The Little Stranger

Post war austerity is the perfect backdrop to the " gothic" ghost story that is The Little Stranger.
In a large country house in decline, a disfigured RAF survivor, his sister and mother are trying to keep the wolves from the door. Their isolated existence is upset by the arrival of a local doctor whose mother was a maid at the house before the Great War and indeed his presence seems to be a catalyst for a whole series of supernatural events to unfold which ultimately lead to tragedy and madness.

The tight arsed Domhnall Gleeson

With lots to say about the class system of Britain between the wars The Little Stranger is a beautifully shot and atmospheric piece which utilises every dark ghostly house cliche  in the history of cinema. But it does so with the benefit of some interesting characterisation and performances .
The visiting doctor ( Domhnall Gleeson ) is a repressed , somewhat cold fish of a man with more class chips on his shoulder than soft Mick. He is attracted to the daughter of the house ( a magical turn by Ruth Wilson) who portrays one of those capable upper class women who is devoid of vanity bordering on eccentricity. She blossomed with the experiences of wartime service ( with one pivotal scene where an old WRAF friend turns up unexpectedly at a dance suggesting her true sexuality) but..now is drowning in the isolation of the decaying family house.

Their scenes together flit effortlessly between a rather sweet charm to an ultimately icy malevolence.  
I guessed the final twist in the tale a third of the way through the movie, which was a bit of a shame, but I enjoyed the bloody shocks when they arrived ( a scene where a visiting child gets mauled by the family dog behind a living room curtain is especially nerve wracking ) and the performance by Wilson is worth the price of a cinema ticket alone
7/10
Ruth Wilson


27 comments:

  1. I love Sarah Waters' books but nothing would compel me to go and see a film with a scene in it like you described about the child and the dog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed. I decided a long time ago that enough ugliness and dispair would find me in this life without me courting it.

      Delete
  2. I love good acting - anywhere, even in a scary movie. Gleeson was A A Milne I think, in 'Goodbye Christopher Robin' which I watched on the plane. I'm a bit of a tight arse too (money-wise) so will watch for this on YouTube.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love movies and never seem to get to the theater with all that's available on TV and for rent. Have you considered ever doing a vlog? Video blog when you the dogs and your village are on camera? I love the ones you've done so far....I'd also love to hear the dogs talking (bark, bark)!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not saying anything until I hear the review from St Rachel of Norwich.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll look for this one. If you get a chance, see the Green Book. It was very good.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I found this book dreadfully DULL. Hope the movie makes better story telling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 7/ 10 is an average score for me and that was mainly for Wilson

      Delete
  7. Anonymous11:51 pm

    Mark Kermode eat your heart out

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haven't heard of this one, but it might be worth a look thanks to your review.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I LOVE the book. I'm afraid that the movie wouldn't live up to it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jolly good. Should be going on Tues.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sarah Jones7:33 am

    I love this book and look forward to seeing the film. Great review John. I agree with you regarding Mark Kermode :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sarah D.7:45 am

    I loved this book, Sarah Waters is such a good writer, will look out for film, cinemas are all a long drive in my rural outpost.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ruth Wilson is a fabulous actress, haven't seen her in anything for ages.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for the review John.. I'd like to check this out! Hugs! deb

    ReplyDelete
  15. I, too, loved the book when I read it a few years back - can't wait to see!

    ReplyDelete
  16. We're off to see this next week, I'm loving things with Ruth Wilson in them at the moment, she's a very good actress. Tonight it's 'The House with a Clock in the Walls', Friday it was 'King of Thieves' which we gave a 7/10.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love those gloves in the last shot. Makes me almost tempted to get mine out of the mothballs.

    ReplyDelete
  18. With do many middle of the road films about it's great to hear a good review.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I think I will skip the mauling leaving it to you.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Adding this one to my IMDB (to)watch list. I'm still warpaint for Shirley Jackson's We have always lived in the castle to be released.

    ReplyDelete

I love all comments Except abusive ones from arseholes