your preamble of
"Hello Samaritans...can I help you/"
Sometimes that snap call may be a genuine caller who for whatever reason is not quite ready to talk to a volunteer. Sometimes its just a case of the caller not quite connecting to the voice they hear. Some callers prefer talking to a particular gender, that need is perhaps obvious.
Some sex callers want to female Samaritan to talk to. that's an unfortunate and sad reflection of some people's need.
Silent Calls can be a challenge too. Often these may be initiated by people who are so nervous or so distressed that their emotions render them mute and in these calls it is up to the volunteer to remain of the phone offering supporting comments in order to give space and time for the caller to start some sort of interaction.
These silent calls can last quite a few minutes and many end with an eventual hang up.

Last night I had a somewhat difficult silent call
It was my first call of the evening.

"Hello Samaritans...…..Can I help you?"
silence
I gently repeated my opening and stopped to listen
Silence again, but the connection was made. The line was active.
I thought I heard something
"Hello Samaritans?" I repeated and listened again
A minute of so later I asked if the caller was alright
More silence
I told the caller to take their time and that I was not going anywhere
I took a sip of my coffee
And a human scream burst through the receiver which made me jump out of my chair and caused my fellow Samaritan on duty to suddenly look over to me in concern.
The scream was followed by a loud thud then silence again
My nerves jangled but I remained calm and repeated I was a Samaritan and asked if everything was alright.
Silence again
I strained to listen for any clue of what on earth was going on. I wanted to hear a word or a whisper for help. Crying? or even giggling (hoax calls often can be perpetrated by children mischief making)
but there was nothing, except a faint indistinct noise that could have been a faraway tv, radio or even  traffic sound.
I asked again if everything was alright
and minutes passed very slowly.
Another indistinct sound, something being moved. A groan? or was it my imagination.
I calmly repeated that I was a Samaritan
My colleague ended his own call and stopped to listen
I had been on the phone for almost ten minutes when a second much shorter scream made me jump again, I couldn't tell if it was male or female
and a moment after I had asked if whoever was there could tap the receiver to let them know they were there the handset was quietly replaced on the phone
And the call was ended with a soft click

Make of the call what you will.
My colleague came over to my desk and I debriefed to him over more coffee and chocolate biscuits
He could tell I was somewhat rattled
But we talked it out then and I talked it out with my shift leader before continuing the shift with a collection of appropriate calls, several of which were "good" calls,
Callers who obviously gained something positive from their connection with Samaritans

Ending my shift, I walked down the dark back street in Rhyl where our centre is located and hurriedly got into Bluebell with a bit of a shiver.
Before I started the engine.
I clicked the central locking button with a bang


47 comments:

  1. Even with training, taking a call like that must be very unnerving. Let's hope that the caller plucks up the courage to ring again and actually speak to a volunteer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Somewhat difficult?? OMG What is a difficult call then?
    Really. Helping people is hard work.

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can appreciate how such a call would be pretty unnerving. If it was a hoax call, it was a bloody nasty one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Take Mavis with you next time. Whatever you need, he'll be there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope everyone is okay, that a voice helped them feel a connection.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think as Travel has said.Perhaps they were desperate to connect with someone before they burst with their distress.Hopefully they will be able to speak out soon x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow. That is intense. Is it ever recommended that a volunteer call emergency services if something like that happens? You have the caller's phone number, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No steve, we have no idea of the caller number

      Delete
  8. I volunteered on a hot line for a number of months back in my early 20s. mostly we got lonely people just wanting someone to talk to. I don't think any of us experienced anything like your call.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Woah, that's a bit harrowing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sams really are a lifeline. I listened for over 10 years, John, in 3 different centres (retraining each time), but for me the accumulation of these kinds of experiences, and worse, began to lead to indifference, thinking "heard it all before", wanting to say "pull yourself together" (true!). It was time to leave. Hope you have lots of years left in you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The sex, crank and inappropriate calls do take their toll

      Delete
    2. It was the real ones that did for me.

      Delete
    3. Those I can cope with

      Delete
  11. Even with ambiguous, unsettling calls like that, the work you do is so crucial and I applaud you for it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. One of my daughters is an emergency dispatcher. Early one she got a call from a man threatening suicide. He lived in the far reaches of the county and it took help 45 minutes to get to him. She was able to talk to him the entire 45 minutes about a wide range of topics. It made me glad I spent all that money on her education that she could keep him engaged in whatever subject he wanted to ramble on about.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think that was a good decision. Hope you are ok now.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Having volunteered for Samaritans for a while in my thirties I had my fair share of sex and crank calls They didnt bother me too much but when I had to face real people who often had mental health issues who visited the office I was worse than useless. Now in my sixties, with a terminal illness, my own mental health is beginning cause me great distress. I hope that if I ever reach the point of needing an understanding voice at the end of the line that I am blessed with someone like you. You never know if or when you will need this wonderful organisation and thank goodness for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The need of people with mental health concerns has rocketed at sams...

      Delete
    2. Because there are no bloody services for them.

      Delete
    3. On Fridays many psychiatric community nurses tell their patients to ring us over the weekend as there is often limited support available

      Delete
    4. A couple of years ago my doctor sent me to hospital to be checked for a possible small stroke-I sat in a bay with a young woman who told me she had little support for her mental health problems and she had no one to contact at weekends.She said she would be so depressed that she would get drunk,then take tablets and then phone emergency,so then she would get help temporarily.The nurses knew her well and brought her a sandwich and pop and she seemed ok.It seemed it was ongoing and she said she couldn't get help and support at all when she was desperate x

      Delete
  15. Gosh that must have been so hard to deal with. It will stay with you for a long time. The hardest part of my sons job is that he rarely finds out how the situation ends and how the emergency calls he handles pan out in the end.

    Thank goodness you have some furry little pals to cuddle into at home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The longest call I have had was nearly 2 hours

      Delete
  16. That was really scary and unnerving. You are such a giving soul.

    ReplyDelete
  17. How difficult it must be to take these calls. It certainly does take a special person with a particular set of skills.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have some excellent and talented volunteers

      Delete
  18. OMGoodness. I realise why numbers should not be traceable, but perhaps it would be a good idea to be able to override that if a Samaritan thinks the caller is in danger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The whole basis and the whole strength of sams is it's adherence to confidentiality despite having to balance that with safeguarding

      Delete
  19. It sounds like a prankster to me. If so, it is sad that they are out there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeap.....I agree but it still put the shits up me

      Delete
  20. Barbara Anne9:14 pm

    What a chilling call in every way. It would be a shame if it was a prank call, but if it was a real call, that's even worse for the caller's state of mind or wellbeing.

    You have such a lovely and reassuring voice, John.

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My colleague's voice is so much better than mine.....I fell for it !

      Delete
  21. Someone was being a dickhead. For a while I volunteered at the Gay Switchboard in Harrisburg and now and then we'd get similar calls. They're intended to rattle you.

    ReplyDelete
  22. that sure is scary but what you do is so needed and important.

    ReplyDelete
  23. That was very creepy, and open to many, many interpretations, none of which seem positive, I must say. I'd have been locking my car doors as well!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Were you actually scared of being stalked or attacked or were you just spooked. Your car's locks probably engage at less than 5 mph anyway...but what if the creeper was hiding...nevermind.

    ReplyDelete
  25. If it was a prank call, then they should be ashamed of themselves. It sounds very harrowing.

    ReplyDelete
  26. That was upsetting to read. If it was a prank then sick, if someone was genuinely distressed then it's heartbreaking.

    ReplyDelete
  27. What a mysterious call. I have no idea what that was all about. I can only hope nothing disastrous happened after the person put the phone down.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I began the training course years ago John but my hearing even then was such that it was impossible to continue. Now I hear very little even with hearing aids. I suppose calls like this are an ever present occurence and probably you will never know the answer.
    But sad it if was a hoax - can't help feeling that if it was then the caller is in need of some sort of counselling.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I hope that its ok to mention it here but there is a freefone number..0800 4 708090 called Silverline that is for people who are just lonely or have got no one to help with a problem.It is a line set up by Esther Rantzen a few years ago and it is genuine and helpful and open 24 hours 7 days a week.Hope that this helps people who dont know about it,xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you debi
      We refer many people to silverline xx

      Delete

I love all comments Except abusive ones from arseholes