Historic Trelawnyd

The Churchyard used to be surrounded by trees and strangely a low stone wall ( much lower than it is today)
This photograph was probably taken from where the houses now are on London Road

A similar shot from Cwm Road....sans trees

The Mostyn Arms pub ,cottages and a shop have  been demolished to make way for the pensioner bungalows
The Memorial Hall is on the right

The pensioner bungalows and the "green"

On old shot of the memorial Hall ( with its original dome!) The rather neat looking house on the right has now gone to wrack and ruin

The memorial Hall today,still going Strong

High street with the imposing Plas Yn Dre house built by John Wynne in the 1600's
Bonc terrace is on the left of the house which used to be a private school
Bonc terrace is now a car park although the cottage gardens ( now allotments) still remain

Plas Yn Dre yesterday

One of the old cottages on London Road

Today four cottages knocked into one house
I thought I would blog these photos that were given to me by neighbour Pat. I have been after some historic photos of the village in bygone days and will publish some more when I get a chance to scan them.
Working last night and the monitor alarms have given me a banging headache.... as I type this William is sitting behind me on the sofa..licking my forehead with a cold tongue
who needs paracetamol

15 comments:

  1. Loved viewing the old photos and doing comparisons to Trelawnyd of today. Funny, I was just taking a brouse down the streets of your town on mapquest a half hour ago!

    Sweet William. I hope he calmed your headache. Hootie is a big licker too...in fact, we think he might be a bit OCD with his licking!! Good night friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely stuff - we must not allow these aspects of our heritage to disappear. Must see what old pics our local historicl society has available.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Things rarely improve, don't they? (I'm proud to say that I have - once again - stopped myself from making bad jokes about 'Mostyn' {"What do you call a man with..." etc.} AND 'Bonc Terrace').

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love these John - Ive found some more of our village too. Love the lady in the doorway. Did you miss my semi naked Mr Darcy? xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. A lovely little village.
    I miss living in a village, walking from shop to shop with my shopping basket on my arm.
    I love the view of the church with the stone wall, something so serene and grounding about it.
    Thanks for sharing, lovely.
    ~Jo

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really enjoyed this post. I love to see how things have changed over the years. (not saying good or bad, just change)

    Lovely village. I miss village life.

    ReplyDelete
  7. William knew you needed some comforting, John. Better than drugs!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I much prefer the old over the new, but I am not living there.

    I hope you are getting some sleep!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a wonderful village, full of history!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Got to love animals. They know when you don't feel well.

    Thanks for sharing that bit of history, John. Love the comparison photos. Thanks for those!

    Hope you all have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That was really interesting! I think that the church yard could do with some trees again. The tower without its dome looks a little bit like a wanna-be light house. Interesting topic!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous5:15 pm

    How fascinating John! It's amazing to me to see a building from the 1600's still standing strong and firm. The oldest things we have around here are old mine shafts now crumbling. (Latter 1800's.) Great labor of love on your part--before and after shots. Keep 'em coming! Thanks.
    Dia

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wonderful William, but I'm getting a crick in my neck trying to figure out how he's licking your forehead from behind you!

    I love the vintage photos. I really enjoyed my visit to Wales oh, so many years ago!!

    Nancy in Iowa

    ReplyDelete
  14. thanks all.....
    trust pud and Tom to venture back into schoolboy humour!......
    (given to you both on a plate!!!
    x

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love photo's like these John where you see the the past and the present. Keep them coming please! It's such a lovely village.
    Maura :)

    ReplyDelete

I love all comments Except abusive ones from arseholes