Les Miserables Boyo missus!!!!!!

Do you hear the people sing?

A few miles East of Trelawnyd is the pretty market town of Mold.( Welsh name yr Wyddgrug)
It's an important place for me as it's the home of Theatr Clwyd 
My nearest cultural centre and location of the only real art house cinema in the North Of Wales
Last night my sister and I went to see the Theatre Clwyd production of The Mold Riots which is a community based dramatisation of the 1869 riot where the Welsh town folk rebelled against the jailing of seven Welsh miners who had been involved in a scuffle with their English mine owner who had banned Welsh speaking underground and who favoured the handful of English miners under his employ.
One day more

In the riot two miners and two local women were killed and with a cast of four professional actors and nearly 100 local people playing the Mold residents, the whole production which was set in the Very streets that the riot took place around 150 years ago, was an energetic  and at times rather moving piece of theatre.
Because of the torrential rain, last night's production took place in the Town's St Mary's Church rather than in the streets selves where the audience walked around the pews which doubled as the great unwashed local market!
It was, in all essence, a massive Welsh Version of Les Miserables! 



As Janet and I wandered amongst the actors, a serious looking Victorian Welsh woman with a Very dirty face ran up to us and asked Janet if she had seen her husband
" Sorry I don't know him!" Janet answered honestly
We had the giggles about it all on the way home.
A lovely night!

28 comments:

  1. That sounds like my "cup of tea". Drama that bites and is close to home - telling a true story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Barbara Anne11:42 pm

    Priceless re-enactment of sad history but am so glad you and Janet could go. Hope that woman found her husband! ;)

    Happy days off!

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bloody English. I cannot stand them either.

    ReplyDelete
  4. An interesting way to hold a play - but I am too shy to enjoy the interaction with the actors and actresses! Good answer by Janet :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful evening.
    parsnip

    ReplyDelete
  6. To ban people from speaking their own language, even 150 years ago, does sound rather excessive. I think I would have joined the rioters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My father and his friends were banned from speaking Welsh in school, and I remember being taught English before going to school. Now, they are teaching Welsh to kids from a young age, to try to keep the language alive.

      Delete
    2. I visited Wales for a short road trip when I was about 18 with my then boyfriend; later husband. We booked into a little bed and breakfast and the little girl of the establishment was around 4. It was her Birthday and I wished her a Happy Birthday, she had to ask her Dad what I said to her as she was exclusively a Welsh speaker until she went to school, I thought that was fantastic. On the same trip we travelled around Wales and went into a pub in some remote area... when we walked in the pub the "conversation" stopped, we ordered our drinks in English and you could have heard a pin drop.... we left very soon afterwards feeling so out of our depth without a bevvy I might add!!

      Jo in Auckland

      Delete
  7. It was the same here in New Zealand with the Maori not allowed to speak their language in school.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like great fun, and educational.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That sounds fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Interesting! I've never heard of this incident.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Now that I live in Brittany, the similarities to Wales is astounding. The Bretons were also banned from speaking Breton around the same time the Welsh were going through these problems. There is a resurgence of the Breton language so I'm having to learn two versions of French to just get by!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That sounds powerful John x

    ReplyDelete
  13. It sure looks and sounds like a wonderful production a great way to put on a play and get the audience involved, history has left a bad legacy in most countries.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That sounds like so much fun. But where is Janet hiding that woman’s husband?

    ReplyDelete

I love all comments Except abusive ones from arseholes