Update Monday

It is a case of the calm before the storm. Today looks as though it is going to be a beautiful day. The weather is set to change tomorrow for the entire week (surprise fu*cking surprise!), so I have had to get cracking with essential dry day jobs. Between 8am and 2pm I have cleaned out the majority of the hen houses, the shed, the quail cage and the outside store room. The dogs have had a four mile walk (they didn't have a proper walk yesterday due to all the Sainsbury's shenanigans) and I have just sat down with my first (yes first!) coffee of the day
I remember I promised to give you all an update on the characters of the field (charity work, weather moaning and lyrical blogging about Matt "be still my beating heart" Cardle seem to have taken centre stage somewhat, so with coffee up in hand here is a brief run down of the news.


Red (bottom left) and his five quail hatchlings have now all feathered up nicely in the shed., a few more weeks before they are set up in their own miniature enclosure on the field, the youngsters are growing beautifully and strangely for tiny birds are the most chilled out and calm animals I have ever looked after ( with the exception of Boris)
The runner ducklings (below) are quite another story..it took me an absolute age to creep up on the seven nutcases when they were sunbathing this afternoon....and still the photograph is not too clear. Although I can hear quacking, I still cannot ascertain exactly where the noise is coming from amid the chaos, so sexing the little buggers is difficult .....I need to get going on this as Dan in Huddersfield is ready for his babies to be set up in his garden........"patience grasshopper....patience" 




I photographed Gloria when she was half asleep in the sun this morning. For most of the year she has been moulting, and has resembled a somewhat shopworn old tart, but now just before winter, she has feathered up and looks quite beautiful in her virginal white.


 The ghost hens are the girls that have changed the most in the few months I have had them . They are huge bumbling birds that remind me of the maid from Tom and Jerry, what with their ham sized drumsticks barely able to keep their over bred meaty bodies upright and in motion, but their life on the field remains calm, unhurried and I won't apologise for making their short lives as stress free as I can.
One girl is already showing the signs of cardiac failure ( breathless with an exercise tolerance of say ten steps!) but they have survived longer that I have expected given their genetic make up, and that fact gives me so much pleasure, I couldn't tell you. Hopefully they will make it through their first winter.
And finally Boris!..... after his sexual over exertion and collapse of the summer, he has bounced back slowly after more TLC than I care to admit . I have made sure that he has corn every night when he is put to bed and the extra rations have allowed the old boy to pile on the weight he lost so quickly when he was ill.
This morning he sat with me for a few minutes when I tried to photograph him and Gloria, and snorted loudly in my ear like a randy horse.....he's a real sweetie!  

21 comments:

  1. Your birds are great John!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Shop worn old tart" - LOL! John, you need your own show!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Boris, you're looking good honey.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Things seem to grow up fast around your place! The baby quail are adorable! The ducklings appear to be about full grown, the ghost hens are huge, maybe now is the time to start eating them? Gloria looks lovely and Boris seems to be as gorgeous as before!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good update on the critters! Boris is a real cutie John. I think he likes you a lot......maybe he is 'one of us'.
    Jim

    ReplyDelete
  6. I's say AFFIRMATIVE to that Jimbob!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Boris! How handsome he is! And Red looks like he's caught up with the others.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am laughing at your descriptions of your birds. They all seem to have their own personalities don't they?

    Gill in Canada

    ReplyDelete
  9. Quote:- "sexing the little buggers is difficult".... Good Lord sir - if you must indulge in bestiality, couldn't you try something other than poultry? Perhaps a bristly Tamworth or a well-bred Dalmatian.

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh mr puddin'
    your city gutteral mind!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Boris looks great!!!

    I am so glad Red made it!!

    Looks very lush and green there where you are! I know your tired of the rain, I do so appreciate you sharing and sending some our way :O)...

    ReplyDelete
  12. John, your animals are just amazing. So beautiful and healthy looking. What kind of turkey is Boris? I want one so badly. He is just beautiful and you seem to enjoy him so much!
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anonymous4:51 am

    Well, now I'm utterly fascinated by the ghost hens. I missed your earlier descriptions and didn't realize they were hens that had been selectively bred to the point of deformity. I've only heard of that kind of thing in legends. Will you eat them? I hope you don't apologize for giving them a loving, peaceful, stress free home for as long as they last!! I'm lost in admiration for the care you give them and, indeed, all your animals. You're a very, very good Farmer John. :-)
    Dia

    ReplyDelete
  14. Glad to see Red's doing well.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What lovely beasts and birds and they are lucky to have you. I enjoy your way with words. "shopworn old tart' indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  16. dia
    I was tickled pink that you called me a "farmer" I am far too soft to be one!!!
    The Ghosthens are battery hens bred to pile on the weight in a matter of weeks after hatching.... they are usually fed on barley apparantly and therefore have multi organ failure if not culled literally within weeks of hatching
    when I got them the poor things could not stand or walk and non had ever seen sunlight....by rights I should cull them ( my surplus cockerels will be culled this week and put in the freezer) but I have not the heart to kill these sad fat birds!


    Amy
    Boris is a Norfolk Bronze turkey, an older English breed

    yorkshire pud

    yes pigs will be on the cards very soon we had two until last year

    ReplyDelete
  17. its a long story but they were not eating pigs but a charity case pot bellied pair...
    there was a clause in our contract for the field that forbid pigs (I had not read the small print) so the landlords told me to get rid....so they were moved to a zoo in cambridgshire!
    I now have got permission for the pigs now so want a couple of eaters!

    ReplyDelete
  18. What great pics of the birds "at the farm". Bet you wish it wasn't Boris but Matt Cardle who was sitting with you, snorting loudly in your ear like a randy horse! (He,he, couldn't resist!)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ah John this was a great post. You made me laugh out loud twice....good thing my hubby is totally deaf without his hearing aids in! I love all your critters but I think Boris is becoming my favorite along with the quails. Great pictures. Enjoy your evening and stay warm and dry...at least try.
    Maura :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. WOW. I don't think I've EVER seen Runner Ducks at rest.

    ReplyDelete

I love all comments Except abusive ones from arseholes