Pig Day

Margie chasing me  through the shit
Some days morph into nothingness don't they?
Blink and the day is gone....
and you look at all you have achieved , which is , more often than not, a huge load of nothingness.
On reflection I have been putting my time to good use, but clearing the poo and flotsam out of the pig enclosure, hardly sounds like glamorous or even interesting work.....
The pigs seem to love human contact and this afternoon, they had me all to themselves for over an hour and a half.albeit with hoe,spade and bucket of shit in hand. Margie spend most of the time galloping around  the enclosure in a full blown display of playfulness! Every few minutes she would charge me in an effort to get me to chase her and when I was not looking she would nip the back of my Wellington boots, taking small slivers of rubber off with her 
No 12 is much more laid back and somewhat friendlier
No 12 is a much more placid individual .Despite his impressive size and power..he is clearly a gentle giant of a pig, who is actually more endearing than the prettier Margie (Who is still chewing small mouthfuls of green rubber as we speak)
Everywhere I walked he would slowly follow, quietly amused at my huffing ,puffing and slopping out....he watched EVERYTHING I did with some precision, occasionally tip toeing up to me from time to time to check just how much I had placed inside the bucket before stepping back to his observation spot beneath  the trees
I now stink like an old drain

32 comments:

  1. I can feel a drawing coming on. John, pigs, shit, and nibbled gumboots!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous3:27 pm

    They are great company but a tad mischievious at times. I'm sure they appreciated their newly clean surroundings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd just come in from mucking out our two and found your post!

    Both followed me closely,right behind, so any sharp movement on my part had us swooping like a tango routine, complete with wellies, bucket and tools.

    The water rail family, who regularly check out the bedding for insects, were not amused.
    Father rail - I think - is brooding gloomily in the grass behind the pens.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I'd rather clean a few horse stalls, thank you very much. The ones you can trust to behave if you're in the stall with them do, every once in a while, get inquisitive and pull a muck bucket over, but on the whole, they're happy with a pile of hay in front of them, and move their butts quite happily with a touch and a gentle "over."

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous5:05 pm

    They sound so intelligent...like little kids. Only with teeth. And rubber in them. Doce is right up there in my heart with the ghost hens. What a sweetie.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ahh, the memories of mucking out the livestock. At least no one tempted to mount you - that was the young hiefers' favourite venture.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know nothing about pigs, but I think that I like learning at a distance--like 3,000 miles. (I don't eat them, by the way.)

    ReplyDelete
  8. The stink is probably why he is following you -pig shit = perfume to pigs one presumes. I am sure they are very intelligent animals and they do enjoy human contact.

    ReplyDelete
  9. 'Getting to know you', I'd say!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I used to drive up to Young (our cherry growing 'heartland') and there was a large piggery set back about a mile from the main road and as you drove past you could smell the pong! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for the chuckle, John. Hope you all have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks like love to me John...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Was the wrong pig saved? Just a thought..........

    ReplyDelete
  15. "poo and flotsam" that is a phrase I really must insert into a conversation somehow..........

    ReplyDelete
  16. I don't believe I'll complain about cleaning out the cats' litter box ...

    ReplyDelete
  17. I like Bacon Bit's personality. She is a card :O).

    ReplyDelete
  18. At least the shit you have to deal with is pig and not human.

    Some customers left me a nice present last night when I went to do a bathroom check.

    'Least the pigs can't help it.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I wish you luck. Biting from a pig is scary, and even scarier from a full grown sow! Be careful.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Let's have another name-the-pig contest. You could raise more money, and we could save the gentle giant pig.

    ReplyDelete
  21. It sounds like no. 12 and Constance might make good friends.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Our male animals all seem to have that aloofness, but our females are the ones which get up to mischief! But mucking out the pigs is good for the soul! Great for the garden as well!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hiya, repaying your visit to our Blog :)
    What is it about pigs and wellies, eh?
    Actually, we find the wee smells worse than the poo, but then, with only 4 piggies we generally do a daily poop scoop. Mo

    ReplyDelete
  24. You can make even mucking out pig slop (or whatever it is you do there) and stinking like an old drain sound charming!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I really need to stop eating bacon!

    ReplyDelete
  26. How lovely, I want one!

    ReplyDelete
  27. How are you coming with cart training your pair of pigs? You might need to harness them in-line instead of tandem, since there's a size difference.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I'd seriously be thinking of eating Margie now John instead of number 12.
    Regards,
    John W

    ReplyDelete
  29. Yes i can see the resemblance, he is handsome.

    ReplyDelete

I love all comments Except abusive ones from arseholes