The Kitchen


I wasn't expecting to go out tonight, but my sister had a spare ticket for the live cinematic production of the National Theatre's  play The Kitchen.


Written in 1959 and set in 1950's London, the play is set in a horrendously busy restaurant kitchen populated with a whole melting pot of chefs, cooks,kitchen porters,bottle washers, waitresses and support staff from a dozen countries .( including two staff members from Germany)
Of course proximity to "peace in Europe", and a collective hope by the population for a better life, has a big part to play within the snippets of life we glimpse from the 31 strong cast.who weave their individual kitchen roles, relationships and stresses like dancers in a ballet.which is, at times, exhausting to watch.
The play has a great deal to say about the dehumanizing and dream destroying  nature of repetitive and  soul destroying work., and does so with an energy which is impressive, even if most of the actors are seen to be cooking "pretend" dishes for most of the play.


I enjoyed it..It was a real treat

10 comments:

  1. Interesting, I just got in from seeing the same broadcast here in New England. I found it really interesting but a little hard to understand the accents.

    ReplyDelete
  2. small world.... the actor that played peter (peter) was very good....
    dont you think?

    ReplyDelete
  3. isnt that bloody amazing!!!!
    we both saw the same thing at the same time... me in wales You in the US
    SMALL BLOODY WORLD!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, the actor was very good. I thought they all were, even some of the bits. I wish I had known you were also watching, what a fun idea.Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  5. We have many British programs here and they have a very large audiences. For some reason, I am addicted to Doctor Martin. Not quite sure why except it is quirky.

    I will have to look for that play. It is probably being aired on our public broadcast network. We Americans love you Brits and your culture.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am always amazed how you can 'whip up' a review so quickly! You are one talented fella.....anything you can't do John?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks very interesting from the picture. If I saw it I'd probably end up hungry though. Enjoy your weekend!
    Maura :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. With the UK being so food obsessed, I imagine that queues would form wherever it is shown.

    SO is not alone; I rather like Doc Martin too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That actually is a bloody good idea for a frantic, balletic stage-play. I wouldn't mind seeing it myself.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glad you got the chance to see this. Wasn't overly keen myself (all that highly choreographed movement got on my nerves). But a few nice moments.

    My companion got the giggles at the pretend whisking.

    ReplyDelete

I love all comments Except abusive ones from arseholes