Violence and sex

Its spring
and the testosterone is flying.
As usual the few males that inhabit the field are turning their heads towards sex and like drunken yobs that seem to frequent all of our towns, cities and villagers nowadays, the drakes and turkeys are turning to thuggery to get what they want.
As the local builder and odd job man  fixed our broken chimney (at a very reasonable rate I might add), I diverted myself from not being able to venture up his ladder to survey the work (I felt like a real old queen when I told him I was too frightened) and spent an hour or so bolting my small polytunnel to mother earth

small but beautifully formed
When my back was turned, petty rivalries and male posturing within the turkey ranks boiled over and Bingley the Bourbon red stag, escaped his enclosure and set upon the more timid and older Boris with Jane and Lizzy (his females) getting stuck in like two drunken slags on the Jeremy Kyle show.
This "pack" behaviour of "getting stuck in" seems to be a rather unpalatable feature of turkey society  and as usual it it the weakest ( in this case the gentle white females- Gloria and Theresa) that got caught in the crossfire and bore the brunt of the attack.

By the time I heard the cries of the injured, it was all but over.....The evil eyed Lizzy had pulled away (probably saying in turkey language "Leave him Bingley he's not worth it"!" with Jane in tow, but both females couldn't quite resist a final barrage of pecks (this time at a passing and totally innocent buff orphington)...precipitating my Sigourney Weaver-ish shout of "get away from her you Bitches!"....hummm very theatrical!

I found Boris hiding in the turkey house ruffled but otherwise ok....but Gloria had been pecked and clawed nastily and repeatedly on her back and wing and Theresa had a wound on her neck.

I shut Bingley away ( resolving myself to sell him and his bitches at the first opportunity-and smiled grimly that the money will go towards a goat!) as  I treated the wounded with some purple antibacterial spray.
Gloria and Theresa after the attack

Now all is peaceful and the female turkeys are mixing as though nothing had happened. Bingley is back in his enclosure and the hole in the fencing repaired. Despite having their beaks clipped, turkeys can inflict some damage when they have a mind to............The three trouble shooters will be going...the "for sale" poster has already been drafted......................

29 comments:

  1. Ahhh! The smell of spring is on the air! Lol!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good Lord, it's all going on in Wales isn't it. I know it's a typo, but I did like the comment about drunken yobs inhabiting the villagers!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you are getting rid of the nasty turkeys. I like that poly tunnel. You are getting a good head start on the Spring work. As for the goat: if you have a choice, try and buy a goat that was bottle fed as a kid. Or you can buy a kid and bottle feed it yourself. It will be people oriented (you will be mom) and it will be much easier to handle than a goat that was raised on its mother. Horns? Goats like to butt and I speak from experience getting hit by a goat with horns can send you to the hospital. We left horns on goats that were going to be free ranging and would have to fight off predators, but not on our milking does. Have fun, John... goats are like big dogs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am always struck how the countryside is dominated by sex and violence (in between a desperate hunt to find enough food to stay alive) - it's not all pastoral symphony, eh? I thought that when you said you were going to 'put up your poly-tunnel' that you were talking in euphemism, but now I see you really meant it. Very handsome.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Makes me think I should get a poly tunnel, John.
    And I would definitely sell or eat the trouble makers.
    Have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Maybe a box of Paxo, strategically placed may calm them down John !

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a vivid description, I loved the 'Leave it Bingley, it's not worth it'. I'm glad you're getting rid of the thugs.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am always amazed at the violence animals will inflict on one another. It seems to be particularly true in the poultry world. Glad you were able to get to them before the injuries became fatal. Love the poly tunnel! I stare longingly at the grass and plants in your pictures. Everything here is a study in black and white. maybe I should start some seedlings. Kate

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes!!! I am so anxious to hear of your goat stories!!!!! Seriously, you can write such entertaining stories about your personalities of your flock...just wait till you experience a goat. I simply cannot wait!! If I lived close by I would give you a couple just to know they had a wonderful home and the Best Keeper possible. Sell those buggers and get on with that idea!! I LOVE IT!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Now, that really sounds like a plan that may actually happen, I hope so, at least! Poor Gloria and Theresa, and Boris too, of course!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mother Nature is certainly no shriking violet (as we are witnessing in Japan right now).
    They are starting to put up the poly-tunnels at our garden centres...Spring must be just around the corner!
    A goat! now that sounds exciting...but only if you follow Callie's advice!

    ReplyDelete
  12. There are always going to be 'bullies' that have to be 'dealt' with.
    Goats. Another 'chapter' to start soon.....should be exciting and entertaining!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Poor week turkeys! But the purple is very becoming.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sounds like a typical night at a bar here in Pittsburgh

    ReplyDelete
  15. Good heavens, it sounds like a bar fight with everyone jumping in.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What do you mean by the females getting 'stuck in'? Do the agressive males pick on them as well? Or is it the hens of the more dominant male that pick on the other females.

    Stupid turkeys.

    I like goats. They are hysterically funny but notoriously hard to keep fenced in so make sure your place is secure before bringing one(or two) home...

    ReplyDelete
  17. Some of the new housing developments that were built in previously open areas are now being invaded by native gangs of wild turkeys that tear up yards (tsk tsk) and beat up dogs. People are afraid of them. I wonder of getting rid of the aggressive ones you have will work, or if the ones that are now timid will take on a more aggressive demeanor?

    You haven't really experienced the true meaning of annoying until you've had a goat. But you'll probably need to find that out for yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Poor turkey ladies. I'm glad that they are all right. Good idea to sell the mean ones.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Lol! There is a lot of chasing, protesting and mating going on among the mallards on the lake near us at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  20. All the Tom Cats are on the prowl too. Despite keeping my oliver inside, some testosterone-loaded Tom leaves his calling card scent on the porch furniture each evening.
    Sod.
    I have been on the receiving end of a turkey attack, they can be vicious buggers.
    Loving that poly tunnel !
    ~Jo

    ReplyDelete
  21. You think you've got problems - max, my puppy is trying to mount the chicken!!
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  22. That's too bad John...poor old Boris and the girls. I don't blame you for wanting to get rid of the bullies. I hope you get a goat...we're thinking of getting a few one day but for now we're still cleaning up the farm from previous owners. Fences will be the last to be fixed I'm sure. Hope you're having a good weekend.
    Maura :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. I wish you'd write a book. xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  24. Good heavens! Your animal/bird park is more dramatic than "EastEnders". I wonder how the script of "TrelawnydEnders" will develop next week. Turkeys brawling in the Vic. Rescue hens ransacking Kathy's Cafe. Bearded male nurse flouncing up Bridge Street...

    ReplyDelete
  25. Goats!! .. um, you're going to need two goats John. Because they will go looking for their fellows if you have just one. Two means they'll tend to stay put rather than find every single way out of the yard. Or at least it will slow them down on getting out of the yard. I raised goats for 13 years, and it was always fun to see what their creative little minds came up with next.

    Thank god they don't come with thumbs. ;) LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  26. great poly tunnel, everything still covered in snow in my neck of the woods.....

    Gill in Canada

    ReplyDelete
  27. If you do get goats, go for Golden Guernseys. Most civilised of the larger breeds. On no account think about getting pygmy goats - Shetland pony attitude with added loopiness.

    ReplyDelete

I love all comments Except abusive ones from arseholes