Get on your Bus........... Welsh's a strange language.......and thumbs up for an old queen

The weather  again is unseasonably warm..... coupled with the fact it's Easter weekend, the roads have been full of sweaty families and their sweaty 'orrible kids off on  quality afternoons out.
Sixty years ago there were few privately owned cars in the village. On sunny ,dusty afternoons like the one we are having today, the village children played by the side of the road, content in the knowledge that they were not going to be mashed into spaghetti bolognese by a speeding nissan micra.....
somedays( when I don't need the car to pop over to work  or to pick up 60 kilos of chicken food)...I have the fantasy that no one has a private car and everyone is smiling and are wearing smart hats when they get on the vintage bus for their weekly jaunt to town.
My Brother-in-law's Pièce de résistance-The Prestatyn Vintage Car Show
complete with Miss Marple Bus
See my sister's informative blog entry describing the annual Car Show

Now in bygone times the public transport system here in Wales was considerably better than it is today.
Buses looped every hour  from the country villages down to the heady metropolis of Rhyl and I loved the anecdote from Pat Bagguley who giggled when she told me that her mother would always advocate a 1.30 pm bus to Rhyl as the 2.30 bus was always filthy after it had dropped off its dirty cargo of miners from the local Point of Ayr coal mine after their morning shift.

The sign states
Nid DA but gellir GWELL

Anyhow I will leave you with a bit of a conundrum
On my quest for personal histories of the village community I was given a wartime (?) photo of some Trelawnyd lovelies posing under a sign. I have been told that the photo was taken in the memorial Hall ( can anyone confirm this?)
Anyhow I was intrigued by the sign itself and after a bit of googling I worked out that a rough translation
is as follows "NOT....GOOD...BUT EVEN BETTER"
I checked this with my "Welsh advisor" Kit Hopkins this afternoon who confirmed my thoughts.....
"It sounds odd" she explained " but that's Welsh for you......It IS odd!.......the statement actually means "always strive to do better !"

Hey ho
and finally..........it makes a real change for a self obsessed old queen not to take themselves all too seriously...
Edward Reid.......manages very well don't you think? funny and rather clever

7 comments:

  1. just to let everyone who posted I have been deleting spam comments and deleted the wrong ones
    apologiesx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad I hadn't left one yet then!

    Edward Reid was really surprising. I didn't realise he was singing Old McDonald's farm at first; it was great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed Edward very much too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. John I am so impressed with your regular blogging . Do you schedule it or are you just the obsessive sort ? Makes no diff as you always make me laugh unless you make me cry.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That 'talent' show throws up some strange acts. I actually saw Mr Reid.... very funny. The problem will be what to do next!

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG! Thank you for this John!

    Dear BBC,
    Please get rid of Graham Norton (yuk) and put Edward in his place!
    Thank you.

    meggs.

    ps John, love the photo of the bus and I too would very much welcome less traffic!

    ReplyDelete

I love all comments Except abusive ones from arseholes