Constance Watching


Constance leg hugging


I will not apologise for sounding like a new parent. I sound like a new parent because I AM a new parent. Having a new animal in the house has always had the potential for trouble. Established pecking orders, attachments to human pack leader and house rules are often turned upside down not only by the arrival of a new dog, but more importantly by mistakes made by the humans of the household.
After looking after 6 dogs, I feel as though I am a bit of an expert at this "bedding in" lark!
and I know that there are several rules that have to followed when a new dog arrives

1. Routine is adhered to at all times.
2  favouritism to the newbe is not shown
3. ALL dogs are ignored from time to time to re enforce your own dominance
4  Feeding is done separately
5. Behaviour needs to be watched closely

Last night the dog pack here has fused nicely. Like I said in last night's blog the fact that all four dogs playfully stood at the door waiting for my arrival signified that they are now acting as one. I tested this by taking Constance out for a short walk on her own, so when we arrived back I watched the other dogs carefully and was pleased when dog leader William trotted over to sniff his welcome at Constance's nose and mouth. 
When separated, a pack will always "greet" each other when reunited even if the separation is brief, watching this ritual occur is always healthy moment !

As for Constance herself, she remains a lazy and benign presence at the cottage. Last night I watched her lumber over to Albert ( who had flattened out Chris' knitting to fashion himself a comfortable bed). With her little piggy eyes never leaving his face, she lent forward to give him one almighty "sniff" and as he sat his ground, she acquiesced to his confidence and collapsed in front of the fire ( cat now higher status than Bulldog!)
After meals she has started to become playful with William and a more mistrusting Meg which is another healthy sign , but for 90% of the day she remains a lumpy, snoring mass lying somewhere in a comfortable and warm corner.

Things have normalised

The pack awaiting their morning walk ( apologies for the scenic bin bag)


22 comments:

  1. What do you do if a Rottweiller shags your leg?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I see terriers!!! I love that class! Constance seems to be fitting in well. Wonder if the time will ever come that she thinks she is a terrier??

    ReplyDelete
  3. Everyone looks happy and content.
    I had to wonder if you use leashes (leads) to walk the dogs ?
    When I had six dogs to walk, I used harnesses, three on one side and three on the other, it was quite a juggling act.
    I found out later (by mistake), the neighborhood children had nicknamed me the crazy dog lady :)
    I'll take that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tom
    I wouldn't mind as long as he has bought me a gin and toni first!

    Brit
    I look like charlton Heston in the charriot race from BEN HUR when I take them out on their leads

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your family is beautiful John!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You must get a lot of pleasure from keeping a few dogs. I am or rather was a one dog person. I would have had more but hubs said he could only cope with one at a time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Its nice when a new doggy fits in smoothly :O). You just never know how it will go. Frankie is just cuteness, cuteness I tell you! oops I mean Constance, for some reason Frankie seems to be sticking with me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Constance is bigger than I had envisioned!
    Oh, Yah, the cat always reigns. In a household anyway. :-)
    Happy that the transition went so smoothly.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm glad that Constance is fitting in so well. Your description of pack dynamics was very educational. As a "cat lady" myself, I don't know much at all about dogs, and love to learn.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds like a crazy bit of wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The answer was 'fake an orgasm', as I'm sure you already knew. This next joke is a bit ruder, so please forgive me in advance (and everyone else stop reading). It was told by a young woman in mixed company, to a mixed response:

    What do you do if a chihuahua shags your leg? Pick it up and give it a blow job. (sorry, but it really amuses me)

    ReplyDelete
  12. .....sigh
    the jokes slide gracefully into the gutter
    lol

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a cutie! I'm glad she's fitting in well.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am enjoying the progress of the melding of the pack! Constance is a treasure as are all of your animals. xo

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a happy looking bunch! I just love that pushed in face!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Now that's one content and happy lot!! The Welsh Whisperer exists.
    Jim

    ReplyDelete
  17. hi there! thanks for adding my blog. had to come over and check out yours as well! glad i did. your place and life looks lovely! look forward to hearing and seeing more.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Anonymous4:11 am

    Constance is gorgeous and she knows it!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Tomorrow is a holiday here in the states... Thanksgiving Day. I know you don't celebrate it in Wales, but I would like to let you know I'm thankful that I found your blog, that I enjoy reading your blog and that I have learned a lot from your posts. So, thanks for blogging! And I'm glad to read that your pack has settled so nicely. You are a great pack leader. Alpha! :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. she knows she has found a forever and loving home.......

    Gill in Canada

    ReplyDelete
  21. Anonymous6:16 pm

    You're such an astute observer of animal behaviour...it's fascinating to follow the assimilation of Constance into the pack and greater household. I notice she's now "Constance" 100% of the time. It seems she's gradually morphed into a full member of the family on just about every level now.
    (And really, aren't we all proud, unabashed parents of our pets?)

    ReplyDelete

I love all comments Except abusive ones from arseholes