The Kids are alright

A near empty cinema (just the way I like it) and a cracking film.... just the thing for a bloody wintry Monday evening I can tell you. I have just enjoyed the comedy/drama The Kids Are All Right...yes you know ...it's the one about lesbian parents with kids who meet up with the sperm donor guy!
Humm all very modern day.......
Only it isn't! Writer/ director Lisa Cholodenko has crafted a interesting and wry look not only about lesbian relations in middle age ( she nails completely the slightly cloying intensity of many couples I have known over the years) but also the bittersweet reality of parenthood, long term intimacy, puberty and marriage.
Middle age doctor Nic ( Annette Bening) and long term partner Jules (Julianne Moore) and their two teenage children Joni and Lazer (   a talented Mia Wasikowska and Josh Hutcherson) are finding their way through the trials and tribulations of normal family life......They have their own problems (Nic is a somewhat of a control freak with am unhealthy liking for good red wine and Jules is an unfulfilled mom with no direction) , but when the children locate their rather immature but likable sperm donor father (Mark Ruffalo )....chaos ensues!
Yes , it is all very grown up, and at times bitingly funny and then immensely moving....and I have never seen Annette Benning  as good as she is in her difficult role of a rather unlikable,prickly and totally vulnerable Nic. She is quite simply magnificent
The film is really not about lesbians it is just a movie about those invisible ties all  families possess in some shape and form....... and although bright and sassy, it is never sentimental, or smug It's just........well very good .
I gave it an 8.5 out of 10 

6 comments:

  1. Think I have actually heard about that one! Sounds like my kind of movie, I hope it comes to the video store.

    Oh, golly, aren't you tired? Oops, I forgot, your warranty hasn't run out yet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I have heard of this film and wanted to see it. Now we will thanks to you John!
    Jim

    ReplyDelete
  3. Often thought I would like to have kids. But don't think I would have been a good parent.....would have smothered them to death. I would have been a wreck!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sounds like a movie I would like. I love Annette Benning.

    How are things going with the Bulldog?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous6:34 am

    I was all excited about this movie when it was first released but couldn't get to it right away, then forgot. This is the first review I've heard. Thanks for the reminder...it's going on the Netflix list now.
    Any thoughtful insights into family life are helpful at this point!
    Dia

    ReplyDelete
  6. We want to see this one. For some reason, we never found the time to see it in a proper theater so we'll wait for the DVD.

    ReplyDelete

I love all comments Except abusive ones from arseholes