The Big Sky,Spring Jobs and Kit Hopkins' slippers!

Local County Councils do come in for a bit of ear bashing from time to time, but I must admit that out own   (Flintshire Council) is pretty good when something needs sorting out. We have two street lights in our lane,and both are attached to telephone poles. Recently both have not been working, and over the past few weeks, (before they were unfortunately fixed this morning), I have absolutely LOVED walking the dogs down the lane in the darkness. Without that harsh, yellow neon glow, suddenly the vague night sky had been transformed from a blank backdrop into something out of a sci fi movie and every evening I have stopped quietly by the sheep field gates soaking in the cold black beautiful big sky of the night.


If I had  my way, I would switch off the village street lights after 11pm......


William and Meg
The day has been sunny and springlike and for the first time this year, the dogs have joined me on the field from 8am as I worked away cleaning the coops and tidying the carnage caused by the awful winter weather.Meg and William still cannot be left to free range with the poultry, their pure terrier instincts are too ingrained and strong to prevent a massacre, but George and Constance can be left to their own devices. George remains a terrible egg stealer and potters away checking each coop in turn for any spare eggs to eat whereas Constance remains rather non plussed with the whole chicken thing
There was once minor "stand off" when the Geese stood their ground between me and her ( below) but apart from that, peace reigned for the most part.
Bulldog versus  geese
As I tidied up the compost bins,cleared dead wood, fixed fencing and disinfected coops, Constance ambled around the field very slowly checking on each pen and enclosure in turn.
For a city dog, she remained very calm and composed as she did her rounds, peering intently inside each hen house with her little piggy eyes before plonking herself in the centre of the field, where she watched the morning pass her by in the warmth of the sun.
Constance in thoughtful mode
By a late lunchtime, I had all but finished, so took the opportunity to deliver eggs . On my rounds I was stopped by Mrs Hopkins ( you my recall she was the lady that knitted my winter mittens), she called me into her bungalow to try on a pair of hand kitted slippers she had made for me, and like Cinderella they fitted perfectly!
Now don't be fooled by the slightly "pixie" and schizophrenic look of these individualised pieces of footwear ( I especially love the little pom poms) they ARE totally the most comfortable house slippers I have EVER owned......I wonder what's next? knitted underpants?

28 comments:

  1. Your grass is green already! I can't wait to see green here.
    Mrs Hopkins seems to have adopted you :O), that is so sweet. A friend years ago gave me a pair of knit slippers and I agree they were so comfortable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you should have her knit Chris up a matching pair for next Christmas!

    ;-)

    I can't believe it: Constance the Livestock Guardian Dog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have street lights in our village and one lights up our bedroom - horrible. We persuaded some electricity workers who were working nearby to take the bulb out!! Blissful darkness! Not for very long though, other villagers wished for urban light.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE your field John...you take wonderful pictures. I bet the animals are loving the sunny warm weather as much as you are. Wasn't that nice of your neighbour to make you those slippers...they look warm and toasty! What a nice feeling to know that you're thought of and appreciated. I know what you mean about the lights...when we moved to our little farm (in the middle of no-where) we had no farm light in the yard and it was wonderful being able to see the stars. We now have a telephone pole with a light that comes on at night near the garage...BUT...my smart hubby put a switch on it so that if we want to sit outside and watch the stars we can. Enjoy your toasty toes!
    Maura :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The neighbor behind us has a security light at the corner of their property and it shines into our bedroom windows on the SW side. The neighbor down the road has a light at each end of their driveway. Nothing like light pollution. I like pitch black for star gazing and sleeping! I mean seriously, why show thieves the way? Their flashlight would be much easier to spot than them lurking in a shadow.

    Has Mrs Hopkins taken a shine to you? Did she make any for Chris? Maybe she's working up to a sweater?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the slippers - she sounds a lovely lady. I used to have geese but one morning they killed a dear little white bantam hen. They were a pair so I gave them away to a farmer friend who breeds geese and they are happily living there well away from bantams.

    Hugs and kisses to that Constance.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Forgot to say I entirely agree about street lights. We have none on our lane and you are only on it for a short time before your eyes adjust to the dark and you can see. There is so much money wasted on unnecessary street lighting.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, those are handsome slippers! I'm glad that they feel as comfortable as they look.

    I have a streetlight outside of my house. I had to complain to the county because it was disturbing my sleep. They now have some kind of angled light in it that, while still bright, at least doesn't shine directly into the window. Apparently, around here, they have to do something if you complain. Light disturbance is considered as much of a problem as noise disturbance.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I LOVE the slippers! They look so cosy.

    Thanks for showing such lovely outside pix. Nice to see green grass. We've still got 3 feet of snow covering ours; at the earliest, it'll be well into next month before i glimpse the stuff known as grass.

    megan

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your field, and your chickens and dogs. I know what you mean about the street lights. They're often the same here.

    And I love your slippers! I wish I had been smarter when I was younger and had my Granny teach me to knit.

    Have a wonderful day! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. John, those slippers are something to behold. Very lucky boy, you are.

    Constance is just such a beauty. I love the loving way you talk/write about her.

    And I agree on the street lights. Our neighbors -- who are much too close -- insist on lighting their hideous driveway and the side of the garage with this obnoxious light almost every night. On the odd occasion that they forget to put it on, it is so much nicer outside under the night sky.

    Would it change your opinion of me if I confessed that whenever they go out of town (which, sadly, is rare), we sneak over and loosen the light bulb? Being rather dim bulbs themselves, it takes them weeks to catch on and then weeks more to actually replace it. HaHa!

    Tell no one.

    ReplyDelete
  12. bel,
    I will get kit to knit u a pair!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh those slippers are delightful! Thise would make me smile everytime I put them on. How sweet of her.

    Constance is so lovely. I love the shot of her ambling through the field.

    Maybe a little BB gun mishap could solve the Not so Night Sky friendly street lights.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think you should ask Mrs Hopkins to sew a little bell onto the toe of each slipper.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Complain to Flintshire council about light pollution. Mid Wales is a haven for many astronomers, and they have started to get a bit of clout, I think. Speak to the company, 'Dark Star', and they might help - if you pretend you use a telescope..

    Nice socks.

    ReplyDelete
  16. tom
    twat!
    at least they are clean
    .....ish

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh my goodness John, I was intrigued with all your thoughts and words and then I saw the slippers and lost all train of thought...oh my, they look! RADIANT!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Isn't it grand when the sun shines !
    I'm through with work for the week, I'm planning lots of cleaning up around the garden for the remainder, it's been a long time since we reached 68 degrees.
    Constance, she never ceases to amaze me, a gentle soul.
    What a thoughtful gift those slippers, they do look a little Aladdin-like, I love the pom-poms :)
    ~Jo

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your yard looks so beautiful...as our snow is trying to melt. I look forward to seeing grass.

    I would not mind a pair of slippers like yours! Comfort!

    Yep, bright lights can ruin the moment.

    Have a good week with those beautiful pups and the rest of your critters.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I got a book on how to knit today.

    Aslo - got two duck eggs this morning! Marvelous!

    ReplyDelete
  21. congrats.... I knew my girls would produce for you dan
    stick the eggs under a broody in late spring!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I wish we could do some spring clean up in our yard! Everything is frozen....solid!
    I think I am falling in love....not with those slippers!!! but, Constance!

    ReplyDelete
  23. No street lights here. Heck, we barely have streets!
    Love the slippers. One could never be in a bad mood in those slippers.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Did you ever hear the one about Hell freezing over?

    ReplyDelete
  25. Just to say John that I have indeed managed to get you on my side bar - I think you were probably there all the time and I just didn't see you.

    Hugs to that Constance.

    ReplyDelete
  26. What a great flock guardian Constance is! And those slippers are adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  27. my granny made the best knitted slippers. Always with a pom-pom. I have a pair she made for my daughter when she was born 13 years ago, she made them just before she passed. I keep them wrapped in plastic and I swear, when I get sad and open the baggie barely, I can still smell the comforting smell of granny.
    Thanks for waking up the memory.

    ReplyDelete

I love all comments Except abusive ones from arseholes