Stan And Ollie


A homage should, in my mind, be carried out with some affection and this cinematic homage to the wonderful  talents that were Laurel & Hardy has affection in bloody bucketfuls.
It's a truly sweet story which has made an absolutely lovely film.
Set in the 1950s when the duos' careers were on the wane, we follow the ever chirpy Oliver Hardy ( John C Reilly) and his more cynical and slightly more savvy sidekick Stan Laurel ( Steve Coogan) on their come down tour of Northern Britain's second rate theatres.
Plagued with ill Heath and the memory of a friendship testing contract problem, the men's relationship is challenged further by career worries and complicated by the arrival of their wives from the US.
Reilly and Coogan not only play the comics they become the comics and their reenactment of the most well loved of Laurel & Hardy set pieces have to be seen to be believed. They are just THAT good a modern day audience lapped them up with the gusto of their 1930 counterparts.
Having said all this, it is the chemistry between Reilly and Coogan that makes the film work so well. They capture a genuine and often poignant affection that was held between the two men and their scenes together, especially those after Hardy is taken ill have a resonance and power all of their own.
I never stopped crying for the entirety of the last third of the film.
Wisely, halfway through the story brings the comics' wives into play and we meet the wise cracking Lucille Hardy ( Shirley Henderson ) and straight talking Russian Ida Laurel ( Nina Arianda ) both fiercely protective of their husbands. Their spiky scenes together provide a spark that complements the platonic and brotherly love affair which is essentially the story of their husband's relationship together and which is one that is portrayed with so much respect and love.
10/10

A double act of their own Henderson and Arianda)


32 comments:

  1. One I want to watch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I heard the interview you can find here www.npr.org/programs/fresh-air/2019/01/15/685419650
    the other day and it made me think, "Yes. This is a movie I want to see." Seems like everyone involved had such respect for the men and their story. And I do love John C. Reilly.
    Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Barbara Anne8:26 pm

    What an excellent recommendation. I'll be on the lookout for this movie, too, as I've laughed for decades at Laurel and Hardy. Our family has long said "This is another fine mess you've gotten me into, Ollie" when not so pleased with what has happened.

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just came home from seeing 2/3s of this movie. I did not feel well and had to leave. However, we saw the movie up to the scenes where their wives came to join them in London. I will have to see the rest of it when it comes on Netflix. It was a sweet movie.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just back from watching this and I loved it, the last third was sad though, well worth watching.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don’t think I have seen John C Reilly do any film part that wasn’t perfect.
    He is a quietly brilliant actor.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really want to see this now! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I cant wait to see this. I don't think they could have found any two better actors to play these parts.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I saw Laurel and Hardy at I think it was called The Playhouse in Nottingham John in that final tour. It would be around 1953 I think. As a child I had loved their films but their stage show was very sad as their kind of humour was really on the wane. But it was fascinating to see them 'in the flesh' after all those years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's fantastic pat, yes it was the tour in the film! How wonderful do u remember any of their act?

      Delete
  10. Sounds like a real "feel good" film. I hope you took plenty of tissues to dab away your tears.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous10:58 pm

    Are you positive your mailing address is correct as written on Friday's post? My mail to you was just returned to me today ... in the U.S. Boo hoo! I will try again after the holiday on Monday. Joanne W

    ReplyDelete
  12. No my mail address is fully correct

    ReplyDelete
  13. we want to see this film at our local theater, but it has not been scheduled for screening yet. raybeard liked it also.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks W.Q. - but JayGee is perfectly justified in his summation. Everybody go see this!

      Delete
  14. looking forward to seeing this one, so glad for the rave review..not looking forward to the crying...

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am a huge fan of Steve Coogan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is, of course, miles away from Alan Partridge, C. (of whom I'm a great fan) or even from his impressive Martin Sixsmith in 'Philomena', it's only in recent years that we've (or at least I've) been getting to realise what an exceptional acting talent Coogan is.

      Delete
  16. I'm looking forward to seeing this one!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I recently watched their wonderful 'Big Business', which has always been my favourite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're all gems, C.M., - of variable standard, it's true, but all high quality. What creases me up every time is when Ollie. weary with Stan's clumsiness or 'stupidity', looks at the camera as though imploring us for sympathy in having to put up with his partner's foolishness. Great stuff!

      Delete
    2. 'Big Business' appeals to me because of such a trivial matter becoming so totally overblown; like petulant children.

      Delete
  18. Anonymous7:29 am

    I used to love watching them on tv. On your recommendation, I will see the movie. Don't worry about feeling guilty if I don't enjoy it. I am a senior now and it doesn't cost me so much to see a movie, especially on Tightarse Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  19. This looks good..... I will be going along on Tightarse Tuesday like Andrew ! LOL
    Having a Seniors Card has advantages !!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I've loved laurel and hardy since i was a kid watching them on BBC2 with my best friend we would repeat all their jokes this film sounds like a wonderfull tribute to two comedy greats

    ReplyDelete
  21. We both really enjoyed this film.

    It brought back many happy memories for me too as my little shop in Ulverston was right next door to the Laurel and Hardy Museum and I used to nip in regularly to buy an ice-lolly from their little cinemas freezer. Chatting with Marion who ran it in those days we would stand watching the continual showing of the films of Stan and Ollie.

    ReplyDelete
  22. There are films that just saturate our screens time again. Marvel this and remakes and shoddily put together for mainstream proffit.
    I’ve Allways admired S &O since I was a child. Always made me happy. I loved the companionship they had together as well as inviting Us to be their friends. It’s the Only film I am dying to see, my kids will be there too. It’s good for them to understand love and chemistry and true art.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I want to see this movie, even though they were before my time, I grew up watching them on Saturday morning movies and sometimes dad would stop what he was doing and watch it for a few minutes with us.

    ReplyDelete

I love all comments Except abusive ones from arseholes