Operation Dog Snot Removal....II

No Thomas, it's not some Welsh modern art........
It's the scum left in the bath after only ONE of the dogs has had their pre visitor bath.
I have too much to do today. Nuala arrives tomorrow for a whistle stop visit and I am working night shift tonight, so as well as the animals to care for I have to work like a Trojan in order to remove the doggy smells and snot stains from 95% of the cottage.
Not the nicest of jobs...but certainly a necessary one!

I have been asked a few times about the condition of the chick that Plank adopted
The chick that survived the fox attack seems to have the lives of a cat.

Plank, the thick buff orpington, looked after the orphan for nearly four days before turning on her charge with a ferocity rare for such a placid hen.
I only realised that something was wrong was when Constance and William parked themselves outside the shed by the back door and refused to move. On closer inspection I found Plank stalking angrily around the shed while the frightened chick hid inside a wellington boot lying on its side.

I had no explanation of just why she had turned so forcefully on the chick, but turn she did, and I am sure that she would have killed it if the chick hadn't found an unexpected place of safety.
And so the chick is back on its own again
She looks alright and now has a small hand mirror for company.....well I figured that if a small mirror is good enough for a budgie it will be good enough for a lonely hen
She's eating well

Right off again to shampoo the dog smell from the carpets.......

18 comments:

  1. Aw poor little chick! I'd never have thought to give it a mirror, I hope it does the trick.

    No 21 is so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  2. John, I'm glad the chick is okay!

    When we were selling our last house, getting rid of dog odors was something that I got to be really really good at--When the house sold and the new owners had no idea we had dogs, I knew I had been a success at it! But boiling sliced oranges and/or lemons and spraying vinegar and water work pretty well...Just a thought...Enjoy your day and your visit with Nuala!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awwwww NO...Bad Plank. Perhaps you could wrap a hot water or one of those wheat bags up in a towel or similar to be a pretend hen!

    PS: Perhaps she read your entry about her being thick and was offended.... Just a thought!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous11:31 am

    That is odd that such a placid no personality hen should suddenly turn vicious on a tiny helpless orphan. Poor little soul.
    Happy cleaning.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Think I would be having chicken stew, think that still waters run deep with that hen! So glad the chick is ok!

    Enjoy your company!

    Hate to tell you this, but ... Tag! You're "IT".

    ReplyDelete
  6. As chicks are not milk feeders, they look after themselves from Day 1. We used to give our orphans soggy bread in water. They soon acclimatise.

    Did you spank Plank?

    ReplyDelete
  7. John the dogs, i get tired simply reading all that you must do today!

    I hope you enjoy your visit with Nuala, get enough of the cleaning done so you feel okay about it, and i do hope you can have some time for R&R.

    Poor chick! Perhaps you ought to call it 'Lucky'.

    megan

    ReplyDelete
  8. Poor little chick, but what a survivor! Naughty Plank, she would go well with Clara our psychotic hen who is broody at the moment and you have to go in well armed with gauntlets and sometimes the spade!!
    Have a lovely weekend.
    Jo xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. For domestic hygiene, with all those dogs around, may I suggest that you rip up all of your carpets and lay down linoleum throughout instead. Dog odours will then be much easier to combat. This advice comes to you free of charge.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glad the chick is okay. That tub looks like mine after we bathe our dogs! =)

    ReplyDelete
  11. John you really are the lovliest, kindest man. I do hope that chick survives - I think the mirror is a great idea - lateral thinking.

    ReplyDelete
  12. My pooch leaves 'eye-bogies' everywhere! Nice.
    I worry now that I'm so used to my dog being with me 24/7 that I might smell like Battersea Dogs Home but folks are too polite to say...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hope she continues to get well.

    The mirror is a great idea!

    Happy weekend to you.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, and I thought it was from washing away the goose-grease that has been giving sticky Rs. Silly me.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Poor little chick! WIsh I could give her a cuddle. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Shampooing the carpet..

    My friend is adamant that dogs are basically filthy and ought to be kept outside - she will say, who else would you let in your house, on your sofa (or worse, your bed) with smelly dirty feet and hair covered in fleas, licking their arse... She is right I think, but then again, some people are pretty disgusting too.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Aw hens! such sweet creatures but such vindictive ones as well! Hope the little chick survives, and God bless the wellington refuge!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Anonymous5:59 am

    Were Constance and William trying to get you to save her? I LOVE those two!! Dog snot and slobber and eye slime and all! Well worth cleaning up after, I must say.
    Perhaps it took Plank four days to realize she had a chick under her wing? :-)

    ReplyDelete

I love all comments Except abusive ones from arseholes