Flower Show Concerns

I'm  a little worried.
No.... the goat has not escaped (oh by the way, I am planning to extend his paddock already as the old pig enclosure is far too small and he is obviously not pleased )
and No...... I have not had a result from my recent chest xray as yet!


I am in fact worried about this year's flower show.
The population of the village does not come to more than a few hundred souls and yet every year we have around three hundred entries for the flower, produce , arts and crafts and cookery ....we are usually wonderfully supported, especially by the elders of the village, but there comes a time when ill health and fatigue lays low even the most robust of Welsh Septuagenarians oh and the odd group of octogenarians!


Through illness and trauma two of our biggest contributors may not be taking part this year and at last night's Flower Show meeting we were all racking our brains to come up with a new strategy of enrolling an increasingly apathetic general public.


Bribery was discussed......Human interest stories were bandied around (after all, the press loves a Sue-Bo character like auntie Glad who has been on the committee for a staggering 60 years) and in the end we decided that a saturation bombing strategy of flyers, posters,press releases and general low level bullying may be the order of the day.
Mrs Parry sweeping the board with her baking entries last year


Sometimes the community needs to be reminded just how easy it can be to lose an event like the Flower Show, once a few key players it in disappear from view...so I will say right now
"Listen here any Trelawnyd readers.......get off your arses and think long and hard about entering as many soddin' categories in the village show that is humanly possible
See the schedule at http://trelawnydflowershow.blogspot.com/


You'll be making a old fart like me very happy
Hey Ho!

14 comments:

  1. If I lived there, I would so enter a few items in the show! Would be fun!

    I missed you had to get Xrays, I hope everything is okay there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello John:
    Alas, if only we were nearer, then we should sweep in with pots of jam, chutneys, Victoria sponges, floral arrangements, and anything else the schedule permits. As it happens we have none of these things, nor the capability to produce them. Would your judges detect shop bought?

    ReplyDelete
  3. the judge would detect the wrong location of a strawberry believe me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I once won the 'garden in a saucer' (aged 6). What about having a find an anagram for 'my goat's a bit of a tearaway' competition. You could accept postal entries. Maybe thousands!

    ReplyDelete
  5. cro I will accept a postal entry believe me!!!

    what would you like to do!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous2:25 pm

    Hope it works out for you. So many years ago as a grade school student I entered muffins in the fall fair competition. Dad warned me that the same people win every year and that it wouldn't be any different...he was right...still, it was fun to go and find my entry with a little bit taken out of it for tasting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. 2 comments:
    First-I do so hope everything comes out. I seem to remember you blogged once about how you get so worried about your Open Allotment day and it always turns out FAB, so hopefully the case will be the same here!!

    Second comment is actually a request I have been meaning to find a good place to post. In your blog posts about the Flower show you mention the Flower Art but don't show many photos. I would love to see more examples/photos of this ad I cannot figure out is it art made with flowers/veg or is it artwork of a nature subject? No worries though, John.
    meggs.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Given the success you've had with research for your sister blog, why not plan to put up a displays of old photos and some of your stories.
    Perhaps each entrant could have their own display board? Just a thought...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Low leveling bullying might be the ticket. Guilt trips usually work - at least among women.

    Sounds like a lovely affair. I cannot imagine people not being motivated to participate in such an event. Are the townspeople going through a depression, maybe giving out some meds may help.

    ReplyDelete
  10. jac
    will be doing this at the open allotment day!
    megs
    will point you to my sister's flower show...the floral art is much better than ours!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have seen the best results when the event is bandied about as a really fun thing to do. No one wants to miss a good time.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes, a good spreading of fliers and the like should do it. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That's it....wring their necks if they don't buck up....noo...just smile and encourage.!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love fairs, festivals and fetes; they are the backbone of any small community and you're so right. When they are gone, it will be too late for non-supporters to whine. The time to get involved is now.

    ReplyDelete

I love all comments Except abusive ones from arseholes