St Michael's


We went out for lunch and had a nice walk along a near deserted beach today.Chris decided to do all of the cooking this evening so I took the welcome break from the kitchen sink and went to conscript more grey hairs for the village blog. I didn't have to look far; as when I had my head in the turkey coop affable despot Dorothy bellowed over the graveyard fence at me "When are you coming to see me?"
I dutifully booked her particular slot, then added octogenarian Hubert Evans and Daphne who lived in the village rectory in the 1940s.By next week I would have interviewed ten people.

Daphne gave me a key to the Church so that I could photograph the Easter lilies, and although I am in no way religious, I do find the silence and peace of the empty Church particularly soothing .
St Michael's has a country-like simplicity about it. It is, in essence just a plain rectangle with windows on three sides. It is dark but not gloomy. The atmosphere is still, but not musty and there is a warmth about the whole place which is strangely healing.Perhaps it will help my wheezy chest? I have been coughing like an old asthmatic for weeks now
Perhaps I have seen Black Narcissus too many times....

9 comments:

  1. Anonymous4:36 pm

    Dark and still and warm...sounds very peaceful and relaxing; a place to sit and think and reflect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a lovely piece of stained glass, the Easter Lillies just beautiful.
    Peaceful...sounds like my kind of place.
    ~Jo
    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello:

    St. Michael's Church does, as you say,look to have a serenity and simplicity which can be a very welcome refuge from the trials of life at times. The white Lilies are lovely and will, no doubt, have perfumed the entire church.

    We are delighted that you have become a Follower of our blog, through which we have now found you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes the peace and quiet of the church is the perfect time for relaxing reflections. Love the lilies.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful windows, John.
    Hope you get well soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful windows and flowers!

    Have you had your chest problem checked out? That's a long time to be coughing! I hope you get better soon!

    ReplyDelete

I love all comments Except abusive ones from arseholes