Saturday, 22 December 2012

Lock Up Your Chocolate

Well the household has been somewhat upset as George has been a little overactive ever  since we got home last night.
We can't pin point the reason for this sudden change in activity save for the fact that a single maverick ferrero rocher had disappeared from the kitchen work top.
Mind you, we had not worked that fact out until this morning, too late to do anything about it.
If it is a chocolate reaction, albeit it a small one, we will just wait until it gets out of his system
Unfortunately dogs and chocolate don't mix especially at Christmas as a forgotten chocolate gift under the tree can be eaten within seconds when you are not looking.
Our First Welsh terrier Finlay, once ate a small piece of Mars Bar he found when out for a walk and literally went off his bonce for nearly 24 hours.
Such can be the reaction !
I am working this evening, my last shift until the 28th. So in reality I won't really relax into  Chrimbo apathy until tomorrow.
Here's hoping for a peaceful shift

35 comments:

  1. chocolate and dogs...oh my, it can be bad...I had a poodle once who would destroy the house looking for snickers bars....crazy hound.

    Hope your Holidays are joyful dear friend :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm puzzled by this new-fangled dogs and chocolate thing. My first dog ate (human) chocolate, biscuits, scraps, sweets of all kinds, ice-cream and anything else that was going plus whatever was left on our plates after a meal - and she lived healthily to be almost eighteen years old!

    Is it just certain breeds or has chocolate changed?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our dog Sophie loves the smell of chocolate but has never indulged....yet! I hear some dogs react and some don't, but it can be lethal.
    John, here's to a peaceful shift!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I once saw a dog at an antique shop that had shaved patches on it's legs. The owner told me it ate a box of Lindt chocolate and had liver failure. Apparently it is toxic to the liver of dogs. Some chocolates have a lot of waver and fillers so it may not be so bad as pure chocolate. My lab once took apart my son;s stocking as I put beef jerky in it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope George recovers quickly and doesn't need an emergency visit to the vet. Who told him he could help himself to the chocolates anyway? A very naughty dog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Here's another good reason for me to never have a small breed dog, since size matters in their tolerance. My Rosie has treated herself to many a stolen snack, including a pound of (very expensive!) dried cherries. I'm not safe for a smaller dog, I'm afraid!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Word of warning - chocolate can kill dogs. It effects their liver or something.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Snippet ate an entire net of chocolate coins a few weeks ago. I took him to the vet's and they weighed hi saying he was borderline for induced vomiting so I took him home expecting a pending veterinary mortgage application but he was absolutely fine. It was Lidl's finest so the cocoa content was probably zero! Endure your last shift.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hope it is a peaceful shift. Jx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Our little terrier (12 pounds) got into a kitchen cupboard and ate a few cups real chocolate chips. We found him lying down, trembling, panting and barely responsive. Then, on his own, he threw up vast quantities of chocolately stomach juice for about 30 minutes. We didn't bring him to the vet because his stomach was obviously empty and he recovered fully by the next day. Lucky!

    There is a chemical compound in chocolate which is toxic to dogs. Dark chocolate with a high percentage of cocoa solids is the worst. Some "candy" type chocolate bars may contain very little or no chocolate at all. And of coursre, the weight of the dog influences what amount of chocolate might be a lethal dose.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes, I too thought that chockies were poison for dogs - if not with some alarming immediate effects then a long-term, slow-acting one. So what 'Owl Wood' above says surprises me, though it must be that some breeds are affected less than others. If only they didn't have that 'If it's food, eat it!' mentality - just like human omnivores, I suppose - though even the latter have their likes and dislikes.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The kitten has just nicked a crumb of stilton off a plate and now has a taste for it...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Before I knew anything about chocolate and dogs - my chihuahua would have seizures when he got little snacks of brownie.

    JnJ do not get any, we say chocolate as if it's poison and now when they smell and beg for it, we say the word and they know they aren't getting any. The sad brown eyes give up immediately because they know it isn't going to happen. Have never had them sneak any.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hope you have a peaceful shift. Happy Christmas to you

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hope you have a peaceful shift. Happy Christmas to you

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wolfie ate a whole box of cherry liqueurs last year...an alcoholic and chocolate reaction is not good in an already excitable terrier! At one point he tried to jump on our bed and missed, doing a spectacular head butt...didn't stop his mad hour though! Will think of you working tonight...I'm working as well and it's also my last shift until the 28th....roll on the morning eh?x

    ReplyDelete
  17. Cooking/baking bars of pure chocolate can be lethal, but a sweet bite of prepared choc isn't quite as bad although not healthy. Have a peaceful shift tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Here's hoping George recovers quickly with no after effects!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I *know* that chocolate is bad for dogs but, back in the day, before we all *knew* this, our old corgi once ate a whole tin of Quality Street without any adverse reaction. We came downstairs on Boxing Day morning to find an empty tin, a replete Susie, and hundreds of carefully removed wrappers....

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh yes, our crimbo tree decorations are being closely guarded from the old dog, who can sniff it out from miles away. She once ate 3/4 of a bar of plain choc and the vet had to make her sick!

    ReplyDelete
  21. our dog loved cheese more than anything, in fact she turned her nose up at doggy chocs... hope you have a restful chrimbo... I love reading your lovely blog and finding out all about your world, can't wait for new adventures in the new year x

    ReplyDelete
  22. Coincidentally yesterday when visiting we were talking about dogs stealing chocolates. I never gave her chocolate, but our Shelly (Pekinese cross) once stole most of one of those very large Lindt bunnies one Easter... I didn't know until that chocolate is actually toxic, I thought just not good for them.
    She had seizures averaging one every couple of months... :-(
    Perhaps they were connected. Oh dear.

    Happy Christbut!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Ooh.....those are my favorite! Happy Solstice!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Here's hoping you have a peaceful shift too. John and a great Christmas to follow xxx

    ReplyDelete
  25. I once had a crazy pup who helped itself to an entire bottle of bubble bath from under the Christmas tree. He got hiccups and every time he hiccuped he spat out a lovely scented bubble. Daft dog, but it did him no harm.

    I think it may depend on the breed of dog as to the toxic effect of chocolate, my Springer Spaniels could only not tolerate imbibed metal. Chocolate, slug covered bread, anything mouldy went down and never returned. Can't cope with Springers anymore, too big and daft.

    Janet

    ReplyDelete
  26. Let's hope you don't get a different type of chocolate gift as a surprise when you get home from your shift!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Our outside dog Fannie, huge Great Pyrenees, can eat an entire dead cow without nary a belch. I'm just sayin'

    ReplyDelete
  28. Sure you meant to include the letter "f" in your last word?

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hope you had a good shift, John. And I hope George is okay.
    Merry Christmas to you all, John. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  30. I was just listening to someone on the radio saying that their dog ate a whole box of chocs from below their Christmas tree; and it cost £700 Vets bills to fix!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Merry Christmas to you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  32. Hi John
    Percy Pug raided the Christmas tree last year ending up with a trip to the vets.
    This resulted in a throwing up session which the veterinary nurse was not chuffed with as the vet let him do it in the consultation room and not in the car park!!

    Off till 27th with lots of Christmas babies to look forward to

    Merry Christmas!
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  33. Last year Molly ate two boxes of chocolates I had forgotten about and it never botthered her, other than her pooping wrappers from the chocolate for a few days.

    Wish Molly was here now, would give her a chocolate or two just to have her here for Christmas {SIGH}.

    Hope last nights shift went by okay?

    Gill

    ReplyDelete
  34. Hope George is all right.

    I don't give the cats chocolate--Phoebe is the only one who complains and only then when i have chocolate ice cream (she LOVES ice cream). so, yes, i have some non-choccie flavour on hand to give her a small taste. And of course, i have to give the other two a small taste, too.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments and will now try very hard to reply to all of them
Please dont be abusive x