Widows


I went to see the much lauded crime film Widows tonight, and although it wasn't quite what I expected, it proved to be a stylish thriller which relied heavily on the performance and presence of the actors involved rather than just plain action.
The main plot revolves around Veronica ( Viola Davis) the wife of an armed robber who had been killed alongside his henchmen after completing their final robbery. Caught up between the corruption within a black versus while Mayoral contest she conscripts two other of the gang's widows ( Michelle Rodriguez and Elizabeth Debicki ) and later a self assured babysitter single mom (Cynthia Ervio) to complete her husband's final planned heist .
The women all have different agendas in the operation and Director Steve McQueen tells their stories economically but incredibly effectively, with Davis' central performance being a standout. Rodriguez gives the quartet some dignity while Debicki 's second generation Polish moll is incredibly moving as she realises that she is worth more than just being a high class hooker, a job arranged for her by her mother. Coming late into the story is Ervio who says little but who provides a wonderfully physical performance as Belle, she's one to watch
There is some graphic violence and an incredibly evil turn by Danial Kaluuya as a grinning henchman.....oh and Colin Farrell and Robert Durvall turn up too ( a bit irritatingly for me) as father and son mayors....
8/10

15 comments:

  1. Steve McQueen is a genius. It looks like he assembled quite an amazing cast. I'm keen to see this film.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I went with my sister and sister in law, my sister in law praised McQueen saying that She loved him in The Thomas Crown Affair

    ReplyDelete
  3. We enjoyed this and gave it an 7/10. We just thought the first half was a bit slow, but it was a powerful film.

    Tonight's movie was slightly different ... we saw The Grinch 😃

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a laugh ... and just what we needed. If you liked the Dr Seuss books as a child you will love this, it stays true to the book with the rhymes and the imagery :-)

      Delete
  4. Hi John, my daughter has an inflatable neck cone a bit like those airline pillows to help you sleep, it’s very comfortable for the dog you’re more than welcome to try it for Mary, I can drop it off at A & Ts if you think it will help x

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's a film that has already burnt itself into my memory, just as McQueen's other three films have for disparate reasons. In this case a large part of it is due to Daniel Kaluuya's viscerally creepy turn, so utterly different from his hapless vulnerability in 'Get Out'. I think that with time my opinion of this will grow further. Glad you liked it a lot too.

    Btw: Thanks for pointing out on my own posting the dog's true breed, now corrected by insert.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Joan (Devon)1:08 pm

    The series on TV in the 70s/80s was good too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's why I'm unsure about this film as I enjoyed the original so much. I have bought the book but saving it for my hols. Just a bit of a niggle, but why do the American film industry insist on doing remakes of really good films or series? It's as if everything has to take place set in America.

      Delete
  7. You had me at Viola Davis!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous1:16 pm

    I loved the movie Widows -- and the book. I'm not sure why there are s o many re-makes.. One film that comes to mind is The Thomas Crown Affair with Steve McQueen and Faye Dunaway that got remade. The original was a stylish movie, the remake wasn't.- jean/winnipeg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous1:28 pm

      I just noticed earlier mention re SM re Widows----I known its not the same one -long since dead poor man

      Delete

I love all comments Except abusive ones from arseholes