Ydych chi'n teimlo'n well?

I slept long deeply last night and woke up blurry eyed with Meg practically sellotaped to my chest at 8am.
I feel a lot better today, slightly washed out but miles better and as I was returning to the cottage one old chap I know from the village stopped to ask me "Ydych chi'n teimlo'n well?" which is one of the few Welsh phrases I actually remember from my time at school...........He kindly asked me if I was feeling better.

Many of the older residents of the village still speak Welsh fluently, which I think is pretty normal for a rural Flintshire village. Generally given our proximity to the English border, the general percentages I guess are much lower than in the rural villages in the counties further West such as  Conwy and ,Gwynedd where up to 80% use Welsh as a first language.In intensive care where I work, out of a staff of around 60 (including 10 Filipino staff) around 12 speak Welsh fluently

The Welsh Assembly takes the survival of the Welsh language very seriously.....every official document, government leaflet and NHS circular has to duplicated, one version in English and the other in Welsh, which is of course, politically correct but also a terrible waste of resources and money..... sometimes the need to be seen to be fair goes a little too far......
I would like to refresh my Welsh just a little, even though it has been over 30 years since I could last hold a perfunctory conversation in fourth form. Alan,one of the nice chaps that helps out with the flower show is originally from Poland and I was impressed with the efforts he made with all of the older visitors to the show when he dropped in little phrases of Welsh chit chat here and there.
Sometimes all it takes is a little more effort to keep the basics going

But things generally are changing. Welsh as a language is dying out in Trelawnyd . Apparently the Male Voice  choir  has and handful of non Welsh speakers in their line up now, and the congregation in the totally Welsh chapel is down to a tiny trickle...... its a long long way from the turn of the century , when the school children at the village school were actively punished for speaking Welsh in front of their teachers

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Today Chris' father arrives from Kent for a visit. He is always an easy guest and will, I know, adore Frankie who has now completely settled into our routine in the cottage.
 
So I am just about to sort the cottage out for our guest, but I will leave you with a little observation I made this morning which related to the four remaining ghost hens.
Months ago these little shells of birds arrived on the field. They could not walk properly, they had never seen the sun before, they were mute, cowed, and sad looking animals without any personality and spark.
I stood and watched four very different animals this morning when I opened their coop. Four confident birds greeted the rain and gales. Alert and interested they bickered with each other like normal hens and bullied the three new Wellsomers as they fought over the best bits of corn .
I allowed myself a whole minute of pride when I watched them
My babies have grown up

25 comments:

  1. oooh! Can you write out how that Welsh sentence is pronounced? Never sounds like it looks, does it? I love the photograph of the Ghost Hen looking so confident on her front porch. Happy girls.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have contacted my friend regards bull dogs and she will be in touch.
    Glad you are feeling better now.
    Briony

    ReplyDelete
  3. UR- DUR-CH CHEEN TIE LOW'N WE ESH

    THATS the best I can do!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's as bad as over here in Canada, where English and French are the languages of choice. Of course unless you are in Quebec and a few smaller places English is the first language, but the Government insists we have both English and French on everything we buy. Total waste of money I agree.

    Gill in a bilingual Canada

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was just reading over your past few days entries and have decided I need to get a bulldog, as she would so fit in well in this house. However I don't think dh will go for it......she is a little beauty.

    How are the other dogs taking to her?

    Gill

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gill
    George has had a few spats with her, ( just reinforcing that she is now bottom dog)

    Meg and William just take no notice!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Isn't it wonderful when everything falls into place? Frankie, the birds...

    Delightful post...I would love to speak Welsh, it fascinates me. I hope it is not lost.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good Morning John..well at least it's morning here. I think it's wonderful that the village still has people speaking the old language...I hope there are lesson's given for the younger generations that would like to learn it as well. Your chickens look wonderful and you can be proud of yourself that you gave them a good life. Enjoy your visitor! Maura :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Coming from French heritage and ancestors who left that heritage behind, I have always regretted that the language was lost very quickly. I think it is vital to a culture to preserve the heritage of ALL its peoples....no matter what the cost. There's a lot of waste in the government on things that are ridiculous and frivolous. Culture should not be one of these. So there!
    Yeah for the Ghost Hens!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your posts John - you serve up a lovely slice of life everyday. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's wonderful that you have rescued those Ghost Hens John...you must be proud of your girls!

    ReplyDelete
  12. John, how interesting about the Welsh language. I would love to hear them. I hope it doesn't die away. So many things do in this world today and I so strongly desire heritage and old ways of doing.
    You are to be commended on the ghost chickens. How fortunate they were to have you. Enjoy your visitor :)
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely to hear about the ghost hens - good for you! You are right to feel proud.

    ReplyDelete
  14. John - do you fancy a visit to France - click on the link.
    I know what you mean about the Welsh Language. As I grew up in Llandudno, people always thought we came from liverpool - we seemed to have a more scouse accent than a welsh accent!! I can still count to 10 and say the longest name - llanfair pg. that's about it.
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  15. Such a shame that Welsh is fading from your town. Though Mom's only fluent(really??) in English she knows dabs of Polish(GramMom speaks it) and Russian...little French and less German.Poor pinkie had the will to learn, but apparently not the brains. Now that her memory is hideous she can't even hold on to many English words. Phooey. Glad Meg is there to give you deep heat on your chest! BOL!!
    Smooches from pooches,
    BabyRocketDog & Hootie

    SO sorry you've been under the weather. Sending you warm hugs from Phoenix today. Will be back in the snowy NorthWest on Saturday. xx-c

    ReplyDelete
  16. Pleased to hear you are feeling better John xx I loved your last sentence "my babies have grown up"♥♥ So pleased to hear Frankie has settled in so well, I thought you were changing her name to Constance, did I miss something? Linda xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Good to hear you are feeling better! Try not to do too much right away... that's my failing and then I get sick again. Sounds like Frankie is happy at the bottom of the pecking order and that all is well on that front. Amazing the change in the ghost hens you have brought about! Welsh is a language that I always associate with fairy tales and legends. I envy those who can read and speak other languages.

    ReplyDelete
  18. To help IsobelleGoLightly:

    The Welsh alphabet (Yr Wyddor Gymraeg)

    A a B b C c Ch ch D d Dd dd E e F f Ff ff G g
    a bi ec èch di èdd e èf èff èg
    Ng ng H h I i L l Ll ll M m N n O o P p
    èng aets i èl èll em èn o pi
    Ph ph R r Rh rh S s T t Th th U u W w Y y
    ffi/yff èr rhi ès ti èth u w y

    Good morning Bore da
    Good afternoon P'nawn da, Prynhawn da
    Good evening Noswaith dda
    Good night Nos da

    ReplyDelete
  19. John, does your local choir sing in Welsh? If so, you have another reason to join.

    ReplyDelete
  20. JOHN - I think it is shameful that in English schools, children are not taught a single word of Welsh or Scottish Gaelic. French, German , Spanish - yes! But ancient languages that are still used on our island are even marginalised by the school curriculum. Just a smattering of words and pharses would convey to our children a sense that though English is dominant there was another time and other ways of communicating.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Anonymous6:57 am

    I'm so relieved and choked up over the ghost hens...I'm in love with those little ladies! Thanks again for taking them in, John. You're a hero.
    Next time you made a video will you speak in what little Welsch you remember? I've always heard it's a musical language and I'd love to hear what it sounds like.
    Dia
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  22. When mum lived on Anglesey, hearing Welsh spoken was the norm. I love how the Welsh can switch to English mid sentence !

    ReplyDelete
  23. ok, I am confused. Are we calling her Frankie, or Connie? Set me sgtraight.

    ReplyDelete
  24. It makes me sad that the Welsh language is dying out. Can't stand how everything has to become so homogenized - always.

    Since I'm fairly new to the blogging world, I don't know the story of how you came to adopt the ghost hens, but I'm so thrilled that the little broken girls you first took in have become the ladies they were meant to be. A little bit of love goes a long way.

    Thank you for being the kind caring person that you are. If you're not St. Francis in disguise, you're certainly making him very proud!

    ReplyDelete

I love all comments Except abusive ones from arseholes