Is it me?

Now I was not too bothered about missing "My Matt" on x factor this evening.....I really dislike The Beatles  (it was a Beatle theme night) so even Matt, his slightly overlong vest and a load of ladies in pink lycra couldn't help "Come together!".......which is a great shame- I do hope he isn't kicked out tomorrow night...thank goodness I am working Night shift....I couldn't watch this wonderful example of Essex manhood getting knocked out of this all important tv game show !
This evening ,Chris and I took his father to the new Chinese Restaurant which has opened up in Prestatyn and to be fair the food was excellent!
Yes there is going to be a "but" inserted here......
BUT the service and the atmosphere however was awful.
Our 16 year old waitress left her thumb print in the duck pancakes before she put them down on the table and every time she cheerfully served us our next banquet course, her cardigan sleeves seemed to inch lower and lower towards our food!
The low point of the evening came when two young men walked into the restaurant and after buying two bottles of beer at the bar walked into the dining area to have an extensive stand up conversation with a couple who were sat down at the next table!
Is it me, but is this behaviour completely unacceptable?
What is the matter with people nowadays?
Aren't people taught the social graces anymore?
We soon paid the bill and as we were leaving, I grabbed the manager and told him in no uncertain words that I thought his acceptance of the "standing beer drinking visitors" was a big mistake!
If we wanted to eat in a pub, then we would have spent a load less money and would have done so!
He agreed in a slightly non assertive way and I flounced out with the moral high ground firmly fixed between my teeth......


I know I am a snob....and I do hate uncouth people

13 comments:

  1. Sorry your evening didn't go as well as it could have, but I had to chuckle at you flouncing out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love to see your 'flounce' - get the video out! LOL! But, 'Yes!' such behaviour is unacceptable in my book - it's like the early morning walkers who seem to regularly meet outside my bedroom window between 5amand 6 am and have a loud conversation, seemingly unaware that at that hour their voices carry the full length of the quiet street!

    ReplyDelete
  3. In short, no, you're not a snob at all and it's not just you. I would have felt the same way. I WISH I could answer your question about what has happened good old-fashioned manners, because it seems to be almost extinct. My husband gets nervous when I bring this to people's attention when we go out since he's very non-confrontational, but my feeling is that if I'm going to spend my very hard-earned $$$ to go out and enjoy myself, I have certain rights and expectations.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ROTF!!!!!!!!!!!!

    You're not a snob, you're a Queen!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are not a snob John...you have standards...nothing wrong with that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Food sounded good! I too hate situations like this. I wish I would have the courage to accept the outcome if the 'guilty party' were confronted by none other than myself. That way at least there was a chance that they may learn something....or I get an earful from them. Telling the manager, who wants their money too, may be futile. On the other hand, if this is a common occurrence at this place, in time word will spread that it is basically a 'pub'.
    Deep breath John.....you big SNOB! lol
    Jim

    ReplyDelete
  8. Not a thing wrong with expecting manners and respect for the other people dining.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It ruins your whole dining experience, when you have to listen to loud, overbearing people, who think the whole restaurant is nothing more than their own personal dining room. Manners...ha is there still such an animal ?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can't stand it when I go out to dinner & my own friends spend the evening texting & answering phone calls ... How Rude !!!

    They keep choosing totally the wrong song for Matt. Cheryl was very unprofessional last night & Louie is just an idiot. The only one on the panel with any manners is Danni .

    ReplyDelete
  11. How different we are!

    I love being the recipient of comedically shambolic service, provided that it’s not something ‘important’ like healthcare or emergency service (unlike eating out, which is a luxury). What I don’t like is ‘service’ that is aggressive and locates the customer as ‘trouble’ or ‘in the way’ (public transport comes to mind) or that which is ‘smug’ and used to perform class or social position and serves to subjugate those doing the work (tight-arsed waiters, ‘first class’ service, etc.).

    Of course, you know that I really don’t like ‘eating out’ in general, and find it difficult to find it pleasurable in most circumstances. I don’t like ‘being served’ (my class sensibility makes this uncomfortable), and find it very hard when someone else clears my plate away: I have to sit on my hands. Social etiquette is a ‘concern’, but so is paying someone a reasonable wage and offering them good working conditions: something that, unfortunately, many ‘hospitality’ establishments don’t do.

    As for the ‘standing next to the table’ observation: yes, I would find this very, very annoying, although no more annoying than a hovering maître d who needs to ask me every five minutes whether everything is OK. For me, this is just a question of ‘space’ and how we now occupy it, vis-à-vis a revised set of social relationships and norms – people are now more inclined to demarcate and colonise a social space for their own use, rather than allow themselves to be ordered by it.

    Personally, if with friends, I’d much rather go to the bakery or store, buy some food to take out, and snack in a casual location: car, field, kitchen table, wherever. But I never ever, ‘eat’ in the street whilst walking (I’m terribly snobbish about this), with the exception of ice cream! In my kooky world, one never eats ice cream indoors, unless you’re under ten years of age.

    People’s food rules are so fascinating, particularly when most people sometimes give them no thought at all.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Don't blame you at all... you are paying good money and you should expect manners from the wait staff as well as fellow diners.
    As far as Matt is concerned... I've had to give up watching X-Factor as it's just too hyper, annoying and over staged. I'll sneek a peek at Matt on youtube the following day. Like you, I'm not a Beatles fan and Matt managed to pick one of the very worst ones! But he had his arms on show so all is forgiven.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good for you! I would have been very annoyed.

    ReplyDelete

I love all comments Except abusive ones from arseholes