Praise for Jesus

Minutes before I left for work last night there was a knock at the door.
It was a  lady who had come to the field a week or two ago to buy hens at point of lay. I had sent her up another hen breeder to purchase her new hens , but before she went on her way discussed that she may want to have a cockerel at some stage to keep her hens happy and together.
Last night she came around to see if I had a "spare" cockerel that she may have and without hesitation I offered her Jesus.
Jesus was abandoned on the field by some anonymous soul two Christmases ago.
He was a frightened adolescent cockerel , with little confidence and a nasty dose of scaly leg mite, but even though I already had too many cockerels I sort of had a soft spot for the sad looking unwanted male, who had been thrown out like the Christmas wrapping paper on Boxing day!...
so I kept him
His legs were treated on a daily basis and after a difficult period of bullying by the resident Cockerel , Stanley,, Jesus has spent the past year in his own little run away from fighting beaks and rampant sex.....and so I was chuffed that I had eventually found him his own home, with his own garden and his own goo goo eyed harem.

Right, coffee has been drunk! and I can now face the day without any sleep...off to bath the dogs

29 comments:

  1. Jesus the Cock... mighty fine! No Valentine flowers or wooing strategies for that lad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is the best Valentine Story I have read!

    Hurray for Jesus!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ah i am so glad you kept that poor little thing. how disgusting that someone would abandon him! i hope his new home will be good for him and he will be happy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. He'll think all his Christmases have come at once!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your own personal Jesus. xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well good to know Jesus has found his own bevy of ladies to impress!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are amazing John. I'm the only person I know who has rescued chickens! Well done and thank goodness this handsome lad will have his own ladies to please. Greetings from Jo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a handsome devil, your Jesus. GLad he has found a home where he can finally get it on with some girls! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well Jesus will have his birthday, christmas and valentines all wrapped up in one package. Go strut your stuff Jesus.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glad to hear that you found Jesus!

    Wishing him all the best with his new... err.. followers.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hooray for Jesus....the lucky devil!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yay for Jesus. He's going to have a very Happy Valentine's Day, for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  13. A much better ending than the soup kettle, at least from his prospective! :) It is funny how some roos will go with the flow and some just can't handle any competition.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sounds like he's going to be a happy guy.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a lovely, happy ending!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Congratulations on finding a home for your rescue! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. A happy ever after for Jesus! Hurrah!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Good for him! Hope he likes his lady friends :)
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  19. Very handsome! I hope he's happy at his new home.

    megan

    ReplyDelete
  20. Awww, Prasie for Jesus!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm so happy for Jesus!!!

    Nancy in Iowa

    ReplyDelete
  22. Anonymous12:09 am

    Well done Jesus! I once had someone give me some fighting cocks that were destined for the axe. Of course they tried to kill my rooster so I had to have a separate area for them. But you've sent on a rooster who is now going to come into his own! WooHoo!

    ReplyDelete
  23. That's really nice, Jesus has a home now and his own girls - how lucky could one guy be?

    ReplyDelete
  24. Well, that is awesome John! It isn't often something good drops in your lap especially with finding homes for roosters that you know are going for an actual job and not dinner! I have a couploe hens that has scaly mites and it's a nasty thing. I'm afraid I may have let it go too long and they won't survive. Here's praying to "Jesus" they do.

    ReplyDelete
  25. now, that's a darned good story is jesus has grown up to be quite handsome!

    ReplyDelete
  26. What a great story! I'm glad you saved that little Jesus. Love when people are kind to animals : )

    ReplyDelete
  27. He looks very regal John. Does he get that from you?

    ReplyDelete

I love all comments Except abusive ones from arseholes